Official P&b Cycling Thread

The Schwalbe Ultremos came with my bike too. As I say, the RRP is around £35 a pop. Since then, I've had another set of Ultremos that had to be binned even sooner. They are great tyres on the road, but the durability was abysmal on the two sets i had. I've since had Michelin Pro Race3s (£25 each). Again, great tyres, but two shredded within as many weeks. They were not abused and I was careful with pressures.

At that point, I decided that I'd opt for cheaper tyres and treat them as disposable. Cue a set of Schwalbe Luganos that I picked up for a tenner each. 300 miles or so later, and they haven't missed a beat. Unlless you intend racing, I'm not sure that spunking away daft money on tyres is really worth it, TBH.

ETA: on a related matter, CycleSurgery are doing a good deal on Specialized inner tubes. 3 for a tenner, including long valve tubes that cost £5.99 each. Free postage. I've used a lot of Specialized tubes (see above dry.gif ), and would recommend them.

Foot of the page

It looks like i have been lucky with my tyres in the past,as you appear to have had a lot of problems with yours,I will just get a moderately priced new tyre as it appears it is just your luck with durability,thanks for the tip on tubes,i need them.

My bike also came with Ultremos. Very fast running tyres (rolling resistance). I got 1000 miles from them before I found a couple of big gouges out of the rear one. The front one is still ok so I've kept a hold of it in reserve.

I replaced them with Conti Gatorskins. Great tyres, hard wearing and good puncture resistance. The noticable difference in speed is negligible really.

My "winter commute" bike has Specialized Armadillo tyres. Great as well. So far, I can report no punctures with the Armadillos or the Gatorskins in 2500 miles. Had quite a few with the Ultremos though.

Edited by mcjimbob_dfc

Thankfully no punctures, but the ride in to work this morning seemed considerably harder for some reason...?

Old age disnae come easy....:(

BTW, I'm using Schwalbe Blizzard Sport tyres. Was a bit wary of them in the wet initially, but now I'm much more confident with them. No complaints and reasonably priced.. ;)

I'm probably out of Pedal for Scotland. Out on the bike towards the end of the ride could smell a kind of burning which was the wheel rubbing on the brake pad. When got back home the rear wheel was badly out of round and wobbling about. Must have taken a whack on one of the many potholes round here as it was fine when I left.

Have tried to fix it tightening the spokes with little success, but I haven't had much time to do it. I'll have another go but if I don't I doubt I'll get anyone to fix it on Saturday.

I'm probably out of Pedal for Scotland. Out on the bike towards the end of the ride could smell a kind of burning which was the wheel rubbing on the brake pad. When got back home the rear wheel was badly out of round and wobbling about. Must have taken a whack on one of the many potholes round here as it was fine when I left.

Have tried to fix it tightening the spokes with little success, but I haven't had much time to do it. I'll have another go but if I don't I doubt I'll get anyone to fix it on Saturday.

That would be a real shame.

Why not call your local bike shop (assuming you live around Paisley - possibly Dooleys?) and ask them if someone could have a quick look, if only to diagnose the problem.

I took my late father-in-law's Flying Scot in for a last minute check over at Magic Cycles in Bowling before the Glasgow 100 last year, having called about half an hour earlier. The guy put the bike on a workstand and thoroughly checked it over (brakes, gears, wheels etc.). Astonishingly, he charged me £2, though I gave him a tenner and picked up a couple of energy gels.

I'd be surprised if your LBS didn't have time to give your bike a quick check and fettle - not least if they knew you were signed up for a ride on Sunday.

I've also dropped in on shops when I've had a mechanical mid-ride, and they've been more than helpful.

Edited by Drooper

It looks like i have been lucky with my tyres in the past,as you appear to have had a lot of problems with yours,I will just get a moderately priced new tyre as it appears it is just your luck with durability,thanks for the tip on tubes,i need them.

Aye, it is just your luck sometimes.

My bike also came with Ultremos. Very fast running tyres (rolling resistance). I got 1000 miles from them before I found a couple of big gouges out of the rear one. The front one is still ok so I've kept a hold of it in reserve.

I replaced them with Conti Gatorskins. Great tyres, hard wearing and good puncture resistance. The noticable difference in speed is negligible really.

My "winter commute" bike has Specialized Armadillo tyres. Great as well. So far, I can report no punctures with the Armadillos or the Gatorskins in 2500 miles. Had quite a few with the Ultremos though.

I've got Gatorskins on a spare set of wheels. I've had one puncture running them (a glass shard that would have penetrated any tyre, TBH), and, as you say, they are pretty bombproof. You're spot on with the rolling resistance issue. While you can notice the difference, it isn't really an issue unless you're a hard-core serious cyclist who frets over such things.

That would be a real shame.

Why not call your local bike shop (assuming you live around Paisley - possibly Dooleys?) and ask them if someone could have a quick look, if only to diagnose the problem.

I took my late father-in-law's Flying Scot in for a last minute check over at Magic Cycles in Bowling before the Glasgow 100 last year, having called about half an hour earlier. The guy put the bike on a workstand and thoroughly checked it over (brakes, gears, wheels etc.). Astonishingly, he charged me £2, though I gave him a tenner and picked up a couple of energy gels.

I'd be surprised if your LBS didn't have time to give your bike a quick check and fettle - not least if they knew you were signed up for a ride on Sunday.

I've also dropped in on shops when I've had a mechanical mid-ride, and they've been more than helpful.

Agree with this.

Obviously can't speak for cycle shops out your way, but Spokes in Dundee fixed my wheel at very short notice a few weeks back before we set off on our charity ride. His book was full but managed to squeeze it in before closing time which was perfect.

Yeah hopefully I'll find somewhere that can do it short notice. Ideally I'd have given them the bike when it happened, but with work I can't manage to get it to a shop until Saturday.

I'm hoping it is a quick fix!

Give them a bell today, and that lets them know you'll be in tomorrow.

Best of luck with it.

Took a punt on the free safety check at Decthlon on Friday night and the guy confirmed it was likely a pothole and fixed my wheel for free, even put a new tube in.

Finished pedal for Scotland about 90mins ago. Cycled in from Paisley and when I saw the queue to start it was unbelievable. Really slow going so ditched it and joined the back of a group on Saltmarket. Not exactly best thing to do but loads were doing it. Need to get the start sorted for next year.

ll in all a decent ride. Slower than last year but stopped at Linlithgow that takes time. Bad accident in Easterhouse which I had to walk past and up that hill.

Took a punt on the free safety check at Decthlon on Friday night and the guy confirmed it was likely a pothole and fixed my wheel for free, even put a new tube in.

Finished pedal for Scotland about 90mins ago. Cycled in from Paisley and when I saw the queue to start it was unbelievable. Really slow going so ditched it and joined the back of a group on Saltmarket. Not exactly best thing to do but loads were doing it. Need to get the start sorted for next year.

ll in all a decent ride. Slower than last year but stopped at Linlithgow that takes time. Bad accident in Easterhouse which I had to walk past and up that hill.

Good to hear that the bike got sorted and you were able to take part. That was pretty decent of the shop to repair and replace parts for free.

The scale of PFS is one of the things that puts me off. I scunnered myself with the Glasgow half marathons for the very same reason. I reckon there's a point at which the amount of people taking part starts to detract from the enjoyment. There is a good buzz at big events, but if it is a bit chaotic it can become frustrating.

I was slower too by about 15 minutes, but I seem to remember we had the wind at our backs last year - today was perfect weather. Never saw the Easterhouse accident, but I did see the aftermath of a collision between two cyclists on the High St, 2 minutes after the start. Never seen a carbon bike snapped like that and the owner wasn't too chuffed.

I was slower too by about 15 minutes, but I seem to remember we had the wind at our backs last year - today was perfect weather. Never saw the Easterhouse accident, but I did see the aftermath of a collision between two cyclists on the High St, 2 minutes after the start. Never seen a carbon bike snapped like that and the owner wasn't too chuffed.

Ouch! :o

Well done on completing the ride.

My first PFS and thoroughly enjoyed it. Long queue to get started - I arrived at about 7.40 and didn't get away until 8.35. It did occur to me: why not just start on High Street, but that would be agin the spirit of the thing. I thought the organisation and marshalling was probably as good as it could be. Would the events detractors seek to cap the entry?