Best Film Endings

Frank Booth

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed it is, my favourite film ever.

It's be re-released in October as a 10th anniversary type thingy, it'll be great to see it on the big screen again  :)

So how do you explain all these nuts who say it's pish? Can't understand it. I think it's a really great movie.

So how do you explain all these nuts who say it's pish? Can't understand it. I think it's a really great movie.

Easy.

It's a film in almost everyone's top 10 list of films, and theres certain people who hate to be associated with anything remotely popular. The kind of people who liked Coldplay, Stereophonics, and Oasis before they became huge, then suddenly hated them.

Deep down, these people will like the film of course, as it's classic cinema, and anyone who genuinely doesn't like it doesn't like cinema IMO.

They'll just never admit to it to keep some kind of faux individuality.

Easy.

It's a film in almost everyone's top 10 list of films, and theres certain people who hate to be associated with anything remotely popular. The kind of people who liked Coldplay, Stereophonics, and Oasis before they became huge, then suddenly hated them.

Deep down, these people will like the film of course, as it's classic cinema, and anyone who genuinely doesn't like it doesn't like cinema IMO.

They'll just never admit to it to keep some kind of faux individuality.

Oh smashing, another Braveheart debate!

Alternatively, it's just a cliche ridden, Stephen King written piece of melodramatic tosh, from which Tim Robbins should run and hide because he's actually better than that.

Or because people who say "if you don''t like this, then you don't understand cinema" or similar meaningless phrases inevitably bring this film out as a masterpiece when it patently is nothing of the sort, like it or not.

Because it has tedious quasi-religious undertones.

But mainly, like Oasis, Stereophonics and Coldplay, not to mention Keane, Shawshank Redemption is a bit dull, and not terribly good.

Good endings: 2001 - A Space Odessy, Dead Man, Man on the Moon, Monty Python... Holy Grail, Twin Peaks,

Bad endings: Fight Club (nearly ruins a wonderful film), Donnie Darko (never saw that coming, again spoiling an otherwise splendid movie), The Sixth Sense (You can stop watching this horrid, grotesquely badly acted twaddle when he says "I see dead people"), Blair Witch Project and Wild Things, which is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Guest xbasslichtie
Bad endings: Fight Club (nearly ruins a wonderful film), Donnie Darko (never saw that coming, again spoiling an otherwise splendid movie)

Surely the ending should come as a bit of a twist! If you never saw it coming then the film couldnt have been that bad!

As for fight club, the ending makes sense! What other ending could you put in?

And now back on topic :D

Soylent Green!

Usual Suspects - Gabriel Byrne still thought he was Keyser Soyze up until he watched the premiere of the film.

Kill Bill Volume 2

Who framed Roger Rabbit?

Fight Club.

Jim explain to me why Shawshank Redemption is dull and boring but you rave about Lost in Translation? I just don`t understand why you can say that is dull and boring but rave about the dullest film ever made.

Likewise are you going to say that because I don`t like it didnt quite fully understand it?

Shawshank is a good film, but its nowhere near being the best film made. The end is rather predictable but its quite enjoyable.

Jim explain to me why Shawshank Redemption is dull and boring but you rave about Lost in Translation?  I just don`t understand why you can say that is dull and boring but rave about the dullest film ever made.

Likewise are you going to say that because I don`t like it didnt quite fully understand it?

Shawshank is a good film, but its nowhere near being the best film made.  The end is rather predictable but its quite enjoyable.

Absolutely not. I would never say that to anyone. Except maybe Jim Lauchlan. :P

Look, if a thousand people watch the same film, everyone will take something different from it. If you found Lost in Translation dull, fair enough. Taste in cinema is entirely subjective. I admire the ethereal and visceral qualities of Lost in Translation, whereas films with literal narratives, for example Shawshank Redemption I find predictable and quickly lose interest.

I completely agree, the acclaim Shawshank Redemption receives bewilders me, a bit like the pintsize popular beat combo, the Stereophonics.

On a side-note, what did you think of the ending to Titanic?

Absolutely not. I would never say that to anyone. Except maybe Jim Lauchlan. :P

Look, if a thousand people watch the same film, everyone will take something different from it. If you found Lost in Translation dull, fair enough. Taste in cinema is entirely subjective. I admire the ethereal and visceral qualities of Lost in Translation, whereas films with literal narratives, for example Shawshank Redemption I find predictable and quickly lose interest.

I completely agree, the acclaim Shawshank Redemption receives bewilders me, a bit like the pintsize popular beat combo, the Stereophonics.

On a side-note, what did you think of the ending to Titanic?

The twist at the end was amazing, on a par with the Sixth Sense twist.

The acting in Lost in Translation is superb, Bill Murray easily surpassing his Peter Venkman character! Scarlett Johnansen was really amazing it was hard not to feel exactly what they were feeling in the story. I just found the film dull with nothing really happening in the film. I wasnt having a go I just was slightly bewildered why you thought Shawshank Redemption was dull (which I agree) but found Lost in Translation compelling viewing. I found them both to be dull but there was enjoyable aspects in each of the films.

Stereophonics are also pish. Aye well speaking with Jim Lauchlan I now agree with you Jim, he is a right thick fecker! He is still a good defender though.

Anyone that says you don`t understand cinema just because you don`t like a certain film indeed is very close minded.

Archived