Garden Options

HGG

Well, has anyone started anything so far this year??

I'm chitting my early potatoes already.

I'm off to buy my earlies later this week, so I'll be chitting them by the weekend with any luck. :) Haven't really planned what I'll be planting this year, but the kids enjoyed growing the carrots last year so they'll be on the cards again. I forgot all about the swedes and sprouts being out there. Wonder how they're doing?! Most of their leaves got attacked by slugs last year so I'm not convinced there's going to be anything at all happened under the soil but I'll have to go out there at some point and empty the trugs anyway.

I need to be more vigilant against the slugs and snails this year. There was one great big fat slug out there last year - so full with my plants that it could barely move. Just you wait Mr Slug!... <_<

I'm off to buy my earlies later this week, so I'll be chitting them by the weekend with any luck. :) Haven't really planned what I'll be planting this year, but the kids enjoyed growing the carrots last year so they'll be on the cards again. I forgot all about the swedes and sprouts being out there. Wonder how they're doing?! Most of their leaves got attacked by slugs last year so I'm not convinced there's going to be anything at all happened under the soil but I'll have to go out there at some point and empty the trugs anyway.

I need to be more vigilant against the slugs and snails this year. There was one great big fat slug out there last year - so full with my plants that it could barely move. Just you wait Mr Slug!... <_<

:thumsup2 Dug over a patch about 6 feet by 6 feet in December and dug some compost into it. Last week we bought Garlic (need to get that out pronto), Carrots, Spuds, leeks, onions and parsley. Lets see how it goes. Also have some more mulch to dig in. Smallest childs idea, but somehow yours truly eneded up doing the slog.

:thumsup2 Dug over a patch about 6 feet by 6 feet in December and dug some compost into it. Last week we bought Garlic (need to get that out pronto), Carrots, Spuds, leeks, onions and parsley. Lets see how it goes. Also have some more mulch to dig in. Smallest childs idea, but somehow yours truly eneded up doing the slog.

Stick your garlic bulbs in amongst other plants. It's good for them.

• 1 month later...

My grass is beginning to look as if it needs a cut. It gets earlier every year now. And the last cut later.

I haven't been able to get much done. The weather has been terrible. Still i will be complaining soon that there is to much.

I've not been able to get out much, but my grass is getting to the stage that it's going to need its first cut of the year soon. The rhubarb has started growing already, so I guess it's time to get thinking about planting things. Garden's a mess. The wee greenhouse thing we have has been ruined by high winds so the front of it has ripped off. Saw a bigger better one in Argos last week for much cheapness, so think we'll get that for the tomatoes and the chillies.

I've not been able to get out much, but my grass is getting to the stage that it's going to need its first cut of the year soon. The rhubarb has started growing already, so I guess it's time to get thinking about planting things. Garden's a mess. The wee greenhouse thing we have has been ruined by high winds so the front of it has ripped off. Saw a bigger better one in Argos last week for much cheapness, so think we'll get that for the tomatoes and the chillies.

My Rhubarb is growing as well. I had a lot of cuttings that have not survived the winter.Last year i saved a fortune on plants for tubs/baskets etc.Looks like i will need to start from scratch.

I dug over the veg bed and I'm going to start feeding everything.As you say everything is a bit of a mess.Still lots of bulbs up and signs of life.

Started the herbs off in the greenhouse as well (sage, parsley, coriander, tarragon so far) will also start sowing chives and thyme hopefully this weekend.

The tomato seeds i've sown are not germinating so will start again - that cold snap a couple of weeks ago didn't help. :( Might give up and get plug plants instead!

Hopefully get the earlies in the ground this weekend as well as the shallot sets :)

Been out tidying up this morning. Got the grass cut and weeded the bit where all the chuckies are (I'd love to get rid of that and just put grass down there) and Ryan's dug out the veggie plot. He's off to the garden centre at the mo to get some tatties for planting. Going to build the new greenhouse thing this afternoon and we'll hopefully get things started in there. This is the greenhouse we bought. Seems a bit better than the last one we had - it's also a lot bigger so we'll hopefully get a lot more from it. :)

Just finished powerwashing the monoblock in the back garden.

It was to give it a clean up and remove alot of the moss that had gathered when the last people stayed here.

We bought a garden furniture set from Argos a few weeks

link - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...re|12107509.htm

I was considering building the set up and putting it out.

Is it still to early to do that? Or do you think it would be ok?

My fiance went down to B&Q and bought some plants that she wants for the garden, so Ill probably give her a hand with planting them too :)

It makes such a nice change to have a wee garden :)

Oh, and we got pretty much bugger all from the planting in Sept but I expected that.

Hopefully we'll do better this year.... a few lessons learned etc. :)

Edited by MattBairn

Some pics of my garden after power washing :)

IMG_0001.jpg

Im going to put the furniture in here.

IMG_0002.jpg

I need to put some of the stuff away :P

IMG_0003.jpg

I still need to do a bit of weeding, but once that's done its just the grass and plants to take care of :)

My garden is a debacle just now.

I was going to go out and do a bit of work in it today, but I ended up taking the kids down the beach instead. Where it was fecking freezing. My daughter did manage to put a stick through a jellyfish which made her day.

Should be able to get the grass cut sometime next week if the weather stays like this. Need to start weeding too and I have grasses in the borders that need to be dug out as they are taking over. And I have the railings to get painted. I hate painting bloody railings.

I am growing a rosemary hedge too which is doing really well. I will let it get to about three foot high and start shaping it out from there. It's also brilliant for disguising cigarette smoke on your fingers when you go out for a fly one <_<

3356553715_9d1ee78e7d.jpg

Well that's what we've got to show for a hard day's work. The veggies are ready to be planted, the greenhouse thing is up and ready for use, the grass is cut and looking in decent nick, and the weeds were pulled from the chuckies. Hope we get some good weather so we can get planting. :D

3356553715_9d1ee78e7d.jpg

Well that's what we've got to show for a hard day's work. The veggies are ready to be planted, the greenhouse thing is up and ready for use, the grass is cut and looking in decent nick, and the weeds were pulled from the chuckies. Hope we get some good weather so we can get planting. :D

Looking good! :)

I have a small fence/wall to build before I can plant my veg.

Hopefully that'll get done over the next week or so.:)

I managed to build up my garden furniture, so I put it out. Hopefully it wont be too cold over the next month.

IMG_0005.jpg

:D

Did a load of tiding up.

Rescued what cuttings i have left, Fed the lawn and moss killed it.

It is hard to know where to start.Grass cut nx weekend.

I have early flowering Clematis growing,need to Tom-rite them and get some more Trellis.

Spent some of Saturday in greenhouse, sowing seeds. Planted out the earlies in the raised bed. :)

Put a cloche over the other raised bed to warm up the soil. Maybe plant the shallot sets this weekend.

Weeded the borders and cleaned all the pots that were empty in preparation for new plants coming soon. :D

Mrs X spent a load of money in the local garden centre yesterday buying plants for the garden. Her and the kids planted them when we came back and its looking good :D

Im currently hatching a plan to redo the pond in the back garden - but it involves digging up a couple of big bushes, that could prove a pain in the arse <_<

I cut the grass today and did the edging.

I got some 'after cut' stuff to put on the grass to improve the look of it (kills moss and makes the grass greener or something) For some reason it looks a bit shitty now.

Do I have top put it on after cutting as I cant be bothered doing it just now.

Would it be ok to do it tomorrow?

I also built up my new BBQ as I might use it at the weekend if its nice :)