Garden Options

HGG

What about a glass of Dandelion and Burdock?

That has to be my favourite soft drink. I love the stuff! Introduced Mr HGG to it, but I can't remember if he liked it or not so he has to have more next time he's here.

My Mum always used to buy that when we were kids, and I loved it, but she never let us have any. Nothing to do with it making us wet the bed, more to do with the fact that she loved it too, and she was just a selfish cow. :(

:( That makes me a selfish cow too then! Although my kids don't actually *know* that I buy it. Does that make it any better?

The lunacy of spending money and effort on growing the cheapest things you can buy in a supermarket.

Oh. Oh ho. Oh ho ho ho ho ho. :lol: *Stitches sides back together*. Would you care to tell us what you were doing today Mr Hebridean? What things do you have growing in your garden just now? :rolleyes:

:( That makes me a selfish cow too then! Although my kids don't actually *know* that I buy it. Does that make it any better?

Not really, no. Next time you bring them to my house, I'm going to tell them everything. :P

"Can we stay at Lyn-Marie's house? She gives us the decent drink!" :lol:

Guest oddjob

could we pin this thread?

"no, why?"

just a thought

"ok"

So, will it get pinned? Where's the hillwalking thread?

page 4...

Not really, no. Next time you bring them to my house, I'm going to tell them everything. :P

"Can we stay at Lyn-Marie's house? She gives us the decent drink!" :lol:

Ach, they already think you're great. They want to "pop round" to yours. Lisey heard me mention your name the other day and piped up with "they've got a hamster. I want to feed him again."

:lol: It's not really you they want to see - it's your Stuart.! :P

could we pin this thread?

"no, why?"

just a thought

"ok"

So, will it get pinned? Where's the hillwalking thread?

page 4...

errrr... what? :blink:

Ach, they already think you're great. They want to "pop round" to yours. Lisey heard me mention your name the other day and piped up with "they've got a hamster. I want to feed him again."

:lol: It's not really you they want to see - it's your Stuart.! :P

They'll be lucky. We've not seen the bugger in a fortnight. :ph34r:

1st couple of strawberries should be ready for picking this weekend. My peas are looking a bit poorly at one patch though :(

got some basil,chives,corriander and a couple of others planted up now to.

Funnily the only thing i dont seem to ave planted is cabbage :lol:

Funnily the only thing i dont seem to ave planted is cabbage :lol:

:lol:

Thankfully my strawberries won't be ripe for picking this weekend as I'm away till Monday!

Good news though - my garage has finally all gone and I can now get on with getting the rest of my garden sorted out! Everything's growing nicely out there too. :thumsup2

I hope it rains on my plant tubs at home while I'm away this weekend!!!!! :o

After being away for the week I wsa a bit worried but the herbs are all growing excellently and the rocket is now massive. Yummy salads for me :D

Beetroot growing well as are leeks in raised bed. Turnip seeds now nearly ready for planting in.

Cherry tomato plant is producing loads of nice green fruits just now, hope thy turn red soon ! :rolleyes:

I've just to get on top of the weeds now and it'll be back to how I want it :D:D

After being away for the week I wsa a bit worried but the herbs are all growing excellently and the rocket is now massive. Yummy salads for me :D

Beetroot growing well as are leeks in raised bed. Turnip seeds now nearly ready for planting in.

Cherry tomato plant is producing loads of nice green fruits just now, hope thy turn red soon ! :rolleyes:

I've just to get on top of the weeds now and it'll be back to how I want it :D:D

I've barely tended to my produce for a week now and it's flourishing just fine without me. I do need to pay some major attention to my sprouts as they're seriously overcrowded and need repotting and thinning to give them room to grow into something worth eating.

I haven't checked on mine properly since I got back from my latest trip today. Need to get out there tomorrow and have a look. The kids will love that. Expecting the strawberries to start ripening any day now.

I bought two packets of iris bulbs from Lidl earlier in the year. My kids planted them at random all round the garden and they have all come up and they look really nice.

Made incisions into the poppy heads at the weekend and have got the sap out and will dry it before smoking it :P

Edited by Reynard

I've a few weeks to go before digging up the tatties i planted in black bag.

However the plants are well up and i'm just waiting for them to flower now...once the flowers die off they're for the pot :D

What did you do with the tatties?

I haven't enough room in my raised bed and I'm intruged!

Its a wee challenge that i've been reliably informed works quite well.

You either use seed potatoes or normal potatoes that have sprouted and put them in some compost at the bottom of a black bag.Once the shoots come through the compost you keep covering them until the top of the bag.

Then in theory when they're ready to dig up you have a bag with quite a few potatoes in it.

I've also noticed loads of potato fields out at Greenan when i'm out cycling.So whan the farmer has dug up the field i'll have a wander over it and pick up whats missed.Did that a few years ago and ended up with loads :D

Edited by davidkennedyshand

I've also noticed loads of potato fields out at Greenan when i'm out cycling.So whan the farmer has dug up the field i'll have a wander over it and pick up whats missed.Did that a few years ago and ended up with loads :D

Better be quick though! The Gray Ghost used to go out tattie picking with his family when the farmer had been over the field, usually ended with enough to survive for months. However, farmers tend to leave very little time between digging and plouging these days, so you have to get in there as soon as you can.

Guest Edzell Blue

You're also doing the farmer a service by cleaning up his fields a bit because if these potatoes are left then they are liable to grow the following year. If the public harvest these then he doesn't have to bother getting rid of them.

Its a wee challenge that i've been reliably informed works quite well.

You either use seed potatoes or normal potatoes that have sprouted and put them in some compost at the bottom of a black bag.Once the shoots come through the compost you keep covering them until the top of the bag.

Then in theory when they're ready to dig up you have a bag with quite a few potatoes in it.

Right, might try it, I take it you can do this anytime of the year?

What type pf potatoes did you use? :)

Right, might try it, I take it you can do this anytime of the year?

What type pf potatoes did you use? :)

I believe the yield from planting normal potatoes is completely rubbish. I used seed potatoes and they have only been in a couple of weeks - a late maincrop variety for this time of year. I'm growing Valor potatoes which you can get online from various places. A quick Google search gave me a list of all different kinds and I chose a variety that ticked the most boxes for what I wanted. : B)

In fact, if you plant them in August you'd have potatoes for Christmas I believe. Can't see why you couldn't plant potatoes any time of year, although I'm a complete novice myself. :D Have a look here.

Edit: I've heard of the bag-growing technique too. I gather it's quite common. There were various bags and seed potatoes going on eBay a couple of months ago. Mine are growing in big plastic tubs (trugs) as I don't have anywhere else to plant them. I'd be interested to know how dkh's potatoes turn out grown in the bag.

Edited by HGG

Edit: I've heard of the bag-growing technique too. I gather it's quite common. There were various bags and seed potatoes going on eBay a couple of months ago. Mine are growing in big plastic tubs (trugs) as I don't have anywhere else to plant them. I'd be interested to know how dkh's potatoes turn out grown in the bag.

I can't remember what type i used to plant to be honest.Seeing as its only the first time i've tried it i'm just assuming it won't go too well.From what i've read your first attempt usually ends up in pretty small sized potatoes but as the soil becomes used to having potatoes growing in it the quality improves.

Although obviously you can't grow too much in the same soil as all the nutrients will be used up.

Better be quick though! The Gray Ghost used to go out tattie picking with his family when the farmer had been over the field, usually ended with enough to survive for months. However, farmers tend to leave very little time between digging and plouging these days, so you have to get in there as soon as you can.

I cycle past the fields most days if i'm out cycling so it's all in hand. :)