P&b Running Club

Finally decided to get my arse in gear and start preparing for the Glasgow half marathon, by going out and aiming for the distance, regardless of time.

Managed 13.44 miles, which is the furthest I've ever run in my nelly puff, though from 11 onwards it was a real struggle. Half Marathon times at 1:59, which I'm chuffed with considering I'd've taken anything under 2 hours, I'm an old git, I'm at the arse end of a cold (the green, slimy mucus stage), and most tellingly, I'm crap at distance running!

This is not a great appraoch and you could very well end up hurting yourself quite badly. Best idea would be to build up your mileage gradually with a taper a week or two before the race.

Its not just your muscles that need to adapt but your heart, lungs and bones.

There are plenty of 1/2 marathon training programmes online

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=1%2F2+marathon+training&oq=1%2F2+ma&aq=1&aqi=g4&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3.1.0l4.0.0.1.109.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.erf1.1.0.0.RKRg_KOfBcg&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=fbfa53bcc7ff6d03&biw=864&bih=443

This is not a great appraoch and you could very well end up hurting yourself quite badly. Best idea would be to build up your mileage gradually with a taper a week or two before the race.

Its not just your muscles that need to adapt but your heart, lungs and bones.

There are plenty of 1/2 marathon training programmes online

http://www.google.co...biw=864&bih=443

I've been doing a couple of between 6 and 10 mile runs a week, it's not that I just had a 'eureka' moment and got off the couch, strapped on my gutties and ran for 13 miles. It is, however, the first time I've done a half marathon distance.

Overall I normally run 25-35km a week, depending on whether I've got out 2 or 3 times. The last couple if months I've restricted my running a bit in defernce ot gym work to try and build up a bit, but now is the time to get back out on the road.

It was truly fucking shite. The finishing area was a disorganised load of bollocks shoved down a side street and the traffic was fucking terrible getting out of there. Never again.

This. I'm sure Gaz and Halfaperson will also testify to this. We ran the Relay last year and it took hours for 4 of us to finally meet up....in Castle Street car park <_<

There would need to be a route change and greatly improved finishing area for me to do this again. However, it's her to stay in it's present format. The marathon has gotten so big so quickly they cannot have it finishing at Meadowbank or the park.

Mmm. Sounds good. Still not sold though. If I go through with it will I say goodbye to my social life and not be able to walk for a week after it. I also go on holiday in August so that's a week limited training.

How about if I don't get a London 2013 place a Falkirk contingent enter Loch Ness for next year?

I've been doing a couple of between 6 and 10 mile runs a week, it's not that I just had a 'eureka' moment and got off the couch, strapped on my gutties and ran for 13 miles. It is, however, the first time I've done a half marathon distance.

Overall I normally run 25-35km a week, depending on whether I've got out 2 or 3 times. The last couple if months I've restricted my running a bit in defernce ot gym work to try and build up a bit, but now is the time to get back out on the road.

Fair enough but you can see where I got that notion from

Finally decided to get my arse in gear and start preparing for the Glasgow half marathon, by going out and aiming for the distance, regardless of time.

was out this morning for my final run for the women's 10k on Sunday. Will go for a wee swim on Friday and that will be me.

Looking forward to it, if you're about the south side of Glasgow on Sunday morning come and cheer us on!

Back at the physio - tilted kneecap is the explanation for the pain, along with the fact my IT band is very tight. I've got exercises to do to strengthen the quads and glutes, but ultimately running is not good for me.

I've to stick to the bike!

These applications you can get are brilliant. Went a run using adidas micoach on tueday.

Time - 20:19

Distance - 3.92 km

Highest ascent - 55m

I'm only doing two or three runs a week to keep myself ticking over now my football seasons finished but being able to gather all the data after each run actually makes you want to go back out again.

I'm going to go for a bit of a longer run this afternoon.

:rolleyes:

Got back out running on Saturday and again on Tuesday (3.5 miles and 5 miles) followed by five a side last night, aiming for 5-6 miles tomorrow to keep the training going. Not too bothered about time at the moment, just want to get the miles into my legs.

Well, as predicted a hot bath was just the ticket. Women's 10k was a great event again, despite the wind and rain I managed to run 1:12:09 which was 2 minutes 20 faster than last year. Slow progress but I'm delighted as I've got a bit of a cold as well. :D

All this slagging the Edinburgh Marathon's taking is worrying me - I'll hopefully have finished the half by this time in two weeks. I live near Haymarket and was planning on just jumping on a train from Musselburgh back there. Seems like the only option if I want to be home by teatime unsure.gif

Just back from 6.6 miles in 48:25. Out in 25.10 into a headwind, so a decent negative split. Have been finding motivation hard to come by recently and forced myself out, but that felt really good.

All this slagging the Edinburgh Marathon's taking is worrying me - I'll hopefully have finished the half by this time in two weeks. I live near Haymarket and was planning on just jumping on a train from Musselburgh back there. Seems like the only option if I want to be home by teatime unsure.gif

Its a relatively long walk to the train station, particularly after running 26 miles. ;)

Its a relatively long walk to the train station, particularly after running 26 miles. ;)

Only 13 for me - I'm not ready for more yet - but having now checked, I agree wholeheartedly. Plan B is going to be given some thought now.