Official P&b Cycling Thread

Just the ordinary route. It's still going to be the furthest I've cycled in a oner so far though.

Hi, Your Excellency. I've received my pack today with a starting time so I think I must have chosen some time ago and then forgot - ageing, you see. Weather permitting - and a colleague has done the last 6 and says it's never been bad - you'll thoroughly enjoy it. Breaks every 10 miles if you wish to take them, with loads of great grub and a superb social atmosphere for the non-TdF cyclists.

Got my Pedal For Scotland number through in the post this morning.

Mine arrived yesterday as well.

This'll be my third PFS (Challenge ride) and although my opinion will undoubtedly change while I'm doing it, I'm thinking of aiming for the Sportive next year. People know how much I'm into cycling so I almost feel embarrassed sending round my Justgiving page for "only" 47 miles.

For those who have done the Sportive, do you really need a road bike? It strikes me as the sort of distance where a hybrid would start to feel like a burden once you pass half way.

Doing the Coast 2 Coast in October (Whitehaven to Whitley Bay) with some work buddies and was wondering if any of you had completed it?

The three people I'm doing the ride with all have mountain bikes whilst being a roadie myself, I don't have a mountain bike but I do have a hybrid I am pimping up for the ride. But I'm not sure the wheels will be man enough for the route. I'm not that keen on buying new wheels for the thing as I'd rather upgrade my road bike wheels instead. But the Hybrids wheels are a bog standard wheelset that came with the bike 700x32 (Felt branded wheel - same as the bike).

I know most of the route is on the roads/tracks which is fine but my understanding small sections of it are off road and rough. The advice online is Cyclocross bikes should be fine and the hybrid has cyclocross tyres I've put on, but I am worried about the actual wheels failing.

As an aside, I've noticed reading back through this thread about the Strava P&B club, is it open to anyone?

Doing the Coast 2 Coast in October (Whitehaven to Whitley Bay) with some work buddies and was wondering if any of you had completed it?

The three people I'm doing the ride with all have mountain bikes whilst being a roadie myself, I don't have a mountain bike but I do have a hybrid I am pimping up for the ride. But I'm not sure the wheels will be man enough for the route. I'm not that keen on buying new wheels for the thing as I'd rather upgrade my road bike wheels instead. But the Hybrids wheels are a bog standard wheelset that came with the bike 700x32 (Felt branded wheel - same as the bike).

I know most of the route is on the roads/tracks which is fine but my understanding small sections of it are off road and rough. The advice online is Cyclocross bikes should be fine and the hybrid has cyclocross tyres I've put on, but I am worried about the actual wheels failing.

As an aside, I've noticed reading back through this thread about the Strava P&B club, is it open to anyone?

Strava club is open to anyone http://www.strava.com/clubs/team-pie-and-bovril

Have loved lurking on this thread even if some of the technical stuff goes straight over my head.

Anyway, have finally bought my first half decent bike. :)

Planning to do the 4m commute to work every day on it and also build up to some long rides. My parents stay 10m outside Aberdeen, so there and back will be a good start. i'm quite fit anyway so hopefully I won't struggle too much, although no doubt I'll be using muscles I didn't know I had!

I was quite wary of the guy in the shop selling me a load of shite I didn't need, so didn't get much to accompany the bike. Is there anything that is considered 'essential' apart from a good set of lights and a solid lock?

Mine arrived yesterday as well.This'll be my third PFS (Challenge ride) and although my opinion will undoubtedly change while I'm doing it, I'm thinking of aiming for the Sportive next year. People know how much I'm into cycling so I almost feel embarrassed sending round my Justgiving page for "only" 47 miles.For those who have done the Sportive, do you really need a road bike? It strikes me as the sort of distance where a hybrid would start to feel like a burden once you pass half way.

Last time I did it there were a few folk on hybrids so it can be done. They got dropped on the descents though!

Have loved lurking on this thread even if some of the technical stuff goes straight over my head.

Anyway, have finally bought my first half decent bike. :)

Planning to do the 4m commute to work every day on it and also build up to some long rides. My parents stay 10m outside Aberdeen, so there and back will be a good start. i'm quite fit anyway so hopefully I won't struggle too much, although no doubt I'll be using muscles I didn't know I had!

I was quite wary of the guy in the shop selling me a load of shite I didn't need, so didn't get much to accompany the bike. Is there anything that is considered 'essential' apart from a good set of lights and a solid lock?

I would say spare tube, tyre levers and mini pump and know how to use them. Punctures are a matter of when, not if. They always happen on the way to work as well...

I forgot about the Renfrewshire 100. Was wanting to do the 100K one this year!

Don't know whether to bother with PFS. Know a few people doing the sportive, but doubt I can be bothered with the early start or the mass ride this year. Will wait and see.

It was ok apart from the wind they actually cancelled the 100 mile attempt this year due to the wind. And i think there was only about 160 that did do it. This was numbers from a marshall on a bike so no idea how accurate that is.

The PFS working out £56 to do the 100 mile and then get the bus home. Think i've spent far too much on sportives this year think i'll take a year or so out and just register with a cycle club and go out with them sampling different routes

It was ok apart from the wind they actually cancelled the 100 mile attempt this year due to the wind. And i think there was only about 160 that did do it. This was numbers from a marshall on a bike so no idea how accurate that is.

The PFS working out £56 to do the 100 mile and then get the bus home. Think i've spent far too much on sportives this year think i'll take a year or so out and just register with a cycle club and go out with them sampling different routes

That's your best bet, a Saturday/Sunday ride with mates is usually great. Even though I get left behind. :(

After seeing an article on the BBC about road death stats I was curious about whether or not all collision stats are collated somewhere.

Lo and behold, they are - http://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search

Turns out I'm part of the stats after being knocked off in 2012. Look for Robertson Street, Dundee - I'm the one on 5/4/2012. I was able to download the report with the free credit they give you for registering but it doesn't say much; just the vehicles involved.

But I least now know the statement I gave wasn't dumped in the round filing cabinet.

Edited by The Master

Got my bike fixed today, went out and snapped a chain, fixed it, it snapped again so I went to the shop to get a replacedment, turns out the teeth on my cog thing at the back were bent and snapping my chain.

Sorted now and done a wee 11 or so miles all in today. Wee bit saddle sore after so long out.

I'm also registered for the PFS - should be a good fun wee day out.

Havent yet managed anything of significant length but planning a day out in the borders next weekend.

Need to stretch the legs a wee bit. Havent been out in a while.

Got my bike fixed today, went out and snapped a chain, fixed it, it snapped again so I went to the shop to get a replacedment, turns out the teeth on my cog thing at the back were bent and snapping my chain.

Sorted now and done a wee 11 or so miles all in today. Wee bit saddle sore after so long out.

Hope the bike shop never charged you for your second chain, as they should have noticed this