Official P&b Cycling Thread

Went out tonight with my mate who was supposed to be taking us an 18 mile cycle from Airdrie to Slamannan, then to Caldercruix and back home. He ended up taking a wrong turn and we ended heading Falkirk way, though Westfield before ending up on the B803 to Bathgate.

From there to Airdrie was utterly horrendous as we were battered by a headwind that full time, meaning any time we were going down hill we weren't gaining any momentum and if we stopped pedalling for a few seconds we would be at a standstill.

The full route was around 36 miles and we did it in 3 hours 10 minutes, if it wasn't for the headwind that we were battling against we would have probably clocked up a much better time.

Went out tonight with my mate who was supposed to be taking us an 18 mile cycle from Airdrie to Slamannan, then to Caldercruix and back home. He ended up taking a wrong turn and we ended heading Falkirk way, though Westfield before ending up on the B803 to Bathgate.

From there to Airdrie was utterly horrendous as we were battered by a headwind that full time, meaning any time we were going down hill we weren't gaining any momentum and if we stopped pedalling for a few seconds we would be at a standstill.

The full route was around 36 miles and we did it in 3 hours 10 minutes, if it wasn't for the headwind that we were battling against we would have probably clocked up a much better time.

It's always windy up there,however, I was also our last night and wind was much stronger that I anticipated.

It's all character building stuff ! ;)

Aye, it was pretty blowy on my commute this morning, and it fair saps your energy.

The other issue is sudden cross-winds encountered when you are passing gaps between buildings. Quite disconcerting at times.

Managed 3/5 days commuting on the bike this week. Next week is looking promising as well - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650752

September can't come round soon enough - that's when the next run of my employer's Cycle to Work scheme starts and I'm itching for a new bike. I've worked out I could probably stretch to giving myself £700 to play with.

What do people think of this - http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=46450

Nice, but September is when the shops usually start discounting stock ready for next year's models so watch out for some bargains. I got my Tricross last year for £550 instead of £750.

That's handy to know as I'm looking to upgrade and September-ish should be about the perfect time, money wise.

Been looking at 2nd hand bikes over the last week or so in case there's any bargains to be had. Anyone ever owned a 'Felt' (brand) bike? I've never heard of the make before but saw one on eBay that fits just about every aspect of what I'm looking for. Would be good to hear some feedback from any owners though.

Off to The Lake District for a few days.Managed to persuade the missus that we take our hybrids, just to go a nice wee easy diddle along some cycle path.

Little does she know I've got some fucking mental routes planned !!!hahah

Last time I suggest that......................Enough said !!

That's handy to know as I'm looking to upgrade and September-ish should be about the perfect time, money wise.

Been looking at 2nd hand bikes over the last week or so in case there's any bargains to be had. Anyone ever owned a 'Felt' (brand) bike? I've never heard of the make before but saw one on eBay that fits just about every aspect of what I'm looking for. Would be good to hear some feedback from any owners though.

I'd considered buying a Felt before I opted for my current bike. They produce bikes for the pros, so it won't be rubbish, I wouldn't have thought. I'm pretty sure that even their lower bikes are highly regarded.

Do tell UtN :)

Glorious day for it. Went out intending a wee 15-20 miles but got sidetracked and ended up doing 30 miles +. Found a great cycle track along a disused railway line going from Alloa to Dunfermline. Smooth tarmac, easy gradients - if the Pars ever manage to make it into the same division as us again, I might cycle to the away games on this route.

Got one puncture and discovered a new bit of essential kit - insect repellent. I damn near thought I was dying as they tried to eat me alive. After 5 minutes I began to hope they'd hurry up and succeed!

Good wee spin but I was blowing out my arse and my legs had gone by the end. Seriously unfit :(

Going to Forres on the bike from Inverness tonight for the Caley Thistle game, always good to mix bike/ football/ beer (in any order you like) BTW, anybody tape the TDF stage on sunday? See if you can spot the guy baring his arse at the peleton in the village with 7.2k's to go. Classic.

went for what was meant to be a gentle spin with a few mates last night,but it turned into a 43 miler in the heat,averaging 19.3 mph.!!

On another note,if anyone out there is looking for a phenominal deal, I have a mate who bought a Specialized Roubix Elite bike last Christmas.

He bought it in Dales sale, reduced from £2000 to £1400.

Hes done less than 500 miles on it and is selling it for £800.

56 full carbon frame,full 105 group set

If interested PM me and I'll give you his details..He lives in Larbert

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I'd considered buying a Felt before I opted for my current bike. They produce bikes for the pros, so it won't be rubbish, I wouldn't have thought. I'm pretty sure that even their lower bikes are highly regarded.

Bought the 'Felt' tonight. Only had a wee run on it so far to bring it home but feels really good. Think I got a genuine bargain :)