Darts...

Sideshow

Are there any good darts players on here?

Also, does anyone have any tips for someone who has been throwing for years, but only started to take it seriously very recently?

I know it's very poor, but my three dart average is around 40 and my doubles are fairly poor.Obviously, without seeing me, there is only so much to say, but what do you think I should practice the most? My doubles, just treble 20/19, all of my singles, work on grouping perhaps? Or even just play lots of 301's 501's etc.?

Remove the blindfold . ;)

Try a few things like;

Round the board in singles / Doubles / Trebles

301 double in double out

501 straight start

A full hour on 60's only

Then if you are practicing with a few mates try some darts games like cricket, killer etc.

Most important thing is to stop when you start becoming bored, or you'll soon think of practice as a chore and you won't benefit from it.

Yep, that's pretty much how I practise when I have the time. Maybe if I focus on that last example a bit more then I'll finally get that elusive 180! :P

Are there any good darts players on here?

Also, does anyone have any tips for someone who has been throwing for years, but only started to take it seriously very recently?

I know it's very poor, but my three dart average is around 40 and my doubles are fairly poor.

Obviously, without seeing me, there is only so much to say, but what do you think I should practice the most? My doubles, just treble 20/19, all of my singles, work on grouping perhaps? Or even just play lots of 301's 501's etc.?

Practice is a personal thing, different methods work for a particular individual. If you want a little insight on some of the more common and effective ways to practice, here's a link to a great little section from John Part, where he gives his own insight, although i'm not convinced Darth Maple is himself a great practicer, it's good all the same.

Well worth a read..Good luck

My link

Edited by Davis Love III

I'm heading up to Glasgow tomorrow, so I'll take a trip into Trader Joes in Glasgow to see what the deal is with a dartboard. If I can't find one there, I'll start going around Glasgow and seeing what they have.

Cracking blog if you ask me. Well worth a read lads. One thing I'll pick up on.

The PDC proposes to buyout the BDO and then input a massive £1 Million into grass route and amatuer darts, sums that the BDO could only imagine, this would undoubdtely help the game, but are PDC chief Barry Hearn's motives all that innocnet?

Is he finally wanting to remove the BDO from the public eye and ensure that the PDC World Championship becomes the undisputed championship in darts?

I reckon his motives are innocent enough. I think he knows that to maintain the future of the PDC, he needs to make sure that the BDO style of system needs to thrive so as enough people can afford to play in big tournaments around the country and then make the big tournaments.

Good point on Martin Adams and Ted Hankey. I reckon Ted Hankey could deal with it now that he's had the worst he's gonna get and Martin Adams would be happy to play ball because Olly Croft is.

Practice is a personal thing, different methods work for a particular individual. If you want a little insight on some of the more common and effective ways to practice, here's a link to a great little section from John Part, where he gives his own insight, although i'm not convinced Darth Maple is himself a great practicer, it's good all the same.

Well worth a read..Good luck

My link

Good link - thanks.

I agree, practice is a personal thing, but I think you need variety and to enjoy it, and I find it helps if you set yourself goals - like scoring 1000 in as few darts as possible, going round the clock in doubles in as few as possible etc. Like golf, where you have to groove a swing and practice your short game and your bunker play etc, there's several skills to practice - high scoring, doubles, cover shots, tee-ing up finishes and match play - e.g. repeat 501s, if that is your game. Any practice will pay dividends, but I guess being good at doubles can win you plenty of games you might otherwise lose.

(I say this as someone who has won one match in 3 years at the Scottish Open...)

I'm heading up to Glasgow tomorrow, so I'll take a trip into Trader Joes in Glasgow to see what the deal is with a dartboard. If I can't find one there, I'll start going around Glasgow and seeing what they have.

My mate plays darts in Traders with his dad and uncle most weekends, so I can confirm the have a board! And apparently its doesn't get too busy over the weekend(for darts anyways) Should be ideal for a Glasgow darts meet-up! (though I do stress this is second hand information)