Official P&b Cycling Thread

So 5 months in to my newbie cycling and definitely feeling the benefit, particularly with the semi decent weather. Averaging about 3 rides a week, roughly 20-30 miles each. Now feeling the urge to supplement my hybrid with a road bike, which is kinda natural I guess :).

After yesterday my legs are still knackered today. More of the bike change i noticed a kink in my chain and that one of the side of the links had come away so it was hanging on with one part. Phonned shop moaned and groaned about it as its only about 6 months old. So now booked in to get looked at and see if i can get it fixed for free

It's been cracking cycling weather these past two days, but my legs have been killing me after a trip to Barcelona and PortAventura last week.

I'm blaming Ryanair's (lack of) leg room <_<

Edited by The Master

I'm always interested in your opinions, UtN. What's special about this bike?

Thanks for the compliment !!

I just think you get a helluva lot for your money and its all decent kit that's on it as standard.

I have to admit I'm also a wee bit biased, as I bought one a few years ago and it was this bike that got me into more serious cycling.

I've still got it and love going out on it as an alternative to my road bike

Last minute decision this morning to cycle to work. First time this year and used the road bike. Just over 9.6 miles and it took approx' 42 minutes. 660 calories aff the belly apparently..?

Forgot to put a belt in my kit bag so there's a big risk of the breeks falling down today. :lol:

I've taken friday off work so i can get out on the bike, Going to give Glasgow East End to Largs.

Didn't make it to Largs unfortunately, only got to Greenock, i had no idea how many hills you had to go up just to get to Greenock. it was fun going down them though.

Specialized Crosstrail

Brilliant hybrid bike

Go for highest spec you can get for your £500

I got this exact bike today at the Bike Co-Operative beside the Links. The guys there were very helpful and knowledgeable.

Going to take it out for a wee test run tomorrow.

Depends on budget but Decathlon's Triban 3 seems to be a good deal...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Cheers for that.

Anyone got any opinions. I was taking the only route I know and looking at boardmans but I'm really not sure what I'm doing.

This is what I have my sights set on at the moment, 2 guys who are part of the local cycle club have recommended this bike to me and I'm struggling to find any really bad reviews on google:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=992097&categoryId=165710&langId=-1

Edited by Dindeleux

• 2 weeks later...

Bump!!

I bought a Boardman and I'm really impressed. Been out almost every day since I got it and I'm finding longer journeys are very easy.

Going out for my longest ride ever tomorrow - Kilmarnock to Kilbirnie via Kilwinning and back to Kilmarnock via Stewarton.

I was out on saturday for a decent old pedal but had a bit of a casual tshirt on, woke up on Sunday with so much pain in my lower back I thought I had done some serious damage, it was sharp and really focussed along the lower back. Looked in the mirror and there was an angry red stripe about 2 inches thick of nasty sunburn from where the tshirt had been riding up my back all day. :P

Jumped on the road bike and cycled to work this morning. Bit of hassle with the chain deciding to come off at an awkward wee climb (as they do :P ), but all in all a lovely morning for a trip on the bike. I haven't studied the garmin stats yet, but roughly 9.5 miles in 41 minutes including the chain mishap.

BTW, That oil seed rape is stinkin' stuff.. <_<