Rugby Union

kiwififer

I think Nel will be a shoe in for a spot in the starting team, but apart from that I think we could struggle to get any others in the team. I cant see anyother front row players getting close to the team, maybe dickinson might be in the squad, although Ford is a Lion already, maybe he has the same pictures of the Lions selectors as the scottish management.

2nd row, one or maybe both the Gray's are in with a shout, although Itoje and Kruis are definetly the first choice, and you have Lawes as well in the mix

Back row - Apart from Hardie I cant see anyone being near the squad, although the 2 welsh open sides may force him out

Backs, Laidlaw will probably get in the squad, and end up captaining the midweek team but I would see this being a more political choice. Russel would be an outside choice at 10, but Sexton, Ford, Farrell, Biggar are probably ahead of him.

Centers - Dunbar, Taylor, Bennett are all outside bets, but given how Gatland will want to play, not sure any fit in. Davies and Roberts are show in for the squad along with Henshaw

Wings - I think Seymour will get in the squad, and maybe the only other Scot to start. Other wings are in with a shout.  

Hogg vs Halfpenny - Halfpenny is bound to get in the team unless he picks Farrell at 10 or 12 as they will need a goal kicker. Hogg should make the squad though as it would be a travesty if he was left out altogether

I've always enjoyed the Lions but if this is another tour where scottish players deserving of places are ignored, we should pull out of it altogether. Suspect the high profile commercial sponsorship has resulted in a desire to pander to English n Welsh audiences rather than what is best for the Lions to beat their opponents. The last tour was a joke, only redeemed by weak opposition. This time round it needs best possible squad to get near nz. Anything less will be a full blown humiliation possibly even worse than Woodwards tour.

Agree mate

Anyone know if there is a stream for the Glasgow game tonight? Re lions the one thing that may help scots is that sky have the pro12 and the lions and their pundits have been vocal in supporting Scottish players especially Johnny gray, Tommy Seymour n Stuart hogg. They wont want pro12 players ignored since its the only domestic league they have. For me nel should be test tighthead, gray is the outstanding 2nd row (ritchie should be in the squad), strauss is the sort of direct player nz dislike and should be in mix for twst xv, Seymour n hogg should be pushing test xv. Finn, horne, taylor, maitland should be squad possibles. That said i dont see gatland looking at any Scottish forwards apart from gray, and any backs outside of hogg and Seymour. Laidlaw is well thought of but his distribution is too slow and ford shouldn't be in our squad let alone lions.

13 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Anyone know if there is a stream for the Glasgow game tonight? Re lions the one thing that may help scots is that sky have the pro12 and the lions and their pundits have been vocal in supporting Scottish players especially Johnny gray, Tommy Seymour n Stuart hogg. They wont want pro12 players ignored since its the only domestic league they have. For me nel should be test tighthead, gray is the outstanding 2nd row (ritchie should be in the squad), strauss is the sort of direct player nz dislike and should be in mix for twst xv, Seymour n hogg should be pushing test xv. Finn, horne, taylor, maitland should be squad possibles. That said i dont see gatland looking at any Scottish forwards apart from gray, and any backs outside of hogg and Seymour. Laidlaw is well thought of but his distribution is too slow and ford shouldn't be in our squad let alone lions.

Bit confused by that post. You don't think Nel will go?  I'd say if he stays injury free, he might be Scotland's only starter.

ETA: I had forgotten Maitland went on the last tour.  I still think he's Scotland's best winger.  I think Seymour's a certainty for the squad if he continues his scoring record.  He's had more tries than Visser has had touches of the ball in the last couple of seasons.

ETA2: Finn Russell is one head knock away from retirement.  I can't see him going.

Edited by Savage Henry

Bit confused by that post. You don't think Nel will go?  I'd say if he stays injury free, he might be Scotland's only starter.

ETA: I had forgotten Maitland went on the last tour.  I still think he's Scotland's best winger.  I think Seymour's a certainty for the squad if he continues his scoring record.  He's had more tries than Visser has had touches of the ball in the last couple of seasons.

ETA2: Finn Russell is one head knock away from retirement.  I can't see him going.

Sorry didn't word it well.....nel absolutely should be 1st pick prop....but Ryan grant should have been last time out and Euan Murray on prev tour. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see him (wrongly ignored). I'd like us to go really bold at 10 and look at guys like Russell and even cipriani. Biggar farrell ford etc are good but they don't offer many surprises. NZ defence is too good to be overly predictable (another issue I'd have with Gatland tbh)

4 hours ago, dogmc said:

Sorry didn't word it well.....nel absolutely should be 1st pick prop....but Ryan grant should have been last time out and Euan Murray on prev tour. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see him (wrongly ignored). I'd like us to go really bold at 10 and look at guys like Russell and even cipriani. Biggar farrell ford etc are good but they don't offer many surprises. NZ defence is too good to be overly predictable (another issue I'd have with Gatland tbh)

Cipriani is a very good top level club player, but he is not good enough at international level, and certainly not at Lions level.

Anyway, for any fans of the other code, if you get the chance, watch the replay of today's Cowboys v Broncos NRL play-off game. Absolutely brilliant game. In fact, watch it even if you don't like League - just a brilliant game of rugby.