Darts...

Sideshow

Has to be the World Matchplay for me. Wonderful atmosphere and a simply fantastic venue to have a game of darts in.

you lucky sod i whould love to go to the matchplay any of you going to the legends of the Oche show at the pavilion

you lucky sod i whould love to go to the matchplay any of you going to the legends of the Oche show at the pavilion

Yeah seen it advertised, 24th April, will probably head along.

its actually quite a cheap night out only twelve quid a ticket compared to some of the crazy prices for events these days.

I paid £20 (per ticket) for a night of Premier League Darts at the SECC this April, I'd hardly call that 'crazy'. I know that there'll be overhead costs of drink/merchandise etc, but I'd imagine you'd have similar costs at this event too.

I paid £20 (per ticket) for a night of Premier League Darts at the SECC this April, I'd hardly call that 'crazy'. I know that there'll be overhead costs of drink/merchandise etc, but I'd imagine you'd have similar costs at this event too.

am suprised that was only a score a thought it would have been at least thirty, sounds like yer gettin yer moneys worth

Lets all predict the first round of the Players' Championships at the Circus Tavern. It's on ITV4 from Friday afternoon for anyone not aware.

First Round

Afternoon Session

1.00pm - Vincent van der Voort v Chris Mason

1.35pm - Colin Lloyd v Jamie Caven

2.10pm - Ronnie Baxter v Tony Eccles

2.45pm - Terry Jenkins v Wayne Jones

3.20pm - Mervyn King v Felix McBrearty

3.55pm - Colin Osborne v Andy Smith

4.30pm - Dennis Priestley v Steve Maish

Evening Session

6.15pm - Kevin Painter v Alex Roy

6.50pm - Alan Tabern v Adrian Lewis

7.25pm - Andy Hamilton v Peter Manley

8.00pm - James Wade v Steve Beaton

8.35pm - Robert Thornton v Mark Dudbridge

9.10pm - Phil Taylor v Michael van Gerwen

9.45pm - Raymond van Barneveld v Andy Jenkins

10.20pm - Denis Ovens v John Part

10.55pm - Mark Walsh v Wayne Mardle

As you can see, I'm not going for many big shockers here.

Lets all predict the first round of the Players' Championships at the Circus Tavern. It's on ITV4 from Friday afternoon for anyone not aware.

First Round

Afternoon Session

Evening Session

Agree entirely. The only matches I can see from that lineup possibly going the otherway are Tabern-Lewis, Thornton-Dudbridge and Mardle-Walsh. John Part is well capable of beating Ovens, but hes been rubbish for pretty much all of the last year.

Edited by MTJ

The matches you mentioned had me thinking a good bit. Ovens/Part was probably the easier of them to call because as you say, Part hasn't been all that great, and Ovens has been really steady for a while now. He might not be spectacular, but he's good enough to beat Part.

First Round

Afternoon Session

Evening Session

working friday and saturday nights, ill have to settle for just the finals on sunday

I think the semis are on Sunday as well on the afternoon. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

ITV has a cool thing on their site where you can watch all of last year's GSOD matches in full.

Yep, semi finals and final are both on the same day. :)

VINCENT VAN DER VOORT 6-2 CHRIS MASON

It was beginning to play out as if Mason might actually bring it back, but alas, he simply wasn't good enough. Vinny wasn't great either though.

Anyways, with ITV, I have to watch on full screen, so updates are forthcoming at the breaks. Up next.

COLIN LLOYD 6-1 JAMIE CAVEN

13:37 : Lloyd is finishing well, even if his scoring is a bit naff at times. He doesn't have to be at his best though as Caven really isn't doing very well here. That 100% checkout rate can be just a tiny bit deceptive. Lloyd didn't half pull his finger out at the end, did he ? Anyways, 4-1 is unfair to Lloyd. Caven deserves nothing more than to be down 5-0 right now.

13:46 : That was actually a decent last leg there from Caven. He was unlucky not to break the throw, but you can't give Lloyd shots at a double when he's finishing the way he was there. Lloyd wasn't magnificent or anything, apart from the fifth and sixth legs, but he did enough to go through, which I'm sure will be a theme for this afternoon.

RONNIE BAXTER vs. TONY ECCLES

14:05 : Man, Tony Eccles is looking good. Scoring pretty heavy and his finishing isn't shabby by anyone's standards. Ronnie Baxter, which seems to be just like him, is putting in little glimpses of what he can do, but he is nowhere near his best right now.

14:21 : I only have this to say. What the f**k ?!?!

TERRY JENKINS 2-6 WAYNE JONES

14:41 : Steady as you like darts from both men, but Jones is better leading into the finish, where Jenkins is looking slightly out of sorts. Good finish from Jones to end that session, and he will be hoping that he doesn't do what Tony Eccles did in the previous match.

14:51 : That didn't take long. I was worrying about the same thing happening again, but Jones was too good to let that happen, and Jenkins stepping up his game a tiny notch didn't seem to do him the slightest bit of good. Very impressive opening round there from Jones.

MERVYN KING 6-2 FELIX McBREARTY

15:15 : Should this be this even at this point ? McBrearty clearly isn't very good this afternoon so far, and King started the match in sparkling form. King has sort of faded away though, and while McBrearty isn't improving all that much, he's still managed to find himself in the match at only one leg down.

15:27 : As with the first two, King turned it on big time for the last two legs. McBrearty actually threw some solid darts in that last leg before he started squandering when approaching the finish.

COLIN OSBOURNE 1-6 ANDY SMITH

15:56 : The commentator is saying that Osbourne has had one less bounceout than he actually has, and this is absolutely criminal darts from Osbourne. He's now on eight. I'll be keeping count. That was a terrific 155 checkout from Smith at the end there. You have to wonder what position Osbourne would be in if he didn't have the bounceouts that he had.

16:04 : Make that nine bounceouts. Jesus. 161 checkout in that session from Smith really killed any chance that Osbourne might have had, if he even HAD a chance prior to that. I tend to think that he didn't. Smith was lethal there and while he didn't look amazing or anything, he does look dangerous.

DENNIS PRIESTLY 6-3 STEVE MAISH

16:35 : I was really egging on Priestly to take that double 10 at the end there. Screw it, I like the guy. I thought Maish was gonna do an Osbourne, but the two bounceouts have been rectified. He seems to be playing absolutely fine now. That's not to say that Priestly isn't going to bring it back. If Priestley starts to play like he did in leg one then he's good enough to win the match.

16:53 : Priestley will feel sort of sorry for Maish for when the fan shouted out, which might have put Maish off enough to lose him the leg. However, it can't be argued that Priestley managed to turn it on when it mattered and that's why he won the match in the end.

Edited by DomDom

Surprised at Lloyd being so quick out of the blocks, and Caven for being so sluggish.

Lloyd IMO will coast the rest of the game despite a break and win 6-2.

Mason apparently is having surgery on his elbow soon, hes not Roland Scholten Euro Championship material, but hes heading that way.

Mason apparently is having surgery on his elbow soon, hes not Roland Scholten Euro Championship material, but hes heading that way.

He wasn't anywhere near that level to be honest. He was more Scholten at the WCs.