Darts...

Sideshow

Give me Lewis vs van Gerwen for 3 hours every Thursday for 15 weeks instead of the Premier League pls.

No doubt! Their recent meetings have produced a consistent standard of quality and excitement that I don't think any other fixture has reached. (Even Taylor-Barney from 06-08).

The one disappointing element to the van Gerwen-Lewis dynamic is that we probably won't see it in a World final for a significant period to come.

They are 2nd and 3rd on the Order of Merit, so would meet in the Semi Finals, with Taylor facing Whitlock - going purely on seeding.

Looking at the Order of Merit now, and presuming each seeded player made it through - this is what the Second Round would look like for the World Championship.

(1) Phil Taylor

v

(32) Michael Smith

(16) Peter Wright

v

(17) Terry Jenkins

(8. Wes Newton

v

(25) John Part

(9) Raymond van Barneveld

v

(24) Colin Lloyd

-------------------------------------

(5) Andy Hamilton

v

(28) Richie Burnett

(12) Kim Hutbrechts

v

(21) Ian White

(4) Simon Whitlock

v

(29) Mark Walsh

(13) Kevin Painter

v

(20) Paul Nicholson

(2) Michael van Gerwen

v

v

(31) Wayne Jones

(15) Brendan Dolan

v

(18) Gary Anderson

(7) Dave Chisnall

v

(26) Mark Webster

(10) Robert Thornton

v

(23) Jamie Caven

(6) James Wade

v

(27) Andy Smith

(11) Justin Pipe

v

(22) Steve Beaton

(3) Adrian Lewis

v

(30) Vincent van der Voort

(14) Mervyn King

v

(19) Ronnie Baxter

Edited by Davis Love III

I am warming to Adrian Lewis. He's a fat, ugly, sweaty, bad loser, but I'm starting to warm to him as a person now, he seems to have become a bit more humble. He's a fantastic dart player. MvG is outstanding too, but I think he's getting a bit cocky.

Taylor and Wade are just a pair of p***ks I would never tire of punching. Great players though.

Sky will never question Taylor. He's their golden boy. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bother bidding for the PDC when he retires. You can see Dave Clark's hard on when he interviews him.

Gary Anderson played well last night, in fact it's the best I've seen him play, after a match he's been outstanding in, if that makes sense. Normally after being outstanding he throws a shiter.

The Lewis MvG match was just outstanding.

I think we will see a 9 darter before this tournament is wrapped up.

I'm going to put money on a 9 darter in Lewis-Huybrechts, both are playing brilliantly and the pace they both play at will suit each other. The format is quite long as well.

I thought for sure one was coming in Lewis MvG last night. Same thing, the pace suited them both.

It's good to watch two players at the same pace, without them trying to play mind games and slow the other down. Means both play better and it's a better spectacle. Hankey is a p***k for doing that all the time. It works for him, but ruins the match to watch.

No doubt! Their recent meetings have produced a consistent standard of quality and excitement that I don't think any other fixture has reached. (Even Taylor-Barney from 06-08).

I give Taylor another 5 years and then the two of them should be 1 and 2 in the World for years to come unless there is something special coming through the ranks. Surely in 5 years Taylor will have deteriorated and packed it in? SURELY!

Just an awesome game of darts could never tire of watching those two going at it the styles are just a perfect match. I agree Huybrechts/Lewis will be a belter as well you only have to look at the game at The Masters to see that it's going to be superb.

Huybrechts is going to get a Premier League spot he's turning into an Andy Hamilton type guy making the quarter finals and beyond of events but has a better style to watch to suit the PL.

Still don't get the Wade lovin' from Mallo. Beating an absolutely diabolical Nicho is nothing to write home about. Taylor will hand him his arse AGAIN in the quarters with Wade giving up AGAIN a good few legs before the end.

Looking ahead five years is an interesting thought. It will be fascinating to see the complexion of the game by that stage, and while we should expect MVG-Lewis-Huybrechts to be around the top, the second tier of players may look so different, given the age of many of those ranked 8-20.

For what it's worth, here is the PDC Order of Merit from five years ago. BOLD = Still in Top 32 (Ranking in 2013 in Brackets).

1. Phil Taylor (1)

2. Raymond van Barneveld (9)

3. James Wade (6)

4. John Part (25)

5. Terry Jenkins (17)

6. Adrian Lewis (3)

7. Andy Hamilton (5)

8. Wayne Mardle (n/a)

9. Alan Tabern (50)

10. Colin Lloyd (24)

11. Dennis Priestley (55)

12. Mervyn King (14)

13. Peter Manley (n/a)

14. Colin Osborne (33)

15. Ronnie Baxter (19)

16. Roland Scholten (57)

17. Kevin Painter (13)

18. Denis Ovens (40)

19. Vincent van der Voort (30)

20. Mark Dudbridge (65)

21. Mark Walsh (29)

22. Chris Mason (206)

23. Kirk Shepherd (130)

24. Andy Jenkins (56)

25. Wayne Jones (31)

26. Andy Smith (27)

27. Adrian Gray (73)

28. Alex Roy (84)

29. Barrie Bates (153)

30. Tony Eccles (n/a)

31. Wes Newton (8 )

32. Michael van Gerwen (2)

So, just 17 of the Top 32 five years ago are still there.

Edited by Davis Love III

WOW that's excellent stuff DL really shows how far the PDC has progressed in even that space of time. Some absolute dross in there. Alan Tabern at 9? HOLY f**k!

They obviously must have been playing decent to get to those levels but surely the standard is a lot higher now on tour in terms of averages? The fact so many have dropped out would indicate so.

While we're here, this was the Top 16 in the PDC going into the 2004 World Championship.

How times have changed...BOLD = Top 16 in 2013 (Ranking in 2013 in Brackets).

1. Phil Taylor (1)

2. John Part (25)

3. Peter Manley (n/a)

4. Roland Scholten (57)

5. Colin Lloyd (24)

6. Dennis Smith (49)

7. Ronnie Baxter (19)

8. Denis Ovens (40)

9. Alan Warriner (n/a)

10. Kevin Painter (13)

11. Andy Jenkins (56)

12. Wayne Mardle (n/a)

13. Richie Burnett (28)

14. Dave Askew (n/a)

15. Jamie Harvey (n/a)

16. Dennis Priestley (55)

They obviously must have been playing decent to get to those levels but surely the standard is a lot higher now on tour in terms of averages? The fact so many have dropped out would indicate so.

Without question. (Trying not to sound like Rod Harrington).

The standard now is just so high in terms of the scoring, with the depth of players making it so difficult to make it past even the early rounds on the Pro Tour.

Given that, I've got a lot of respect for the players that have clung on, as many others have fallen away, with some even leaving the game entirely.

I see they've announced more details of how the Grand Slam will be when it becomes a ranking event in 2015...

The winners of the following 12 major tournaments will each receive an invitation to the 2015 Grand Slam of Darts:

2014 Grand Slam of Darts
2014 Players Championship Finals
2014-15 Ladbrokes World Darts Championship
2015 Premier League Darts
2015 World Matchplay
2015 World Grand Prix
2015 UK Open
2015 European Championship
2015 Masters
2015 World Cup of Darts (two players)
2015 World Youth Championship
2015 Lakeside BDO Championship

The rest of the 16 automatic qualifiers will be for the runners up of those tournaments, with those higher in the OOM at the time getting priority.

The other 16 entrants will come from two qualifiers - one for the PDC guys and one for everyone else, with 8 qualifying from each tournament.

Edited by The Naitch

I like what they've done with the criteria. It means that up to nine BDO guys could qualify for it and it also rewards in form players meaning dross like Barrie Bates and Mark Walsh won't darken the doors of the Wolverhampton Civic Hall.