Private Eye

djn

Just reading the latest Private Eye - don't remember a thread on P&B about it before, so do any of the masses read it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just reading the latest Private Eye - don't remember a thread on P&B about it before, so do any of the masses read it?

I used to be a regular reader a few years back, but not so much these days. I never really go into any newsagents, so never see it. I sometimes buy it if Im getting the train and want to kill some time.

My dad has always had a subscription so I always read his, never get it at university but would possibly buy it if I saw it in the newsagent and had same spare change going.

Never miss it and haven't for about 20 years.

It's hugely underrated and thought of as a comedy thing.

I much prefer the news and scandal pages like Rotten Boroughs - it's one of the publications which reports what is really going on these days with little fanfare.

I've had a subscription for the last 18 months and I really enjoy reading it. I think it opens your eyes to the truth about politics in this country.

I also really like the cartoons, especially if they manage to offend someone. The letters from people who have been offended are usually hilarious.

I much prefer the news and scandal pages like Rotten Boroughs - it's one of the publications which reports what is really going on these days with little fanfare.

We have about 30+ years of private eyes in the attic! My dad even got a couple off ebay he was missing! :lol:

Read back in 70's, honestly thought it had gone out of business. Did it do so and resurect itself does anyone know. Him, the old Etonian, off the "I have I got news for you" program used have a something to do with it, cant remember the other names ...... age thing Doh! ;)

Read back in 70's, honestly thought it had gone out of business. Did it do so and resurect itself does anyone know. Him, the old Etonian, off the "I have I got news for you" program used have a something to do with it, cant remember the other names ...... age thing Doh! ;)

Ian Hislop - still the editor.

I remember the huge fuss when he got the job when Richard Ingrams retired - some of the writers were outraged at him getting the job as a 26 year old just out of Oxford, but Peter Cook stood by him.

He's the most sued man in English legal history and only won once- even lost to Maxwell but was vindicated in the end.

He didn't go to Eton though....you had me worried there, but just checked and apparantly he went to Ardingly College ( <_< me neither)

I get the Annual every Christmas, but I've never bought the paper.

Great read.

Hasn't it caused Ian Hislop to have the most law suits filed against him of everyone in Britain?

Haven't missed an issue in over 25 years.

interesting to note that BBC News last night was leading with a story that the Eye has been on about for over 2 years - the failure of the new NHS computer system.

I buy it often and agree completely. It is amusing, but shouldn't be seen as a funny publication - it prints the stories that the majority of the media are frightened to touch.

If anyone wants to know what really goes on in Britain, forget the broadsheets. Private Eye will horrify you.

Guest Ron Burgundy

of course one reads it...one of the few publications without an agenda...other than getting it round lying filthy fuckers...which is fair game.

Haven't missed an issue in over 25 years.

interesting to note that BBC News last night was leading with a story that the Eye has been on about for over 2 years - the failure of the new NHS computer system.

This is often the case. Many of their stories are recycled in the mainstream press by poorer journos.

They effectively got Sir John Bourne sacked as well (good work) and are mounting a campaign against a couple of the multi-directorships that are ongoing in the public sector.

Expect a couple of them to get shamed out of office soon.

Private Eye should be compulsory reading in schools.

Guest Ron Burgundy
This is often the case. Many of their stories are recycled in the mainstream press by poorer journos.

They effectively got Sir John Bourne sacked as well (good work) and are mounting a campaign against a couple of the multi-directorships that are ongoing in the public sector.

Expect a couple of them to get shamed out of office soon.

Private Eye should be compulsory reading in schools.

it's just a shame there is not a scottish version to keep a closer eye on the nefarious goings on here....although there was a great article aboutthe SNP sliming up to the First Group.

Archived