Official P&b Cycling Thread

Thought the woman and the Glasgow guy were the more reasonable and normal of the lot. Really impressive what the woman has achieved and she made a good point about the roads being a shared space, not a competitive one. The lawyer also made a good point when he said "Why confront an arsehole motorist? You already know he's an arsehole, what do you think he's going to do when he gets out of the car?"

Why were there no woman cyclists or drivers on either?

The Scottish guy on the doc can be a pretty unreasonable w****r as well, his name is magnaton if you feel like looking him up.

I find most motorists in Glasgow to be fairly reasonable, even the cabbies. Something happens around rush hour however that turns them into raving idiots. I absolutely hate commuting between five and seven, especially in the dark, purely because of the muppets who seem to think that it is ok to cut in front of you or pull out at a junction.

Then you get the idiots who are determined to overtake you, despite the fact that your belting along at 25mph and there is f**k all place for them to go anyway. Pedestrians as well seem pretty unaware of how fast a decent cyclist can go at, and will happily wander out onto the street just yards in front of you, then get pissed off if you can't brake fast enough or clip them.

The Scottish guy on the doc can be a pretty unreasonable w****r as well, his name is magnaton if you feel like looking him up.

I find most motorists in Glasgow to be fairly reasonable, even the cabbies. Something happens around rush hour however that turns them into raving idiots. I absolutely hate commuting between five and seven, especially in the dark, purely because of the muppets who seem to think that it is ok to cut in front of you or pull out at a junction.

Then you get the idiots who are determined to overtake you, despite the fact that your belting along at 25mph and there is f**k all place for them to go anyway. Pedestrians as well seem pretty unaware of how fast a decent cyclist can go at, and will happily wander out onto the street just yards in front of you, then get pissed off if you can't brake fast enough or clip them.

This.

The amount of times I've been belting down the hill on Carmunnock Road at 40-45 mph and folk feel the need to overtake you despite the fact I'm already way over the speed limit.

I think this program missed out on a great opportunity to educate both shite cyclists and shite motorists. But no. It was a complete waste of time.

That web designer seemed like a tool.I try to avoid cycling on main roads when i can.Annoys me when you see a guy on the road when there is a cycle path right next to it.

I only cycle on main roads for about the first 10-15 minutes of a cycle, once I get out towards Eaglesham/Jackton/Strathaven it's lovely and quiet. Far nicer than fighting with traffic for the entire time.

That web designer seemed like a tool.I try to avoid cycling on main roads when i can.Annoys me when you see a guy on the road when there is a cycle path right next to it.

Depends on the cycle path.

I never use the cycle lanes in town because they're pretty much useless. Full of debris and potholes, cars randomly parked, and the roads all warped because of all the buses and trucks rolling down them.

The cycle lanes aren't even connected either, many of them lead to nowhere, or force you to dismount and cross busy roads.

I've used the path from Glasgow to Balloch a few times. Much of it, especially in the build up areas is just broken glass and random crap dumped everywhere.

The roads are a far safer option.

Correct^^^

In the summer we were in Bavaria, and there are proper cycle roads parallel to the car/lorry roads, and the railway tracks - between small towns. Our country really hasn't taken cycling seriously - a splash of paint on the tarmac and some blue signs do not constitute a cycle network.

Depends on the cycle path.

I never use the cycle lanes in town because they're pretty much useless. Full of debris and potholes, cars randomly parked, and the roads all warped because of all the buses and trucks rolling down them.

The cycle lanes aren't even connected either, many of them lead to nowhere, or force you to dismount and cross busy roads.

I've used the path from Glasgow to Balloch a few times. Much of it, especially in the build up areas is just broken glass and random crap dumped everywhere.

The roads are a far safer option.

There's some cycle lanes that just appear in the gutter, but only run for about 30 metres. What's the fucking point in that?!

There's some cycle lanes that just appear in the gutter, but only run for about 30 metres. What's the fucking point in that?!

I think GCC have a set limit of cycle lanes that they have to build, so they just drop them in haphazard locations around the city and then leave them to rot until they look like the surface of the moon.

Much as I think designated cycle lanes have their place (there is a good one in my area that runs from Balloch to Helensburgh, for example), they can't be regarded as a means of getting cyclists off the main roads. First off, there are all the issues already highlighted, but there is also the simple fact that we are as entitled as anyone else to be out there, and it is the reponsibility of everyone who uses our road network to accept this and adapt their behaviour accordingly.

I was cycling over to Helensburgh on the road earlier this year, and an old buffer driving towards me was gesticulating towards the adjacent cycle path, indicating that I should be using that. Needless to say, I didn't welcome his intervention. If I am averaging around 18mph during a ride, and hitting speeds well in excess of 30mph at points, I don't think it is a good idea for me to be weaving my way past families with their kids on bikes with stabilisers, or old couples walking their mutts etc. That would be more hazardous than me cycling in a perfectly reasonable manner on the road.

Infrastructure is one issue that has to be looked at, but attitudinal change is at least as important. I try my damnest to be a courteous cyclist, and I'm 100% convinced this pays dividends. I try to acknowledge a courtesy - eg: when a van has sat a decent distance behind me until the driver has an opportunity to pass me leaving a safe gap, i'll give a wee thumbs up as they pass - and I've had drivers stick their hazards on or waved an acknowledgement in return. I always adopt an assertive position in the road, but never shoot red lights or take unnecessary risks by weaving in and out of traffic in order to gain a few seconds advantage. You only get folks' backs up when you ride like this, and it isn't worth it, in my experience.