P&b Running Club

That's okay sitting in the house.

What will they be like when you go out running in them?

:P

Been using them for a month now and they're fine.

Hi p&b runners. I'm needing some advice on starting off as I'm pretty unfit for my age and looking to get my fitness up. I can run a 5k in around 32mins on the treadmill but don't really know how I go about having a training plan? How many nights a week should I run? Is it better do work your fitness up on the treadmill before road running? I've honestly not a clue about anything so any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently in training for the half marathon on 04 September and I have found a good website for tracking your runs - http://runkeeper.com/. The real benefit of this is that, unlike some GPS sites, it allows you to include pathsways and parks in your runs. Having been exclusively a 5km and 10km runner, I decided to start my training runs at 11km and build up from there (doing two runs of that distance a week, in addition to the Parkrun at the weekend). This week I have done my two 14km runs in 1hr 4m 24s and 1hr 4m 10s respectively, which I am quite happy about. Not feeling too bad after running the longer distances, so not too concerned about struggling towards the end of the race. Hoping to get under 1hr 40m at least, which I think should be possible.

I have also found that the distance training really helps my 5km times - went sub 20 mins a couple of weeks ago on the Parkrun (Pollok Park), which is a first for me over 5km.

sorry I was just being stupid

It's cool, a saw what team you supported and worked that out ;)

They are surprisingly good trainners though.

Hi p&b runners. I'm needing some advice on starting off as I'm pretty unfit for my age and looking to get my fitness up. I can run a 5k in around 32mins on the treadmill but don't really know how I go about having a training plan? How many nights a week should I run? Is it better do work your fitness up on the treadmill before road running? I've honestly not a clue about anything so any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on what you are looking for - if you search on google for a chosen distance you should be able to find a suitable programme. You should be able to assess what is a good starting point for each distance.

Most training plans for beginners will see you run 4 to 5 times a week with maybe a days cross training as well. There will also be a mixture of speedwork (fast intervals, fartleks etc) and longer runs (usually at the weekends)

Most beginners plans that I've seen start with 3 days running and the odd day cross training. I'd recommend that if you're moving from treadmill to road (although everyone's different). The good thing is that if your plan is no good for you (and you'll know one way or another) you'll be able to easily find another one that suits your needs (be that less or more runs per week).

just back in after my first run in about a fortnight, mrs ranter insisting I do promised decorating for last two weeks. Managed 12.4km in 68mins. 1st 7k was hard, rest was even harder cos my stoopid phone decided to stop playing music. Feel great now that my lungs and heart are back to normal, basking in my endorphin glow. Green Day's American Idiot is the best running playlist ever - just about every track is a good pace for matching your feet to. It rocks.

Alright Sir,

Get a decent pair of running trainers if you don't already have a pair.

Id suggest alternating between treadmill and outdoor.

Can't remember what I did when I started out running but I run every week day if I can. If I am running 10k then I will have a day off before and after.

I found you are best setting yourself a target, for instance I would aim for sub 30min 5k if I was you. Also sign up for a 5k event. Falkirk Park run for instance. This will give you some motivation.

Im doing the park run when Im home in a few weeks. Ran 5k last night on the treadmill 23.54. Not a PB but in the work sauna/gym Im quite happy with that.

Edited by young_bairn

Does anyone know about a run in Carnwath at the end of July.

I'm sure i read somewhere it was under threat but locals had tried to organise it, as it's one of the oldest in Scotland.

Think it's about 3 and a alf miles.

Ran the inagaural Falkirk Parkrun on Saturday morning in 23:38. Came 48th out of 146 runners.

Still confident of getting sub-22:30 but that hill at the side of the golf course is a nightmare :lol:

Question for those of you with more experience than me - what's better for aching muscles post-run - a shower or a soak in a hot bath?

I know the best answer is probably an ice bath, as professional sportspeople do that, but I'm too much of a woose for that caper. Plus my nether regions are small enough already, thanks. So I'm only interested in hot shower or hot bath.

I think current logic suggest cold, not hot. The cold water drives blood away from the capillaries in your skin, back into your muscles, aiding recovery.

Yup cold bath.

I was afraid that was going to be the recommendation I got back, however,

bag of frozen peas on any niggles helps as well - you can feel the difference in a matter of moments

This seems worth a try and is eminently more bearable than dunking your 'nads in cold water.

I had to ask as I ran 13k yesterday, could maybe have plodded on some more, yet within 10 mins of getting home and stopping, my calves were like rock and even walking was torture. Thanks to all 3 of you for taking the time to reply.

I was afraid that was going to be the recommendation I got back, however,

This seems worth a try and is eminently more bearable than dunking your 'nads in cold water.

I had to ask as I ran 13k yesterday, could maybe have plodded on some more, yet within 10 mins of getting home and stopping, my calves were like rock and even walking was torture. Thanks to all 3 of you for taking the time to reply.

I've seen myself jump into the shower after a hard session and run cold water over my legs for 5-10 mins. Works a treat and beats sitting in an ice bath, freezing my nads off.