2. Steve Redgrave

1. Carl Lewis

Some of you might need to ask for dad about some of them :P

Mark Spitz

Jesse Owens

Al Oerter (sp?)

Steve Redgrave

Emil Zatopek

What's everyone got Carl Lewis in their five for? A proven cheat, he should never have been allowed to run in Seoul. As for putting him in front of Owens, how many World records did he set in L.A.? It's like the Lance Armstong argument all over again.

Owens, Redgrave & Spitz should be automatics in the five. As for the other two, how's about Fanny Blankers-Cohen and Dawn Fraser?

5 Cassius Clay

4 Olga Korbut

3 Mark Spitz

1= Steve Redgrave

1= Jesse Owens (I can't split the two, Redgrave's was a feat of remarkable endurance but Owen's, whilst perhaps not as amazing in a pure sporting sense, had much more symbolic importance)

Guest Guinness_Alan

Difficult to pick 5, although I agree with some of the ones mentioned. I'll have a go though. :)

5. Nadia Comenecci (sp?)

4. Steve Redgrave

3. Jesse Owens

2. Cassius Clay

1. Mark Spitz

Cassius Clay threw away his medal - so isn't worthy of my top five.

No he didn't. It's one of the many myths that the great man created for himself. Albeit a cracker.

If he had, he'd be number one in my list of one.

Redgrave was in a team event and could have been carried, so he's not in either.

It`s generally accepted that he was the one doing the "carrying", If you can describe any world class rower as being a passenger.

But don`t take my word for it- Around the time he and Pinsett won in Coxless Pairs in Atlanta, one of the guys who came second (Italian, I think, but don`t quote me!) was asked "Which two rowers would be best partnership in Coxless pairs?" - The "Dream Team" if you like.

His reply - "Steve Redgrave and any other rower "

Steve Redgrave is a very worthy inclusion in the all time Top 5, but, as always, only imo.

And, btw, Ali didn`t throw his medal away,that story was a myth created by the great man himself, as Jim Pansy says, he simply lost it over the years.

Archived