Golfers Thread

Gaz

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Tbf, he’s not looked like getting anywhere near the Ryder Cup for a while now.

I feel for him today, one bad swing after playing 3 and a half rounds perfectly and his tournament was over. 

The last few weeks since he went back to his old coach and caddy has been the best he has looked since March/April when he had 3 top 10s.

2 really big weeks coming up with loads of points up for grabs. 

The biggest challenge for MacIntyre will be the mental side of it. Can he put the negativity aside and focus on how well he was swinging it for 90 percent of the week. 

Even after the triple he missed four very makeable putts on 14 -17. If he holes 3 of them he wins, even 2 would've got him into the play off.

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Really wish they would mix up the playoff holes. Watching them play 18 over and over is pretty tedious 

It's all down to crowd management, they don't want a few thousand folk trying to hot foot it across the course.

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The biggest challenge for MacIntyre will be the mental side of it. Can he put the negativity aside and focus on how well he was swinging it for 90 percent of the week. 

Even after the triple he missed four very makeable putts on 14 -17. If he holes 3 of them he wins, even 2 would've got him into the play off.

100% agree.  The triple was a disaster but he was still only 1 behind at that point.  His head was down though and he looked like he'd lost all belief from then on.  He has some work to do on the mental side of the game.

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

100% agree.  The triple was a disaster but he was still only 1 behind at that point.  His head was down though and he looked like he'd lost all belief from then on.  He has some work to do on the mental side of the game.

Definitely. I know it's easier said than done but I hope he looks back on this and realises that if he'd managed to regroup and play the last 5 holes in -1,  he'd have still made the play off. 

Managed a net 75 in the medal today despite a quadruple bogey 8 on the 2nd and a couple of really careless double bogeys on the back 9. Think I'll get another small cut as the 8 will count as a 6 for handicap reasons.

My front 9 was par, quadruple bogey, par, par, par, par, birdie, bogey, par. Crazy stuff.

Then finished with 4 tap in pars after dropping 6 shots in the first 5 holes of the back 9.

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

I think that's a wee bit unfair. He had a shot at birdie right after his triple which wasn't far away and as mentioned had others lip out. When a triple turns up that late in the tournament you end up chasing things a wee bit. He absolutely has work to do on the mental side but his game is trending the right way at the moment. 

52 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think that's a wee bit unfair. He had a shot at birdie right after his triple which wasn't far away and as mentioned had others lip out. When a triple turns up that late in the tournament you end up chasing things a wee bit. He absolutely has work to do on the mental side but his game is trending the right way at the moment. 

Totally agree that he's finding some form after the recent swing changes and I desperately want him to do well in the Scottish and then the Open. Maybe I'm being harsh but he missed three putts inside 8ft after the triple, and (understandably) looked absolutely raging for the rest of the round even though he was still hitting it close and in contention. Maybe he'd have settled down again with a quick birdie but he seemed to lose focus/belief and his driving also got a bit ragged. Possibly he was trying too hard and chasing by then as you say. 

He's said himself he's the most negative guy going, and sometimes I just think he lacks that elite level ability to immediately delete bad holes from the memory when things go wrong. 

It's so hard now to get ranking points in Europe (and keep in with a chance of a PGA tour card if that rule stays in place for the top season finishers) that - stating the obvious - he could really have done with the win. Gutting overall as a par on the disaster hole and he'd most likely have got it, along with loads of momentum and a massive boost to his self-belief. 

Edited by VictorOnopko

I think the putt on 14th was probably pivotal. He hit a good tee shot which seemed to be only a foot short of giving him an eagle putt. If he birdied that hole he'd have been joint leader again and might have managed to reset mentally. 

27 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

How my Scots are in for the Open this year? Feels like it's the most for a good while.

7 as far as I can see.

Ferguson, MacIntyre, Ramsay, Robertson, Stewart, Syme and Warren.

Paul Lawrie is 1 of 6 former Champion Golfers who is exempt but hasn't entered.

https://www.theopen.com/royal-liverpool-151st-open/exemptions

Edited by peasy23