Panic Merchants

orlandoblue

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the 6 month we'll see the first of low fixed term, high LTV buyers (taken advantage of the low rates we've had for the last few years) who will be forced to renew their mortages at a higher rate - this is a major risk for NR due to their loan book. I would say it currently is less secure than its been.

It is, however, less of a risk for a company taking over, who would do so with the intent of retaining the business.

Guest Fast_Action
You've missed my point. Buying £75k of shares is a gamble regardless of how sure fire a winner it is.

No?

No. That would be an investment.

Guest Fast_Action
It is, however, less of a risk for a company taking over, who would do so with the intent of retaining the business.

Correct. And as far as LTV business in concerned - are we are about to see another flood of negative equity?

Whoever owns the debt does not change the risk involved with it. :blink:

Say, for example, HBOS follow up their cheeky takeover enquiry last week. They buy the business for the mortgage book, with the intention of retaining these customers when the rates come to expiry. There is a risk, of course, in all these people not paying their mortgages after the fixed term (however, the risk is diluted in HBOS overall risk). However, the greater return for HBOS retaining these customers on new fixed rates adds to the cost saving of having to compete in the marketplace for these customers, even if 50% of these customers dont shop around and stay with HBOS, then it is a decent chunk of the mortgage market added to the books.

Was that the offer price they were at mate?

They're still at 282.75. I finish Uni at 1 tomorrow so if they're still below £3 I'm gonna go into RBS and get a grand's worth (wish I had £75k to spend :( )

Guest Fast_Action
Was that the offer price they were at mate?

They're still at 282.75. I finish Uni at 1 tomorrow so if they're still below £3 I'm gonna go into RBS and get a grand's worth (wish I had £75k to spend :( )

They dipped after I bought mine, and I was hoping that they would dip further. Someone picked up a thousand for about 262.

Guest Captain Saintsible

I'm thinking of a bit of a gamble myself tomorrow now.

£1000 is all I'm going to though.......:lol:

I think a fast (action) buck could be made here........

No. That would be an investment.

You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to :rolleyes:

One man's "investment" is another man's "gamble". He has a point. It's the same thing to a greater extent.

I might have been tempted into a wee cheeky investment in Northern Rock myself if I actually had a share dealing account and much in the way of spare cash. I think you're right that they'll bounce back. I'd be disappointed if you didn't doubel your money eventually. Of course, the crucial factor is how long that will take and what else yuo could have made on it in the meantime.

Guest Fast_Action
You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to :rolleyes:

One man's "investment" is another man's "gamble". He has a point. It's the same thing to a greater extent.

Buying shares is an enabling of business as well as being an investment. There is a return for the investor as well as an injection of good medicine for the business. There is the risk that share prices may drop, but even if they do, my money will have enabled business and wealth creation, and thus is a good thing to do.

To adhere to that principle, yes - I should have bought those extra shares whether the price dropped or not.

But to be pragmatic about it - I do need a shirt ironed for tomorrow. ;)

Guest Fast_Action
I think a fast (action) buck could be made here........

A fast (action) buck will be made here m'lud. Were I a gambling man, I would bet on it. ;)

500 at 262

Up at 305.75 - a 16% profit. Although that only works out at about £200, after costs. Holding them for a longer term than a day though!

Yep, a nice start.

I'd expect once the panic subsides around the end of this week/beginning of next they will bounce back to around £3.75.

Buying shares is an enabling of business as well as being an investment. There is a return for the investor as well as an injection of good medicine for the business. There is the risk that share prices may drop, but even if they do, my money will have enabled business and wealth creation, and thus is a good thing to do.

Meanwhile giving money to a bookmaker sees it disappear into a black hole.

Fanny :rolleyes:

Archived