P&b Running Club

That's just about the perfect time.

I've managed to get my pal to enter and we have both put down an estimate of between 90 & 95 min so I'll see you at the start TM.

I've also entered the Alloa Half Marathon. It takes place on the 16th of March (4 weeks before my marathon) and I'll use it to see what sort of shape I'm in. I estimated between 80 and 90 min although I'm also no where near that just now.

After being a lazy shite since November, entering these has made me all enthusiastic again and that probably means one thing, I'll injure myself soon.

Good timing for the half marathon. I did the Great Scottish Run 4/5 weeks before I did the loch ness marathon in 2011 - a great idea to test your pacing before the big one

I really need an event to keep my focus up - as soon as I sign up for soemthing I know I will keep going even on the coldest and wettest days. I think it is because I'm a bit tight and cant bear the thought of losing money.

I think I am going to sign up for the great edinburgh run, I have applied for the ballot for the great north run (if I dont get in I might try the Moray Marathon) and I will hopefully manage the Great Scottish Run this year.

LouisBalfour.jpg

GREAT!

Passed my driving test so now have no excuse for not going to the parkrun. Will get down to Pollok park on Saturday morning. Hopefully make it a regular thing again

I've just volunteered to be the tail-runner for this as a way of getting back into the saddle after 2 months, so at least you won't come last!

I've just volunteered to be the tail-runner for this as a way of getting back into the saddle after 2 months, so at least you won't come last!

Good stuff mate. Tailrunner is the one volunteering job that I could never do - I would get so frustrated if someone just walked the whole way.

Good stuff mate. Tailrunner is the one volunteering job that I could never do - I would get so frustrated if someone just walked the whole way.

That raises a good point actually Bishy. I see the slowest times are usually around the 45 minute mark, which is pretty much the time I would get if I was walking normally. Not sure whether it's better to walk it or to "run" it at walking speed!

you are pretty much tied to whatever the last runner is doing. ive done it a few times and it can either be great as you are encouraging someone who is trying hardor you can get stuck with grumpy kid/wife/husband/mate who doesnt want to be there.

Aye, I've heard that can happen ... grumpy teenagers forced out their beds at the scrake of dawn to be dragged round a park-run. I'd be much rather be encouraging someone making an effort, rather than trying to make conversation with a surly kid for three quarters of an hour!

Signed up for the Great North Run in September.

8.5 months to build up to a 13 mile run.

I reckon that's doable.

It's a ballot - no guarantee of entry. I've applied for the London marathon about 6 times now and not had a sniff

Edited by diamonds2002

It's a ballot - no guarantee of entry. I've applied for the London marathon about 6 times now and not had a sniff

There is other way of getting in to it.

If you buy the season ticket you are guaranteed a place for 3 years. Also, you can run it for a charity. Quite a lot of charities have already been awarded places. You just have to pledge a certain amount.

There is other way of getting in to it.

If you buy the season ticket you are guaranteed a place for 3 years. Also, you can run it for a charity. Quite a lot of charities have already been awarded places. You just have to pledge a certain amount.

I was unaware of the season ticket thing that is very interesting. I know there are places reserved for local clubs etc but this in news to me .

I dont want to run for one of the big charities rather get a balot place and rasie some money for a smaller charity

edit to add too pricey for me - I have other options if I dont get a ballot place http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Information.aspx?ctid=472&id=1

Edited by diamonds2002

I'm the same. Despite volunteering about 30 times in the last year I have never been tailrunner.

Last night I did my my longest run since the start of November (a massive 5 miles :lol: ) and I'm feeling no ill effects from it so I'll be off to Strathclyde Park in the morning to try and help a pal to a PB. However I'll rip the pish out him if I don't think he's tried hard enough.

I think I am going to sign up for the great edinburgh run, I have applied for the ballot for the great north run (if I dont get in I might try the Moray Marathon) and I will hopefully manage the Great Scottish Run this year.

Moray Marathon course is great. Might see you there (likewise, if I don't get into GNR).

I was unaware of the season ticket thing that is very interesting. I know there are places reserved for local clubs etc but this in news to me .

I dont want to run for one of the big charities rather get a balot place and rasie some money for a smaller charity

edit to add too pricey for me - I have other options if I dont get a ballot place http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Information.aspx?ctid=472&id=1

There is no club places for the GNR. As it is know in the north east as the Great North Ripoff. When asked why there is no club places the response was "There is that much demand, why would I give places away?"

I have a great big gripe as I lose my training facility for 3-4 weeks for the Great North run (at the finish) as they store everything and have a big marquee there and we barely get a thank you from Nova International. On the plus side they do pay us £50 per person for the water station (which is harder than the run as you are there from 8am unloading till 3pm).

Ran 2mile X-C race in 12:40, which I am happy with as it's my first race back in 4 months after major surgery.

I've done strength and conditioning session on the beach on Tuesday and hills/steps session on Thursday. Legs were screaming in agony on Thursday.

There is no club places for the GNR. As it is know in the north east as the Great North Ripoff. When asked why there is no club places the response was "There is that much demand, why would I give places away?"

I have a great big gripe as I lose my training facility for 3-4 weeks for the Great North run (at the finish) as they store everything and have a big marquee there and we barely get a thank you from Nova International. On the plus side they do pay us £50 per person for the water station (which is harder than the run as you are there from 8am unloading till 3pm).

Ran 2mile X-C race in 12:40, which I am happy with as it's my first race back in 4 months after major surgery.

I've done strength and conditioning session on the beach on Tuesday and hills/steps session on Thursday. Legs were screaming in agony on Thursday.

You have run it before though haven't you?