Official P&b Cycling Thread

Did you manage to get this fixed?

I had a look but there didn't appear to be a thing for turning as detailed on your picture and I didn't want to start messing with it in case I made it worse. I'll see if I can post a picture of the mechanism later.

I've to stick to cycling and spin classes instead of jogging.

Physio has told me I've a tilted kneecap which is causing the pain whilst running and I also have very tight IT bands.

Quad and glutes exercises and to stick to non impact stuff.

Chuffed I can still bike it! :)

I had a look but there didn't appear to be a thing for turning as detailed on your picture and I didn't want to start messing with it in case I made it worse. I'll see if I can post a picture of the mechanism later.

You might have a barrel-adjuster on the actual cable - close to the headtube?

I've to stick to cycling and spin classes instead of jogging.

Physio has told me I've a tilted kneecap which is causing the pain whilst running and I also have very tight IT bands.

Quad and glutes exercises and to stick to non impact stuff.

Chuffed I can still bike it! :)

I've got a similar issue with my right knee-cap. Cycling doesn't cause any issue with it at all. In fact, the best thing to do is to strengthen the thigh and other muscles around the knee, and cycling is ideal for this.

Have you tried Dooleys on Moss St?

I tend to use Evans as that's where i have got my bikes from cant complain about the service but as Drooper posted about dooleys i may try there next as the took my bike after my crash and checked it over for free

Haven't tried Dooleys but sounds a good shout, can cycle and get the bus back.

Jumped on the road bike this morning, did a loop from the village which took in Forfar, Kirrie, Glamis, Inverarity and finally back to Broon HQ....!

Just under 32 miles, but in truth it was really hard going with the headwind for long spells...........

Coffee and scone in Kirrie hit the spot, I stupidly thought I would freewheel back after slogging it up there.............:P

I've cycled faster and further....(just.....;)..).... however today drained the life oot o me..!

Anyway............Are we up for another P&B outing?

I'm in.......... if you'll have me......?

You might have a barrel-adjuster on the actual cable - close to the headtube?

gf_cronus_barrel_adjusters_600.jpg

As mentioned by Drooper......!

If the bike has flat bars the adjuster is often at the shifter.....If the pic works, it's on the extreme right.....

shimano-slx-m660-gear-shifters.jpg

Jumped on the road bike this morning, did a loop from the village which took in Forfar, Kirrie, Glamis, Inverarity and finally back to Broon HQ....!

Just under 32 miles, but in truth it was really hard going with the headwind for long spells...........

Coffee and scone in Kirrie hit the spot, I stupidly thought I would freewheel back after slogging it up there.............:P

I've cycled faster and further....(just.....;)..).... however today drained the life oot o me..!

Anyway............Are we up for another P&B outing?

I'm in.......... if you'll have me......?

I'm definitely up for another Team P&B ride. Some time in mid-June possibly?

How's it going.

Been looking to buy a bike for a while now and I'm a bit stuck as to what to go for. I'm a bit confused as to what kind of bike would suit my needs best - I keep hearing about road bikes, hybrids and mountain bikes but everyone seems to have different opinions as to what's best.

I'd be cycling for maybe 5 - 10 miles once or twice a week, bit of road cycling, bit of cycle paths. I don't anticipate going off road too often but can't rule it out as I have a few places nearby which are pretty good for getting on the dirt. I'd also be looking to get my fiance a bike, although she wouldn't be using it as often as me and wouldn't be going off road at all.

Just wondering what you guys think would suit me and how much you would spend on a bike in that case? Cheers!

How's it going.

Been looking to buy a bike for a while now and I'm a bit stuck as to what to go for. I'm a bit confused as to what kind of bike would suit my needs best - I keep hearing about road bikes, hybrids and mountain bikes but everyone seems to have different opinions as to what's best.

I'd be cycling for maybe 5 - 10 miles once or twice a week, bit of road cycling, bit of cycle paths. I don't anticipate going off road too often but can't rule it out as I have a few places nearby which are pretty good for getting on the dirt. I'd also be looking to get my fiance a bike, although she wouldn't be using it as often as me and wouldn't be going off road at all.

Just wondering what you guys think would suit me and how much you would spend on a bike in that case? Cheers!

Hybrid sounds like your best bet.

Relatively lightweight with no unnecessary suspension that only weighs the bike down and requires maintenance.

Ridgeback make very well specced and good value hybrids (you can pick up something decent from around £250), though most brands produce them.

It makes sense to get a bike that has mounts for mudguards, and possibly a pannier rack.

If you're new to cycling, one of the most important things to consider is getting the correct frame size. For this reason, you'd be well advised to visit a coupleo f bike shops and take some advice from the folks who work there. Have a sit on a few bikes and get a feel for them. You can always swap/upgrade saddle and tyres etc., but if your frame isn't the right size for you, you're buggered.

Steer clear of shops selling BSOs (bike shaped objects) such as Sports Direct. These bikes are generally shit, and weigh as much as a small country.

If you see something you fancy, tell us about it and we'll no doubt regale you with ill-infomed views on whether its any use :P

Hybrid sounds like your best bet.

Relatively lightweight with no unnecessary suspension that only weighs the bike down and requires maintenance.

Ridgeback make very well specced and good value hybrids (you can pick up something decent from around £250), though most brands produce them.

It makes sense to get a bike that has mounts for mudguards, and possibly a pannier rack.

If you're new to cycling, one of the most important things to consider is getting the correct frame size. For this reason, you'd be well advised to visit a coupleo f bike shops and take some advice from the folks who work there. Have a sit on a few bikes and get a feel for them. You can always swap/upgrade saddle and tyres etc., but if your frame isn't the right size for you, you're buggered.

Steer clear of shops selling BSOs (bike shaped objects) such as Sports Direct. These bikes are generally shit, and weigh as much as a small country.

If you see something you fancy, tell us about it and we'll no doubt regale you with ill-infomed views on whether its any use :P

Thanks for that. I have a couple of bike shops nearby so will take a look when I have time and see what you guys think. It's jst a pity I can't cycle to work.

Monkeyblair, where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?!?!

:lol:

Very funny!!

I have fallen by the wayside recently, bike is rusting in the garage out of sheer laziness I'm afraid (and also the golf season getting in the way!!)

Will need to get back into it though, have registered for the PFS 100 miler and will do it.

My boss cycled into a broken down 7.5t lorry 2 weeks ago at full pelt. Totally his own fault as he admits, head down watching out for potholes. Two broken hands, broken ribs, torn calf muscle and other bits of carnage! Had it not been a curtain sider he reckons he would be potted hough by now. Bike fucked, luckily it wasn't his new one he had bought a couple of months ago.

Kind of puts you off a wee bit.

Lots of possibilities TBH......

Are you using clipped in pedals?

Are the pedals 'free' to rotate... not many are..! Even new some are shockingly rough..

If clipped in, are the shoes squeaking..? My shoes sometimes squeak, then they don't...?

Even if not clipped in, do the pedals turn freely, and feel smooth.....?

The Bottom Bracket needs to turn free (like the pedals)... You need to disconnect the chain and turn the crank and feel for 'roughness' and, if you can, try to see if there is any movement.... Any movement (wear) means it needs attention, probably from a LBS...?

Squeaks at the wheels should be easy to find...... Lift the wheels off the ground and spin, they should spin freely and not feel rough. Make sure no brakes are rubbing...!

Best of luck with your diagnosis.............;)

ETA

The freewheel is possibly gummed up which could be the reason for the 'slipping'..?

Does the rear wheel make a good clicking noise when you spin it backwards..?

If not, it may need attention, probably a LBS job though....?

I put my bike in for a service and it needed a new chain and rear gear cog.

Dunno about the squeaking though as it was dry when I brought it home and Ive f**ked my back in the garden today so cant take it out.

Anyway, the slipping of the pedal/chain has now completely stopped. Originally it was only the chain that was replaced, which made the slipping worse (due to new chain on worn cog.)

With both replaced its perfect. Which is comforting considering Im planning on doing the West Highland way on my bike over the summer.

My boss cycled into a broken down 7.5t lorry 2 weeks ago at full pelt. Totally his own fault as he admits, head down watching out for potholes. Two broken hands, broken ribs, torn calf muscle and other bits of carnage! Had it not been a curtain sider he reckons he would be potted hough by now. Bike fucked, luckily it wasn't his new one he had bought a couple of months ago.

I can't get this image out my head of him hitting the side then flying through the curtain in true Loony Toons style :ph34r: