Official P&b Cycling Thread

Not record breaking in any way, but thought I would give a wee summary of my last few days in the saddle.

Wednesday (26th June) -Took the train to Stranraer, arrived just after midday. Visited Stair Park then cycled up to Ayr and a quick visit to Somerset Park. Stayed in a Travelodge. 55.4 miles.

Thursday - Cycled up to Glasgow, visited Ibrox, then headed across the city up to The Excelsior Stadium at Airdrie, then over to Ochilview at Stenhousemuir. Finished the day at the In-laws in Kincardine. 75.8 miles covered. This was by far the wettest day I have been out on a bike. There was a couple of scary moments on the A77 between Ayr and Kilmarnock (I know, I should have taken another route) and the standing water in Glasgow was 'difficult' to say the least.

Friday - Cycled to East End Park at Dunfermline before heading across Fife to Methil and East Fife's New Bayview, then over the Tay Bridge and up to Letham Angus (home) for a nights kip in my own bed. 76 miles. Struggled over the last 25 miles in truth, a nagging pain in the left knee the culprit..

Saturday - Last leg, ( Daughter joined me for this ) Headed out of the Village and over to Gayfield in Arbroath, then northwards to Glebe Park at Brechin and then back toward Forfar's Station Park. Mission complete, I had visited all the 2013/14 Second Division grounds.

My knee was again causing some pain so a gentle cycle back to the Village (for me) ended the adventure. 41.1 miles.

Just for info'-

I used an Orange P7 pro MTB fitted with slick tyres and rack for the panniers. The panniers were fairly laden with some clothes, tools, inner tubes etc.

Even although the kit in the panniers was in bags everything still got soaked. I would 'double bag' everything in future.

Garmin statistics-

Miles covered 248.28

Calories burned 13215

Elevation climed in feet 9421

Cap duly doffed!

I hope you waved at him when you overtook him. C*nt.

He rolled down his window to "have a word". He asked if I was the only one allowed to overtake; I didn't stop, but shouted back that he's free to do so if it's safe.

Another incident this morning made me realise that I'll never fail to be amazed at the number of drivers who think "I didn't see you" is a valid defence for pulling out in front of a cyclist. I don't normally confront people (partly because they might threaten me, but also because I don't want them to feel threatened, regardless of what they've just done), but I saw the woman who did it this morning pull into a car park just up the road from where I turn off. So I went and asked why she didn't give way, only to be met with that response.

I'll admit, though, that me then saying in my smarmiest voice "the word you're now looking for is 'sorry'" probably didn't help change her opinion of cyclists... :ph34r:

Edited by The Master

Probably have their tracker on while in their car!

Yeah! I'm suspicious or jealous of some of the times / distances people set. Some of them must be great cyclists!

I've seen one course in map my ride which is 1 kilometre long- uphill slog for 500m followed by a nice downhill run. I went hard out for it one day- did it in 2 mins 10sec. Looked at the times set and most of them were in the range 2 mins-3mins. One guy though had the top time on the route though of 1mins 30s which is frighteningly quick 27mph average!

got on my bike for the first time in many many many years,cycled up to Asda (which is approx 1.5 km from my house) very shallow slope up to there .........

Needless to say ,being totally unfit and a smoker, I was fucked !!

,but gonna keep it up,come off the fags and get fit enough to cycle to college come september

Done a charity bike run round Arran with a mate at the weekend. Have to admit, I totally underestimated the hills. Cycled 55 miles on the Friday in heavy rain and strong wind, soul destroying stuff. On the way back down the big hill leading into Lochranza it felt like someone was power washing my eyes with hailstones. It was pretty exciting though. Finished the last 22 miles on Saturday which was up/down, up/down all the way. The uphill sections after Kildonan, Whiting Bay and Lamlash were more than made up for by the downhill sections though. This was easily the furthest I have ever cycled but the soakings, wind lashings and pain were all worthwhile as it looks like we have raised between £600-£700 for Yorkhill.

Oh, and we done every single mile in gorilla onesies! (part of the strategy to get people to sponsor us but which will never, ever be repeated :) )

Good luck with Arran cycle. I will be doing this as soon as Im back from injury been looking at it for awhile. The figure of 8 route

That would be a real challenge but something that I fancy working towards. Need to get a better bike before doing any Arran route again though.

That would be a real challenge but something that I fancy working towards. Need to get a better bike before doing any Arran route again though.

Not sure why someone gave this a red dot, so cancelled it out ;)

I've all but chucked the idea of organised sportives now. They are a bit too pricey (some cost as much as a night in a bloody hotel, which would be a better way to spend the dosh after a long bike ride!), and I'm not too keen on being limited by a prescribed route. I'm also struggling to imagine many routes that could top the Skye Mor, so might call it quits at that and create my own from now on. Self-sufficiency is the name of the game, and stopping at cafes for a bun and a coffee beats replenishing energy drinks in a lay-by in any event.

Arran could be an ideal option.

Where will I get a wee bag for my bike that will hold my alun keys, plasters and keys etc.

I don't like the tops with the zips at the back for this stuff. Ta.

Try Aldi or Lidl. They often have cycling stuff including bags that attach to the saddle..

The other possibility is the bigger Asda stores. I bought one there a wee while back..

I bought a bike today - Carrera Kraken. Also had about £200 to spend on accessories, so have mud-guard, lock, helmet, lights and will order clothes online.

Should be getting it later this week, it's currently being built.

Looking forward to getting out there.

Where will I get a wee bag for my bike that will hold my alun keys, plasters and keys etc.

I use this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/mini-wedgie-saddlepack-ec027072?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=mkwid__pcrid_19178765816_kword__match__plid_

Cracking wee pack with water resistant zipper, and wipe-clean surface.

You can't go wrong for 12 quid.

Drooper's biking bargain tip of the day....

If you use a CO2 inflator with threaded catridges, you can pick up 10 for a tenner (usually £2.99 each) by visiting:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CBIR002200&utm_source=deal-hub&utm_medium=email&utm_term=massive-warehouse-clearance-birzmann-10-sub-only&utm_campaign=CSU349

and entering the discount code ZACOO10 at the checkout.

Edited by Drooper

Try Aldi or Lidl. They often have cycling stuff including bags that attach to the saddle..

The other possibility is the bigger Asda stores. I bought one there a wee while back..

Was in Sports Direct in Dundee today and they had a price reduction (as they always do) and there was a tool kit /saddlebag combo deal... Might be worth a look if there's one local..?