Darts...

Sideshow

BBC announce that they are going to show the new PDC tournament "The Champions League of Darts", and cease transmitting the BDO Worlds.

Hopefully the beginning of the end for the BDO. It has some decent players but the game as a whole would be better if the organisations re-merge.

BBC announce that they are going to show the new PDC tournament "The Champions League of Darts", and cease transmitting the BDO Worlds.

Hopefully the beginning of the end for the BDO. It has some decent players but the game as a whole would be better if the organisations re-merge.

The only selling point of the BDO has now gone.

A massive backwards step for the bdo, coupled with the cancelled new event scheduled for the end of the month it has been a bad few weeks.

Could be an exodus of talent next January, the top players won't be happy with the promises being broken and their highlight of the year not being on the bbc. Would imagine eurosport or BT will take it on.

The new pdc event doesn't sound very appealing but Barry Hearn has really put the boot into the Bdo here so he will be happy enough.

Uncle Bazza is a shrewd operator. Heard rumours too of a highlights package of Ally Pally 17 will be on the beeb also. The new tournament sounds w**k but it's much better for the image of darts if the top boys from the PDC are on BBC as opposed to pub players in the BDO combined with interviews next to the mens toilet and fat c***s tanning bottles of bud in the background. Lakeside became like a sketch of not the 9 o'clock news again over the last 5 years. Just woeful in every aspect.

There ain't really much left in the BDO. Washed up old men and never beens. The BBC was the only thing they had left and that's fucked now.

Not before time.

A massive backwards step for the bdo, coupled with the cancelled new event scheduled for the end of the month it has been a bad few weeks.

Could be an exodus of talent next January, the top players won't be happy with the promises being broken and their highlight of the year not being on the bbc. Would imagine eurosport or BT will take it on.

The new pdc event doesn't sound very appealing but Barry Hearn has really put the boot into the Bdo here so he will be happy enough.

It sounds like filler, the sort of event that might be of the same status as the PDC Pro Tour.

Yeah, I mean, the same players as almost every other fuckin tournie, but still, it's darts on tv, for free (technically), so I'll probably watch it if I can.

This event doesn't really matter, it's their foot in the door with the BBC and the BDO out, which is what matters to Hearn.

Edited by Snakebite

I know that they have brought their own demise, but I find it sad(for historical reasons) the downfall of the traditional lakeside event we have all been brought up on.

It's now nothing more than second rate pub player event, with them having the brass neck to still call the cream of the shite world champion.

Hearn now has the two biggest tv companies showing his pdc darts.

Surely won't be long before BT want a piece of the action aswell. Plus itv events he has the market sewn up.

Those who turned down his offer to buyout the bdo a few years ago must be regretting it now with today's announcement.

The trouble is a year end tournament would be just before the Worlds and therefore overshadowed.

Some Lakeside trophy would be good though, maybe even have the winner collecting the old trophy to maintain the history?

Looking at The CL of Darts idea, I see it's in Cardiff. I wonder if this means they'll lose their Premier League night, perhaps for an extra one in Holland or maybe even Germany?

Edited by Bully Oui Villa

The trouble is a year end tournament would be just before the Worlds and therefore overshadowed.

Some Lakeside trophy would be good though, maybe even have the winner collecting the old trophy to maintain the history?

Looking at The CL of Darts idea, I see it's in Cardiff. I wonder if this means they'll lose their Premier League night, perhaps for an extra one in Holland or maybe even Germany?

They are doing extra dates in mainland Europe next year. Additional Holland and Germany will be added. So aye, I'd imagine Cardiff will get the chop as well as another diddy venue like Exeter.

There will also be a classic in the desert in 2017....

Edited by Snakebite

They are doing extra dates in mainland Europe next year. Additional Holland and Germany will be added. So aye, I'd imagine Cardiff will get the chop as well as another diddy venue like Exeter.

There will also be a classic in the desert in 2017....

The Desert Classic was always a bit of an odd tournament. The American's seemed indifferent to the whole thing, the times were weird as all the games were in the morning to suit British TV and the only folk in the crowd were ex-pats. The only reason reason to hold it seeemed to be, "hey look at us BDO , we have this big ass tournament in Las Vegas, what have you got?"

Edit, unless i've read this is going to be in Dubai or something, then it might make a bit more sense to try and expand the game.

Edited by mrpaddyx