P&b Running Club

Well done mate , I think Parkrun is a tricky one to pace in all honesty because it's a short distance you tend to just go for it.

I find myself setting off with the better runners and just being swept up in their pace. These guys are running 6-6.30 minute miles. I can't keep up with that. My first mile was 6.48, second 6.58 and the third 7.55.

Why is that when I'm doing a big run these days (i.e. half marathon) the bag of stuff I need has more stuff in it than when I go away on holiday?

Anyway, I've got a plaster over a blister that isn't actually a blister but looks like it wants to become one, I'm sitting sweltering in TWO pairs of shorts to prevent chafing (and indecency) and I've got blue medical tape over my nips for the same reason. So now all I have to do is get two trains and a fucking ferry to Dunoon for their half marathon. 

Why is that when I'm doing a big run these days (i.e. half marathon) the bag of stuff I need has more stuff in it than when I go away on holiday?
Anyway, I've got a plaster over a blister that isn't actually a blister but looks like it wants to become one, I'm sitting sweltering in TWO pairs of shorts to prevent chafing (and indecency) and I've got blue medical tape over my nips for the same reason. So now all I have to do is get two trains and a fucking ferry to Dunoon for their half marathon. 

Good luck

Well still alive although my hitherto uninjured knee despite giving me serious ballache around the 5 mile mark. Plundered on and finished in 1hr 49, which I'm pretty happy with since I've not ran further than 10k in nearly a year. 

Rough Runner tomorrow though :/

Well still alive although my hitherto uninjured knee despite giving me serious ballache around the 5 mile mark. Plundered on and finished in 1hr 49, which I'm pretty happy with since I've not ran further than 10k in nearly a year. 
Rough Runner tomorrow though :/

Well done mate. What's rough runner?

31 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Well done mate. What's rough runner?

Cheers. It's a 10k event up near S. Queensferry... which is a mixture of running and obstacles like you'd see at Tough Mudder or Total Wipeout. It's more about the obstacles than the running which is handy because I won't be able to do much more than an undignified hobble. 

Cheers. It's a 10k event up near S. Queensferry... which is a mixture of running and obstacles like you'd see at Tough Mudder or Total Wipeout. It's more about the obstacles than the running which is handy because I won't be able to do much more than an undignified hobble. 

Sounds thoroughly unpleasant

Chortle. I'll report back tomorrow. Defo not up for a Tough Mudder type experience ... I think this focuses more on water type games. 

It's based on game show obstacles, like a total wipe out type thing. I quite fancy giving it a go but never got round to signing up for it.

The absolute horror of a semi-developed dad bod has driven me to start running. I've got good experience with hill walking and cycling but I've enjoyed the freedom the running has given me in the last two weeks and feel the benefit already. I also chucked the fags in January so pleased with my lung performance so far too!

I'm doing the couch to 5k, is it a sensible introduction programme?

The absolute horror of a semi-developed dad bod has driven me to start running. I've got good experience with hill walking and cycling but I've enjoyed the freedom the running has given me in the last two weeks and feel the benefit already. I also chucked the fags in January so pleased with my lung performance so far too!

I did that and found it shite. Each to their own tho mate. It you feel like it's working fir you then bash on

20 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

That is exactly where I started about 14 years ago - I was very unfit at the time.  I went on from that and have run 3 marathons - I would tell anyone that is the best place to start as it allows your body to adapt to the changes and you set your own pace.  I used time rather than distance as my measure and by the end of it was running further than 5k.

Well despite my concerns, Rough Runner was brilliant. It was basically like Total Wipeout but on a much smaller scale. And they even had a travelator (from Gladiators) at the end. The big water slide bit was broken but apart from that it was braw. 

Well despite my concerns, Rough Runner was brilliant. It was basically like Total Wipeout but on a much smaller scale. And they even had a travelator (from Gladiators) at the end. The big water slide bit was broken but apart from that it was braw. 

How did you fair in the travelator?

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

How did you fair in the travelator?

No bad thanks. There were actually 4 travelators of varying speeds. The first one was nearly impossible so I ended up falling on my arse but managed to do the 2nd one without too much problem. Would heartily recommend this event - it is nothing like Tough Mudder. 

• 2 weeks later...

Recently decided to take up more running to supplement my thai boxing as my cardio and endurance has always let me down. Went and did one of those Park Run 5k's in Pollock Park this morning and managed 21:46. Dunno why but felt a bit disappointed with that time. Was keeping pace with all the running club folks at first but it's that endurance at the end they all had that saw them pull away when I started to lag hard.

Aim to try do a half marathon next year but was pretty deid after that so could be a long hard road.