Golfers Thread

Gaz

With it being the same set up hopefully they can feature prominently again. I remember Syme doing well in the two back to back Celtic Manor tournaments last season. 
He should have won one of them tbh, had a disastrous finish including topping one into the water on 18.

One of the most frustrating things in golf for me, is where you are hitting a blind shot and hit it perfectly, then when you get round to it the ball is nowhere to be seen. Happened to me twice yesterday, one of them I was very close to heads gone as I’m positive someone must have picked it up. Played a perfectly shaped shot round a dogleg, bang in the middle of the (very wide) fairway, then when I go round it’s just gone.

Matt Jones about to wrap up a win in the Honda Classic. He has a 5 shot lead going up the last. He started the day on -10, and is playing with JB Holmes who was -7. They are now 14 shots apart with Jones -2 for the day and Holmes +9.

He should have won one of them tbh, had a disastrous finish including topping one into the water on 18.

Syme didn’t finish well that day but he was already out of contention to win before the 18th. He drew an absolutely shocker of a lie on 18 and worried by controversy on social media around a player on the LPGA improving their lie that weekend was concerned about even grounding the club and dumped it in the water. Still did enough to make the US Open based on that few weeks of good form. He’s a cracking player who I think can really come through in the next period. Good luck to him.

Syme didn’t finish well that day but he was already out of contention to win before the 18th. He drew an absolutely shocker of a lie on 18 and worried by controversy on social media around a player on the LPGA improving their lie that weekend was concerned about even grounding the club and dumped it in the water. Still did enough to make the US Open based on that few weeks of good form. He’s a cracking player who I think can really come through in the next period. Good luck to him.
He had the 54 hole lead by one shot and lost by 3. I'm 99% sure that a birdie on the last would have got him in a playoff, but he missed the fairway off the tee then compounded that by putting his second in the rough too, leading to duffing his third into the water. He shot level par while everyone around him was -4 and -5, it was a huge opportunity missed.

When they played the back to back tourneys at Celtic Manor last year the course set up was tougher for the second one with scoring nowhere near as low, will be interesting to see if they do the same in Kenya this week. For comparison 68 players were under par for the Celtic Classic with a winning score of -18, but the Welsh Open only had 21 players under par with -8 winning.

59 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

He had the 54 hole lead by one shot and lost by 3. I'm 99% sure that a birdie on the last would have got him in a playoff, but he missed the fairway off the tee then compounded that by putting his second in the rough too, leading to duffing his third into the water. He shot level par while everyone around him was -4 and -5, it was a huge opportunity missed.

When they played the back to back tourneys at Celtic Manor last year the course set up was tougher for the second one with scoring nowhere near as low, will be interesting to see if they do the same in Kenya this week. For comparison 68 players were under par for the Celtic Classic with a winning score of -18, but the Welsh Open only had 21 players under par with -8 winning.

He had chances to win both the events at Celtic Manor. In the Wales Open where he took 7 at the last he lost by 5 shots. He shot 4 over that day. A birdie wouldn't have got him in a play off.

Wales Open

It was the previous week where he shot 63 on the Saturday to lead the Celtic Classic but shot level par in round 4 to miss out by two shots, the winner shooting 4 under.

Celtic Classic

Both events were chances missed in all honesty. 

Hope he does well this week again. Played well yesterday. He's got a good all round game. Be good to see him win one soon.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

He had chances to win both the events at Celtic Manor. In the Wales Open where he took 7 at the last he lost by 5 shots. He shot 4 over that day. A birdie wouldn't have got him in a play off.
Wales Open
It was the previous week where he shot 63 on the Saturday to lead the Celtic Classic but shot level par in round 4 to miss out by two shots, the winner shooting 4 under.
Celtic Classic
  Both events were chances missed in all honesty. 
Hope he does well this week again. Played well yesterday. He's got a good all round game. Be good to see him win one soon.
Good to see him and Syme doing well, they've both started the year well. Hill is currently projected 21st on the Race to Dubai.

At least we might see more of this week now that the cameras have got there.

Reminder that the WGC Matchplay starts on Wednesday, Robert MacIntyre has been drawn in Group 1 with Dustin Johnson, Adam Long and Kevin Na.

Group 8 is a cracker with Hatton, Westwood, Garcia and Wallace in an all European affair.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Reminder that the WGC Matchplay starts on Wednesday, Robert MacIntyre has been drawn in Group 1 with Dustin Johnson, Adam Long and Kevin Na.

Group 8 is a cracker with Hatton, Westwood, Garcia and Wallace in an all European affair.

I don't know much about Long but Johnson has been a bit off the boil recently so maybe MacIntyre can spring a surprise or two. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

McIlroy apparently making his partnership with coach Pete Cowen official after working with him a couple of times. He certainly has to try something different as what he is doing just now isn't working.

Dropping his pursuit of being Bryson mark 2 would be a good start.

The second Kenyan tournament started today for some reason. Maybe they wanted to crack on while they actually have TV footage. 
Syme struggling so far at +1 but Liam Johnston is currently leading on the course at - 6.
Sky not on air until 10am rather disappointingly. Johnston ended up -5, 2 behind the current leader. Hill -3 with 1 to play.