P&b Running Club

Going to try and fulfill my dream of running at every parkrun in the world (3 down, 300 odd to go) by doing the Vicky park run. Not confident of getting a PB this time, I hadn't run in over a week and it showed this morning when I puffed and wheezed round a wee 2.5k route. Didn't help nearly getting accosted by a witch and a pink bunny on their way home from a party.

Victoria Park is probably going to be the quickest course in the area as it is more enclosed than Strathclyde Park and just as flat. Only problem is lapping people at the tighter areas of the course - a real issue when doing three laps!

Victoria Park is probably going to be the quickest course in the area as it is more enclosed than Strathclyde Park and just as flat. Only problem is lapping people at the tighter areas of the course - a real issue when doing three laps!

Cheers. It's not likely to be an issue for me though!

Going to try and fulfill my dream of running at every parkrun in the world (3 down, 300 odd to go) by doing the Vicky park run. Not confident of getting a PB this time, I hadn't run in over a week and it showed this morning when I puffed and wheezed round a wee 2.5k route. Didn't help nearly getting accosted by a witch and a pink bunny on their way home from a party.

Accosted by a witch and pink bunny eh! Bit of role play, bet that wasn't cheap.

I have my second 10k in a month next week, unfortunately i haven't ran since the GSR, and my diet has been horrific(blame asda for selling Jaffa cakes for 50p).

Gonna have to blast in 4 days running before next week just to ensure I get round.

Likewise, Hoss, I blame my local for selling me pints at cost price last night for my poor performance this morning. Still, made it out my scratcher to try out the Vicky Parkrun. As Bishyton says, it's a great course, although there is a hill just after the pond which I walked up like a boss on laps 2+3. Bit demoralising getting lapped but that's always going to happen on a 3 lap course.

So that's 4 different park runs under my belt. Next week, Camp Bastion, Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

Course pb for me at Victoria Park this morning and second fastest 5km I have ever done - 18 mins 42 secs. Pretty amazing as I am only in half decent shape and conditions were not ideal. Can see me going well below 18.30 on that course in the future!

First run over four miles in getting on for 18 months. It's really, and I mean really, shite to struggle round a hilly run in 40 minutes, with a couple of walks included, that I could zoom round in 34 before.

Can never get the time to build up fitness properly these days. It's so frustrating.

Well done Bishy. That course is certainly good for a PB, although your "non-hilly" patter didn't really comfort me on the 2nd and 3rd lap walk-and-pant-and-wheeze up the precipice just after the narrow bit. 

It is a slight uphill ffs lol. It seems flat as a pancake to me as I am used to Pollok and Tollcross which are far tougher.

Anyone else do the British Heart Foundation Edinburgh 10k today? Talk about hills...

Some cretin told me it wasn't too hilly as you just ran round the base of Arthur's Seat. The lying b*****d. You started at the Scottish Parliament, ran basically 2/3 up Arthur's Seat, back down to Parliament, then back up the hill and down again. The second time up was a serious struggle.

Did it in 57 minutes dead - I was targeting 55, which I was on for after one circuit but the uphill killed me the second time round. Had it been flat I'd have been confident of a 52. 57 though was 13 minutes best than my previous 10k PB!

I did the Lochaber Half today. The aim was to do it in sub 1:30 and my watch time was 1:29:56. A bit close for comfort and I'll be gutted if my official time is the wrong side of 90 minutes.

I did the Lochaber Half today. The aim was to do it in sub 1:30 and my watch time was 1:29:56. A bit close for comfort and I'll be gutted if my official time is the wrong side of 90 minutes.

Good effort Ziggy. Hope you're under the hour and a half. Whats that course like? I might try and take that one in next year.

My longer runs are over for the year, so just 10s and parkruns for winter. Need to get the pace back up, so a quick 2km thrash round hogganfield loch this afternoon.

Good effort Ziggy. Hope you're under the hour and a half. Whats that course like? I might try and take that one in next year.

My longer runs are over for the year, so just 10s and parkruns for winter. Need to get the pace back up, so a quick 2km thrash round hogganfield loch this afternoon.

Thanks.

The course is fairly dull, the 1st and last miles are in Fort William and the rest are just an out and back over an undulating but mostly flat rural road. The views of snow capped mountains as you head back into town were amazing.

It was the first half that I have done that wasn't a large city event. There were very few spectators and because there were less than 200 entrants I was running on my own for most of it. Tbh I enjoyed that, it seemed a lot less hassle than either the Edinburgh or Glasgow Halfs.

I'd definitely do it again but it would be a killer in windier conditions. The last mile is slightly uphill and today it was also into a strong wind.

Edited to add. That's the official time up. 1:29:57, Delighted with that.

Edited by Ziggy

Given it's getting into the minus figures, anyone recommend any decent winter running gear?

I have a couple hyperwarm nike tops which do the business but looking for other options too.

Thanks.

Its always my hands and ears that end up freezing.

I can still generally run with just a normal (long sleeved) top on and shorts and if wet/windy a waterproof jacket - just so long as I dont have to hang about before or after then run too long. my torso/legs dont seem to get that cold.

even in winter I still end up a big sweaty mess.