Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

How often would the golfers of P&B buy a new set of clubs? Mine are about 12/13 years old so planning to buy a new set this year.

Also, what are the thoughts on steel vs graphite? Current set are graphite but think I’ll go for steel this time.

Depends on a lot of factors I got a fitted set (Driver, Woods, Irons)  in July 2017 then upgraded my Driver & 3 wood in November 2019 because they weren’t right for me anymore. Got new irons last year because my old irons were game improvement irons and my new ones are more players irons (but not quite blades!). 

I have Graphite for Driver, 3 wood and my 3 iron everything else is steel shafted but if the fitter gave me graphite everything I wouldn’t say no. 

If you’re on a budget I’d recommend GolfClubs4Cash through in Edinburgh, can get some real good gear only a few seasons old and in pretty good nick!  

On 11/03/2021 at 23:33, Mr Kane and the lemon cafe said:

Ben An in my team as well as Finau and Woods.  

I've Ryan Palmer and Sergio though who are going well.   

Watching the golf tonight the players I enjoyed watching best were Steve Stricker.  Chez Reavie and of course Patrick Reid.    Just a masterclass at getting the ball round.  

I met him in the Italian buffet Restaurant in Aviemore a few years back, he was playing at Spey valley in the Challenge tour Scottish Hydro, he came across as a really nice guy and very mannerly so nice to see him doing so well in the game.

I met him in the Italian buffet Restaurant in Aviemore a few years back, he was playing at Spey valley in the Challenge tour Scottish Hydro, he came across as a really nice guy and very mannerly so nice to see him doing so well in the game.
His biggest problem going forward at the moment is that he still has to do his mandatory national service back home in South Korea. He needs to win an Olympic medal to gain an exemption.

Sang-Moon Bae left his stint until he was a similar age and his career has never recovered.

23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

His biggest problem going forward at the moment is that he still has to do his mandatory national service back home in South Korea. He needs to win an Olympic medal to gain an exemption.

Sang-Moon Bae left his stint until he was a similar age and his career has never recovered.

It's 21 months isn't it? Sung-jae Im will have the same problem in years to come. No wonder he plays nearly every week at the moment. Make hay while the sun shines etc etc

It's 21 months isn't it? Sung-jae Im will have the same problem in years to come. No wonder he plays nearly every week at the moment. Make hay while the sun shines etc etc
Yep, something like that. Professional sportsmen and women can apply for an exemption but they are very rarely (if ever) granted. Normally they would have to win an Olympic medal of any colour or gold at the Asian games to be granted an exemption. K. J. Choi did his national service at 21, working nightshift in a guard station leaving him able to practice and play golf during the day.

I don’t really have much against Ewan Murray and he seems a nice enough guy,  but I have to say, I much prefer the coverage when it’s the others in the booth 
You're not alone, I prefer Dougherty and Coltart too. They could have binned everybody else after Coltart managed to fit "wetter than an otter's pocket" into commentary a couple of years ago.

Good day for Victor Perez, when play stopped last night he was facing a 17 footer for par on 16 after a trip to the water. He missed that this morning to be outside the cut, but chipped in from just off the green on 18 for birdie to make it into the weekend.

He's taken full advantage today with a 69 which lifts him to t32nd at the moment. After bogeying 16 yesterday, he chipped in for eagle today.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Good day for Victor Perez, when play stopped last night he was facing a 17 footer for par on 16 after a trip to the water. He missed that this morning to be outside the cut, but chipped in from just off the green on 18 for birdie to make it into the weekend.

He's taken full advantage today with a 69 which lifts him to t32nd at the moment. After bogeying 16 yesterday, he chipped in for eagle today.

Will probably make Ryder Cup squad. Really like him.