Darts...

Sideshow

i like the relegation system thing, you always get one or two players who after a couple of defeats becoming stuck in a rut and they end up being whipping boys until the tournament finishes under the old system.

i think the lineups fine. Who you gonna put in instead? Terry Jenkins? Was so stale in it and was getting a doing most years. Chizzy? Not consistent enough on tv yet. Could see the Anderson point, but hes won the tournament, probs the best natural 180 hitter in the game and he puts bums in seats.

Edited by target_dart

Aye not too unhappy with that sounds as though it will liven it up a bit.

I notice the two Scottish venues are in the first 8 fixtures. Hopefully one of them get Feel and they give the baying crowd give the wee pervert a warm welcome although he usually does in Scotland anyway.

Pro Tour Player of the Year - Dave Chisnall

Televised Performance of the Year - Raymond van Barneveld (Grand Slam Final)

Newcomer of the Year - Dean Winstanley

Fans' Player of the Year - Michael van Gerwen

PDPA Player of the Year - Michael van Gerwen

Young Player of the Year - Michael van Gerwen

Player of the Year - Phil Taylor

Edited by The Naitch

I like the changes to the PL, it's exactly the 10 I had listed with the 7 certainties and 3 I thought they'd have to make a choice between. As already said, the bottom 2 dropping out will clear out the deadwood which usually accumulates, and the expansion should hopefully make the competition for play-off players even greater. 4 of 8 was always a bit too high a qualifying percentage I felt. I'll be the first idiot to make a prediction - Hamilton and Anderson to be "relegated" and a top 4 of MVG, Taylor (top 2), Barney and Lewis.

I was reading that there is a displinary investigation into Taylor's conduct after the semi. Unsurprisingly the most likely penalty is a fine. There was never any chance of him being banned as he's too big a draw.

The BBC ran a decent article about the split in darts with the 20th anniversary this year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/darts/20903601 . Not the most in depth article if you're a darts fan, but good nonetheless. To me a couple of things stood out though, one from the PDC and one about the sport in general and how it moves forward.

Firstly, from Harrington:

He explained the PDC has plans for a "worldwide TV tour", based in part on how the professional golf circuit operates.

"That would perhaps only sustain about 64 players a year, so then we would need an undercard, a challenger tour," he said.

"If that means we have to work with the BDO, then we may do that. There's no question we would work with them if it was beneficial to the game."

The part about BDO involvement is of little interest to me (seemed like a cheap dig tbh), but this worldwide tour sounds hugely different to the current pro tour set up they have in the UK. It may only mean majors getting shifted around, but the fact he says there could only be about 64 pros and that it'd be modelled on the golf tour makes me think it would be a huge structural change in the way the PDC operates. As a fan, more regular darts on TV can only be a good thing, but it seems to me that this would really be aimed at a few top stars who would benefit more than the mid-level guys. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though. I'd be interested to know what others thought of this and whether I've misunderstood the idea.

The BDO chairman in the same article says:

"In 2014 we're starting ranking events for all different regions throughout the world and the winners of those events will come to the Lakeside," he said.

"We're increasing the traditional 32-man field to 40 and doubling the women's draw to 16.

"I suppose both we and the PDC are striving for the best talent. I don't want to praise or criticise them."

I'm not sure how many of the 40 would be "regional winners", but I think it's very encouraging to see the emphasis that both organisations are putting on international expansion as a vehicle for growing the sport. I've said in here a number of times how positive it is to have the European players such as Huybrechts, Hopp or Haavisto progressing and raising the standard of the sport. Hopefully this can continue and it's good to see this being acknowledged on both sides of the divide.

Should be another year of car crash telly at the pub darts tomorrow. Its like going from watching Barcelona to watching Brentford. The cheek these c***s have to call their two bob tournie the "World Pro". More like 5 World Pros and 27, 75 average jobbers.

John Walton lol. I thought he was deid. They'll be biggin up the Dazzler on the comms as if its still 2005, he couldnae hit a barn door these days.

Oh by the way, hope Scotty 2 Hotty wins it. Especially hope Wolfie gets slaughtered the ugly spineless twat

Edited by target_dart

Should be another year of car crash telly at the pub darts tomorrow. Its like going from watching Barcelona to watching Brentford. The cheek these c***s have to call their two bob tournie the "World Pro". More like 5 World Pros and 27, 75 average jobbers.

John Walton lol. I thought he was deid. They'll be biggin up the Dazzler on the comms as if its still 2005, he couldnae hit a barn door these days.

Oh by the way, hope Scotty 2 Hotty wins it. Especially hope Wolfie gets slaughtered the ugly spineless twat

OK, I'll bite...

The main thing that used to be car crash about it was the production values (and Tony Fleet, bless him) but since ESPN got involved the production side of it has improved considerably.

It's hardly pub darts, either. The BDO is a fantastic breeding ground for the big stars of tomorrow and, as such, merits its place in the darting world. Even the PDC recognise that.

I have noticed, though, that the TV coverage doesn't start on the BBC until 2.30pm when the matches get started at 1pm. That's pretty poor. In previous years there's been red button coverage but that seems to have been dumped.

Edited by The Naitch

Target dart are you MTJ brer? If not where is he?

Im pretty sure he is.He does a good job of winding folk up on the df forum.

We all know the overall standard won't be as good as the pdc but it is still darts,so it has to be watched !

Green v Kist should be a belter today.

Today's order of play...

AFTERNOON SESSION

Martin Atkins (Eng) (11) v Jason Cullen (Ire)

Robbie Green (Eng) (5) v Christian Kist (Ned)

Gary Robson (Eng) (10) v Garry Thompson (Eng)

Richie George (Eng) (15) v Dave Prins (Eng)

EVENING SESSION

Darryl Fitton (16) v Benito van de Pas (Ned)

Alan Norris (Eng) (9) v Wayne Warren (Wal)

Tony O'Shea (Eng) (4) v John Walton (Eng)

The afternoon games are on BBC, except the first one. The evening session is on ESPN.

Edited by The Naitch

Target dart are you MTJ brer? If not where is he?

That crossed my mind as well when I read it.

Today's order of play...

AFTERNOON SESSION

Martin Atkins (Eng) (11) v Jason Cullen (Ire)

Robbie Green (Eng) (5) v Christian Kist (Ned)

Gary Robson (Eng) (10) v Garry Thompson (Eng)

Richie George (Eng) (15) v Dave Prins (Eng)

EVENING SESSION

Darryl Fitton (16) v Benito van de Pas (Ned)

Alan Norris (Eng) (9) v Wayne Warren (Wal)

Tony O'Shea (Eng) (4) v John Walton (Eng)

The afternoon games are on BBC, except the first one. The evening session is on ESPN.

Patent on bolded trio.

Nah mate just ain't been posting much lately. Sick of mongs like jagfox and highlandmagyar derailing every thistle thread. NFL thread is full of muppets like lichtie23 and pride of the clyde clogging it up with their drivel too.

Worst poster on Pie and Bovril.