The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Jesse Ryder in an induced coma after taking a tanking from a group of guys outside a Christchutch bar.

No real surprise sadly when you hear some of the stories about him.

Was headed to the IPL too...

I haven't heard these tales. Such as?

Having read his twitter... it's not surprising. Sounds like he'd lose to Paul Slane at Mastermind.

I haven't heard these tales. Such as?

Having read his twitter... it's not surprising. Sounds like he'd lose to Paul Slane at Mastermind.

The stories are he's got a mouth on him when drinking. No surprises there. He's had a few nightclub/bar fights apparently in NZ.

Ian O'Brien's tweet is quite revealing. Along the lines of "He's a lovely fella when sober, but a total p***k when he has a drink in him".

• 3 weeks later...

The Australians have named their Ashes squad. You'd be forgiven for accusing the selectors of not knowing what they are doing. Brad Haddin, who had been dropped for the last Indian test, is recalled as vice captain. In bad news for England, no Mitchell Johnson.

Whats happened to Johnson?Rated number one test bowler in the world a couple of years ago i recall.Didnt he have some personal problems which affected his game? His wife was a bit of a roaster was she not?

He had a tremendous start to his career. Then he came to England and basically got the yips. With a bowling action as low as that, any hiccup and it basically negates his effectiveness. He's never really got it back since. I feel a bit sorry for him, because he seems alright for an Australian cricket player.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, Durham have put more tickets on general sale for the Ashes test this summer. I managed to get ones for the Saturday and Sunday in the same block as my mates who got theirs ages ago. £80 a pop mind but it's been on my to do list for years so delighted (cue 2 days of solid downpour).

Back to the present, and even watching the highlights of that Test was dull. Fair play to the Kiwis who continue to punch above their weight this year.

I think Andersons lost some pace since 2003 but his accuracy has improved so much.

In celebration of his 300, i'll leave this here.

Man I'm looking forward to the Ashes.

I quite like the fact that I like the English cricket team. I don't know why I do I just do. Like the vast majority of Scottish football fans I hate their football team and really fucking hate their rugby team. But I like their cricket team. I think it might be to do with the fact that they were so shit when I was growing up - they always got stick from the media. Then they got good.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to the Ashes.

I think their cricket team has always had more likeable people. It's impossible to like teams with Will Carling and Jeremy Guscott or John Terry. But Phil Tuffnell, Freddy Flintoff and even Mike Atherton seem more rounded. Also compare then to Australian players over the years (with the exception of Mark Taylor). And of course Scotland don't have a test team.

First test is beautifully poised just now.

England are rightly favourites from here in, but if NZ can polish the,off quickly tomorrow morning, chasing 270 ish. Mmmm.. never know.