P&b Running Club

I manage about 16kmh in 45s to 1m bursts on the treadmill, with a minute walking in between. Even at my best I can manage a 10k in about 47 minutes, which is about 12.5kmh. How long have you been running that you can manage to keep that pace up for that long?

I am 1. Pretty fit, 2. Sheer bloody minded and 3. Insane lol. Those kind of runs half kill me tbh - really struggle towards the end of them. Will be worth it if I get a good time in Balloch to Clydebank HM.

I used to be regular on here. Picked up an injury, got married, went on honey moon, went on another holiday and then it was christmas. So now injury free and started running again im looking forward to getting back to where i was. Aim is sub 45min 10k by march along with sub 20min 5k. Not going to be plesent.

I would suggest aiming for sub 42 mins 10k if you are capable of sub 20 mins 5k. They are rough equivalents of each other.

I used to be regular on here. Picked up an injury, got married, went on honey moon, went on another holiday and then it was christmas. So now injury free and started running again im looking forward to getting back to where i was. Aim is sub 45min 10k by march along with sub 20min 5k. Not going to be plesent.

^^^not running, but still getting plenty exercise ;) ^^^

:lol:

I am 1. Pretty fit, 2. Sheer bloody minded and 3. Insane lol. Those kind of runs half kill me tbh - really struggle towards the end of them. Will be worth it if I get a good time in Balloch to Clydebank HM.

I would suggest aiming for sub 42 mins 10k if you are capable of sub 20 mins 5k. They are rough equivalents of each other.

Interval training which worked for me was set you're steady pace on a treadmill and hit a speed slightly higher than your target pace. For example I have was working towards sub 40 min 10km so would run 14km/h then put the speed up to 16.5km/h. This would be done in 200meters, 400meters and 600m intervals. Then build up the distance i.e. 5 Km 6km 7km ect. It seemed to be working until the plantar fasciitis killed the training.

Yeah Iv ran sub 41 minute 10k before but setting eays(ish) targets as last quick 10km was about 4 months ago. Infact Im going to get some races boooked so at least I have some motivation :)

Parkrun newbie questions. I've registered and printed my barcode with the intention to run at Pollok Park tomorrow morning. Do I need to do anything before I start the run or do I just pitch up and run? How do they get my time (I've setup to get a text message with result)?

Parkrun newbie questions. I've registered and printed my barcode with the intention to run at Pollok Park tomorrow morning. Do I need to do anything before I start the run or do I just pitch up and run? How do they get my time (I've setup to get a text message with result)?

Just pitch up.

They give you a finishing token with a recorded time (I'm simplifying). They match that token with your barcode.

Edited by Ziggy

Just turn up and run. you get a token with your position number when you finish which is scanned at the same time as your barcode. This is then match up to the timing device at the finish. Usually get a text or email about lunchtime depending on how busy the run is.

Yeah exactly. If you are looking to go sub 20 mins then I would get as close to the front as possible. Might see you there as I am probably going to Pollok Park tomorrow morning.

Yeah, that's the intention, although the forecast of strong winds and snow could make it quite a challenge. I'll most likely be the only person wearing a QP top, feel free to introduce yourself before you run off into the distance!

I'm going back to Strathclyde parkrun tomorrow to run with my my pal who is attempting to go sub 23 (just 2 weeks after he went sub 24 for the first time). I'll go around the loch a couple of times to bump up the mileage a bit.

Then I'm going to the treatment hub to see if I need orthotic insoles or not.

Enjoyed and impressed by the organisation of the parkrun this morning. I'll certainly be doing it again. Not sure what happened but my trusty watch played funny buggers, so I've no idea of my time but the pacing I was getting was not good enough for a sub 20 minute run, which is disappointing. Will need to wait for my time from parkrun.

I think I saw BishyTon, but thought the 'hey, are you that guy from that online forum' conversation starter would be a bit creepy if it wasn't you.

Edited by Kenzie

Enjoyed and impressed by the organisation of the parkrun this morning. I'll certainly be doing it again. Not sure what happened but my trusty watch played funny buggers, so I've no idea of my time but the pacing I was getting was not good enough for a sub 20 minute run, which is disappointing. Will need to wait for my time from parkrun.

I think I saw BishyTon, but thought the 'hey, are you that guy from that online forum' conversation starter would be a bit creepy if it wasn't you.

Lol. Looks like you got round in 19 mins 28 secs mate - that is really good for a first time at Pollok Park, especially on the alternate course.

18 mins 54 secs for me. Relatively pleased with that given said alternate course and slightly windy conditions.

Did 400m reps on Tuesday in the pissing rain. all around 79-80 secs. did 4 x 1k efforts on Thursday. 3 of them were 3:45 and the last one at 3:35. Parkrun today was 20:55. 2nd Fastest 5k. going out for a 10 miler tomorrow. Hill session on Tuesday and 30 min Fartlek on Thursday. Then a return to the X-C races on Saturday.

parkruns are great. I've ran lots of them at 5 different locations and they are all different in terms of terrain and numbers of runners but in my opinion Pollok is one of the best. I've found that my Garmin plays up a bit there, I've always assumed that it is due to the trees but I'm just guessing.

I went to Strathclyde this morning and anyone that has done it will appreciate that today's windy conditions made it rather hard work. That meant my pal didn't get his sub 23 but he still pb'd by about 20 seconds so still a good effort.

I then went to get assessed for orthotics and, after hearing all the things that I have wrong with my feet, I'm surprised I've been able to run at all :lol: .

parkruns are great. I've ran lots of them at 5 different locations and they are all different in terms of terrain and numbers of runners but in my opinion Pollok is one of the best. I've found that my Garmin plays up a bit there, I've always assumed that it is due to the trees but I'm just guessing.

Yeah my Garmin is the same around there. It has the course about 200m or so short, but when you see the map it is clear that it is cutting parts of the course out. I think that is down to the trees.

Did 19km this morning which went reasonably well.

I'm running a steady 40km per week now which is good, just got to add a couple of sprint training runs in now that I've got the two longer runs a week dialed in. Where I stay is pretty hilly so all my runs from here end with a killer couple of km to finish. At stages I'm barely moving faster than walking pace. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have developed some better muscle tone and stamina and can keep my pace steady even up those hills.

First day of trying the SIS recovery shake thing after the run along with an electrolyte tablet in my drink. Might be too soon to tell but I think it has made a difference to my energy levels today.

Well done to the park runners. Some of those 5km times are amazing!