Garden Options

HGG

:lol: HGG- England's answer to Wendy Alexander!

:o So you think people would see me on their screen and instantly want to reach out and slap me? Or turn my face the right way up? Thanks a bunch. Pal! :guns

Oh... and also... I answer questions when asked! <_<

Good stuff!

Good stuff? The guy's just pulling the wotsit here! So rude.

A Rochdale loon turned up today for the garage. My email advertising it said that I'd had the power disconnected and the roof isn't here because it blew off last winter. We arranged last night for him to collect it today.

He turned up late, in a car smaller than a Punto. Then he said he couldn't collect the garage till tomorrow but wanted to have a look at it. First thing he said then was "is there a roof on it, yeah?". Then he went inside, saw the light bulbs attached to the roof beams and asked "is there electric in here?". Um, yeah - the roof's hiding where we can't see it and the electrician just sat around for half an hour not disconnecting anything yesterday! <_< Anyhoo, he's due back here at 1pm tomorrow to take the thing away. I really hope this goes better than I anticipate after today's visit. :huh:

A Rochdale loon turned up today for the garage. My email advertising it said that I'd had the power disconnected and the roof isn't here because it blew off last winter. We arranged last night for him to collect it today.

He turned up late, in a car smaller than a Punto. Then he said he couldn't collect the garage till tomorrow but wanted to have a look at it. First thing he said then was "is there a roof on it, yeah?". Then he went inside, saw the light bulbs attached to the roof beams and asked "is there electric in here?". Um, yeah - the roof's hiding where we can't see it and the electrician just sat around for half an hour not disconnecting anything yesterday! <_< Anyhoo, he's due back here at 1pm tomorrow to take the thing away. I really hope this goes better than I anticipate after today's visit. :huh:

Oh no!

I was going to sell him a chainsaw as well.

Oh no!

:lol:

He's trying to *grow* trees, not cut them down. Plus I'd worry that if you sold him a chainsaw he may make his way down here with it simply to dash my hopes of helping my fruit trees to flourish :(.

:unsure:

Oh no!

That would be great, but you can hang on to it for about 30 years or so yet. My tallest trees are still under a foot in height! None of the instant gratification of the self sufficiency ego trippers for me! :P

That would be great, but you can hang on to it for about 30 years or so yet. My tallest trees are still under a foot in height! None of the instant gratification of the self sufficiency ego trippers for me! :P

Door. Arse. Way out. <_< Goodbye!

My trees grow faster than your trees! :P

Edit because I've remembered lots of information and have no-one else to say it to so you're it! :rolleyes:

Still not planted those onions! However, I had some friends round this morning and one of them turned up with a cherry tomato plant and a chilli pepper plant to add to my collection! :bounce3 She also said she has some spare tubs which they're not using any more and I can have to grow my stuff in. :D

Update on the garage - after Saturday's idiot didn't turn up on Sunday, I contacted another fellow Freecycler who definitely wants the garage and was hoping to collect it by tomorrow. Phone call tonight to say that the earliest they can get it would be a week on Thursday, but they do sound keen. Thinking about it, that's probably better for me as it gives me chance to work out what the hell I'm going to do about fencing my garden in to stop Scott escaping when the garage goes! *Heads off to Yell.com*

Edited by HGG

<_< Thought *you* had vacated this thread!

Cucumber! Now there's something I hadn't thought of growing.

I'm now considering lifting two rows of concrete flags and creating a raised bed for all my stuff to grow in. Not sure how that'd work as the soil will be very compacted from being under the flags for several years. Weeds have been growing up through the cracks in the flags so it can't be too bad under there? Does anyone have any ideas how this would work?

Cucumber! Now there's something I hadn't thought of growing.

That surprises me - the ultimate multi-purpose vegetable!

I'm now considering lifting two rows of concrete flags and creating a raised bed for all my stuff to grow in. Not sure how that'd work as the soil will be very compacted from being under the flags for several years. Weeds have been growing up through the cracks in the flags so it can't be too bad under there? Does anyone have any ideas how this would work?

I think it would work fine. Then, the next time you run out of space you could start growing stuff on your roof.

That surprises me - the ultimate multi-purpose vegetable!

I think it would work fine. Then, the next time you run out of space you could start growing stuff on your roof.

Is anyone else hearing noises on this thread? I'll swear after the end of my last post there's a high-pitched whining noise - bit of a pain in the neck really. :ph34r:

Anyway, if anyone has any relevant experience/knowledge about the best thing to do with the ground once I've lifted the flags.....?

Anyway, if anyone has any relevant experience/knowledge about the best thing to do with the ground once I've lifted the flags.....?

It depends on the surroundings I guess. If its flags surrounded by lots of grass, then it shouldnt be too bad, but if its surrounded by more concrete and less growing things, then it might not be too good.

Essentially, it should be fine, take them up, turn all the soil over, and maybe dig in some compost.

Guest Edzell Blue
Can anyone let me know varieties of tomato, cucumber, chillies etc that will grow in a garage and then outside?

Don't have a greenhouse and the seedlings I had have died off- too cold in garage I think! :(

Cheers.

I don't think you can grow chillies outside in this country but the other two should be available from any garden centre. I cannot name any because I do not grow them and my vegetables book is long out of date. You will be able to get the tomatoes as plants but I'm not sure about cucumbers. If your are interested in vegetables you should get an up to date copy of The Vegetable Expert by Dr D G Hessayon. It should be available from Woolies (cheaper) or garden centres.

I don't think you can grow chillies outside in this country but the other two should be available from any garden centre. I cannot name any because I do not grow them and my vegetables book is long out of date. You will be able to get the tomatoes as plants but I'm not sure about cucumbers. If your are interested in vegetables you should get an up to date copy of The Vegetable Expert by Dr D G Hessayon. It should be available from Woolies (cheaper) or garden centres.

You can grow chillies outside here as long as they get a sunny spot in the garden. They are just as easy to grow as tomatoes and you can grow them outside too.

I've got my chilli plant in the greenhouse. It's not a big greenhouse, it's one of those frames with the plastic sheeting over the top. Got it in the garden centre for £15. Has 4 shelves in it. I'd recommend getting one to anyone growing tomatoes/chillis/peppers etc.

I can just see the freecycle entry in a year's time...

Plant pots, watering can, rake, trowel and seeds all going free. Would like to swap for concrete slabs and a garage.

:lol::lol::lol:

Indeed. We'll see who's laughing soon enough, won't we? You'll be eating your words then. As publicly as you're dishing out the scornful ones just now. I'll show thee, lad!

A friend who grows her own produce gave me a young chilli pepper plant yesterday. She said she keeps them outside and they're easy to grow.

Will look for that. Thanks. ;)

I've got my chilli plant in the greenhouse. It's not a big greenhouse, it's one of those frames with the plastic sheeting over the top. Got it in the garden centre for £15. Has 4 shelves in it. I'd recommend getting one to anyone growing tomatoes/chillis/peppers etc.

Cool, I might have a wee corner next to the fence I could cram one of those in. Will check it out. :D

What on earth happened to the format of this page? I'll bet it's that Hebridean. He's been doing his best to trash this thread.

There was thread about this already a few days ago called "Garden options" but it died a death because everyone accepted that growing your own veg is just stupid.

<_<

Anyway, bumped for Zahana-Oni. This is the place we're all talking about our self-sufficiency missions. All except for Hebs, who's away to count the number of trees he has left... on one hand!