Clubs Who Should Be Smaller/worse Than They Are

Swampy

Leeds are far, far bigger (in English terms; obviously they're bigger than Morton but I mean in terms of standing in clubs in their own country) than Morton.

I'd say Hibs come closer to your description than Morton. Dundee at a push, although they aren't *that* much bigger than Morton.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suprised nobody has said it but Juventus have an awful lot of money and tropheys despite some disgraceful crowds in the past, largely as they are bankrolled by the Agnelli family but also down to shrewd negotiations in the transfer market and not being held to ransome on wages. I would hazard a guess that over half of the EPL teams have a higher wage bill.

Guest Tomsk The Beano
How on earth can Leeds be "doing things above their weight"?

Becuase the players, staff and fans of Leeds United are scum. I hope that they go bust under that dodgy chairman adn all you town wrecking Leeds Scummites are crying into yer bitter for evermore.

The club should have been disbanded in '91 after the disgrace of the Bournemouth weekend.

Leeds - marching on together and trashing towns.

Castel di Sangro

I'd argue that Kilmarnock have been punching above their weight for quite a while.

without doubt they've built a strong side but it appears to be built on the financial equivalent of sand - they simply cannot get the revenue through home support etc to strengthen their side; they rely on cheap buys from the lower divisions and youth players.

Jeffries has done a great job at Kilmarnock but when he goes I can see them sliding down towards relegation quite quickly.

Raith Rovers won the First Division title in 1992/93, with Kilmarnock gaining promotion in second place. Since then, Raith were relegated the next season, yoyoed back whilst winning the Coca Cola Cup, stayed for a season, enjoying a European run also, and then went down again in 1996/97. Since then have never been back into Premier and have spent a few years in the third tier of Scottish football. Killie have never been relegated since getting up in 1993 and are the prototype of sustainability. They used to irritate me being a club of comparable size to Raith and being in the Premier the whole time. Now I have nothing but respect for the way they survive each season, have had high finishes, a couple of years in Europe and a Scottish Cup, all founded on young players and cheap buys from the SFL and the occasional canny buy from abroad.

Leeds are far, far bigger (in English terms; obviously they're bigger than Morton but I mean in terms of standing in clubs in their own country) than Morton.

I'd say Hibs come closer to your description than Morton. Dundee at a push, although they aren't *that* much bigger than Morton.

Obviously, this is all subjective - but no less fun for that. Leeds have spent far, far too much time in lower divisions for a Hibs comparison. I was brought up during the time when Leeds *first* became good and they have fallen, risen and fallen way doooooooooown again. People's perceptions are perhaps more dictated to by recent events but historically I'm not sure that the comparison is totally justifiable

Edited: Dundee Utd? They were not very good in their beginnings, but rose to prominence, and have slipped back (slightly, not on the Leeds scale)

Suprised nobody has said it but Juventus have an awful lot of money and tropheys despite some disgraceful crowds in the past, largely as they are bankrolled by the Agnelli family but also down to shrewd negotiations in the transfer market and not being held to ransome on wages. I would hazard a guess that over half of the EPL teams have a higher wage bill.

But Juventus are a massive club with Italy-wide and worldwide marketing potential. Even before the TV age they were big (as you say) thanks to the Agnellis; the media age, and the worldwide coverage that that entailed, made them bigger.

The fact that their crowds are low merely masks the fact that a massive percentage of the Italian footballing public is cheering them on at home, scarf in hand, advertising income forthcoming.

They are far and away Italy's most popular club.

Obviously, this is all subjective - but no less fun for that. Leeds have spent far, far too much time in lower divisions for a Hibs comparison. I was brought up during the time when Leeds *first* became good and they have fallen, risen and fallen way doooooooooown again. People's perceptions are perhaps more dictated to by recent events but historically I'm not sure that the comparison is totally justifiable

Edited: Dundee Utd? They were not very good in their beginnings, but rose to prominence, and have slipped back (slightly, not on the Leeds scale)

Yeah, Dundee United's another good suggestion.

But Juventus are a massive club with Italy-wide and worldwide marketing potential. Even before the TV age they were big (as you say) thanks to the Agnellis; the media age, and the worldwide coverage that that entailed, made them bigger.

The fact that their crowds are low merely masks the fact that a massive percentage of the Italian footballing public is cheering them on at home, scarf in hand, advertising income forthcoming.

They are far and away Italy's most popular club.

I realise this, perhaps it's just a tad depressing that a load of terroni who buy poor quality copies and don't attend games can keep them as such a big club via TV money. Ghadaffi's Tamoil have helped the forces of evil along the way, not to mention those simply awful danone yogurts.

Relatively large and constant fanbase, moments of glory, done some things that most of Scottish football hasn't yet not too much in the way of trophies.

Leeds are a big club. Morton are not. As Swampy says, Hibs is probably a better example.

Leeds are a big club. Morton are not. As Swampy says, Hibs is probably a better example.

The discussion did continue on a bit further. How were Morton doing in the days when Leeds were perennial 2nd division also rans (near enough 1920-1965)? And, in the context of Scottish Football, how many teams have:

1) won the Scottish Cup

2) have a highest placing of 2nd (or better) in the top flight

3) qualified for European competition.

Are there even 10 clubs in Scotland who can claim all 3

On the total achievement scale, Morton ain't that diddy.

Aye, but (keeping in mind that I'm well aware that Scottish clubs are generally worse in Europe than English ones) Leeds have hit the dizzy heights in Europe on more than one occasion, while Morton got papped out once :P

We'd have qualified again in the late 70s but a gang of people ensured that this wouldn't happen.

Raith Rovers won the First Division title in 1992/93, with Kilmarnock gaining promotion in second place. Since then, Raith were relegated the next season, yoyoed back whilst winning the Coca Cola Cup, stayed for a season, enjoying a European run also, and then went down again in 1996/97. Since then have never been back into Premier and have spent a few years in the third tier of Scottish football. Killie have never been relegated since getting up in 1993 and are the prototype of sustainability. They used to irritate me being a club of comparable size to Raith and being in the Premier the whole time. Now I have nothing but respect for the way they survive each season, have had high finishes, a couple of years in Europe and a Scottish Cup, all founded on young players and cheap buys from the SFL and the occasional canny buy from abroad.

I'd disagree on the sustainability point as they have been force to make massive cuts in wages and squad to atempt to service their large debt.

Kilmarnock overstretched financially and are now in a very difficult position: each season they need a reasonable season simply to pay the interest on the debt.

Unless they find a way to substantialy reduce their debt then eventually they'll have a poor run and may well go into administration.

Jeffries is prolonging their comfortable stay in the SPL.

Archived