Official P&b Cycling Thread

A serious discussion point, fellow cyclists, please.

Today, my son and I took my six and a half years old granddaughter out for a ride. We wanted to expose her to various environments: road and tracks. It was great until about 2 miles from her house, along the road from Renfrew towards the swing bridge over the Cart. It was moderately busy but with her Dad riding outside her and me behind them it felt safe. Most cars were patient, giving us a wide berth and slowing behind us at the frequent pinch points. However, one driver passed us, then pulled into the side, left his car, attempting to block our path, and instructed the child to get onto the pavement. He opined regarding the danger of the situation and our irresponsibility. When we disagreed with him he became abusive. We cycled on our way, continuing on the road but my granddaughter was puzzled and a bit bemused by his rant.

I would genuinely value your comments, guys.

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Today, my son and I took my six and a half years old granddaughter out for a ride. We wanted to expose her to various environments: road and tracks. It was great until about 2 miles from her house, along the road from Renfrew towards the swing bridge over the Cart. It was moderately busy but with her Dad riding outside her and me behind them it felt safe. Most cars were patient, giving us a wide berth and slowing behind us at the frequent pinch points. However, one driver passed us, then pulled into the side, left his car, attempting to block our path, and instructed the child to get onto the pavement. He opined regarding the danger of the situation and our irresponsibility. When we disagreed with him he became abusive. We cycled on our way, continuing on the road but my granddaughter was puzzled and a bit bemused by his rant.

Sounds like a harrowing experience for your granddaughter and for that I'm sorry.   I think you should focus on the positive experiences you all had on the cycle paths and probably take her back there in the future.   Gymnastics is a great alternative if the altercation puts her off cycling for life.  

Regarding the incident; the highway code clearly states that you MUST NEVER ride in an inconsiderate manner.    

Ask yourself the key questions:  

Was the road busy?   You answered yes.  

Was I riding two abreast, in a fixed formation?  Yes.  

Are there frequent pinch points?   Yes  

Was it a nice sunny day with less than 10 shopping weeks till Christmas?    Yes.  

Was your speed slower than the average cyclist?   Given that she's only 6; probable.     

Only you can decide if your cycling was inconsiderate to the other road users.   

I'd a great deal of respect for anyone who challenges irresponsible and illegal cycling, but the person who confronted you was clearly an angry knob, who doesn't know the rules about pedalling on the pavements.    

Anytime I pull up adults cycling with children I always watch my language and I carry around a tub of strawberry candy lollies to ensure all parties leave on harmonious terms.   

Edited by PB 4.2

Is Granny Danger not in Lanzarote?

1 hour ago, PB 4.2 said:

Sounds like a harrowing experience for your granddaughter and for that I'm sorry.   I think you should focus on the positive experiences you all had on the cycle paths and probably take her back there in the future.   Gymnastics is a great alternative if the altercation puts her off cycling for life.  

Regarding the incident; the highway code clearly states that you MUST NEVER ride in an inconsiderate manner.    

Ask yourself the key questions:  

Was the road busy?   You answered yes.  

Was I riding two abreast, in a fixed formation?  Yes.  

Are there frequent pinch points?   Yes  

Was it a nice sunny day with less than 10 shopping weeks till Christmas?    Yes.  

Was your speed slower than the average cyclist?   Given that she's only 6; probable.     

Only you can decide if your cycling was inconsiderate to the other road users.   

I'd a great deal of respect for anyone who challenges irresponsible and illegal cycling, but the person who confronted you was clearly an angry knob, who doesn't know the rules about pedalling on the pavements.    

Anytime I pull up adults cycling with children I always watch my language and I carry around a tub of strawberry candy lollies to ensure all parties leave on harmonious terms.   

Sincerely, thanks for your considered response. Would you say we were unwise to take her along that road, in the circumstances? We certainly did slow the traffic at points, but isn't that something which cyclists all do? How better can we teach children to ride in traffic?

21 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Sincerely, thanks for your considered response. Would you say we were unwise to take her along that road, in the circumstances? We certainly did slow the traffic at points, but isn't that something which cyclists all do? How better can we teach children to ride in traffic?

Don’t listen to him, he’s a confirmed anti-cyclist who claims that he holds talks with the Scottish Government about transport policies. He is well known on this site for his anti cycling views, quite why he is on the cycling page is beyond me. I do believe once he accused me of cruelty to my child because I took him to a Pedal for Scotland on closed roads. 

Your child was with responsible adults who had devised a plan to provide maximum care  whilst travelling on a public road. The man who stopped you was obviously in the minority as other drivers acted with courtesy and consideration to fellow road users like yourselves. Please continue to teach them road manners and good behaviour to other traffic and how to be road aware.

1 hour ago, ark loyal said:

I've cycled the section from Schiehallion and to the south of Loch Tummel.  I'm pretty sure the rest forms part of the route for the Caledonian etape so I'd imagine it's all good too.

Yip, most of that route is in the Etape Caledonia and the roads are pretty good, as far as rural Scottish roads go.

3 hours ago, ark loyal said:

I've cycled the section from Schiehallion and to the south of Loch Tummel.  I'm pretty sure the rest forms part of the route for the Caledonian etape so I'd imagine it's all good too.

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

Yip, most of that route is in the Etape Caledonia and the roads are pretty good, as far as rural Scottish roads go.

Cheers both

Hopefully go up and do it soon 

3 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

So am I .

If anything , us “ c***s” are quite observant 

I was reading a report this morning about how cycling can make you a better driver. So we are scientifically more observant!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000145751730249X?via%3Dihub

52 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

Don’t know if any of you are in the market for a new Camelbak but Wiggle have some of them with 67% off.

Some cracking deals on kit out there just now on most of the good sites

Just spent ages trying to get a new pair of decent overshoes which are actually in stock 

I'm wondering what people think of a situation I found myself in this morning.

I had to take my car to work today, and was going along a narrow-ish road that has parking on one side so is always give and take with oncoming traffic. For the direction I was going, the parking was on the right (i.e. oncoming traffic needed to use the wrong side of the road).

There was a cyclist coming towards me, and cars behind. Not a problem - there was a gap for him to wait in, big enough for a car. So I continued on my way. But instead of sitting in the gap, he continued, moving over to the left intending to pass between me and the parked cars. I stopped and tooted (warning of my presence, natch) which he objected to, claiming there was "plenty of room".

When I'm the cyclist in a scenario like that (needing to give-way to oncoming traffic) I treat it the same as motorists should while overtaking: there might be enough room for me and a car to sit side-by-side, but not safely while moving.  When the way is then clear, I take primary position to stop anyone trying to pass (in either direction) until I can pull in.

Am I over-cautious? Should I have just accepted the cyclist using his own judgement and kept on my way as normal? Should I have met half-way by stopping for my own reassurance but not objecting to him continuing?

He didn't seem interested in me trying to explain that it was his safety I was looking out for. He also had a camera on his helmet so I expect to find myself on YouTube before the morning is out. 

Edited by The Master