Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

We didn't bottle it at all there. That was a great game but we didn't have enough in the tank at the end and the early injuries meant we couldn't freshen up the back row.

We did. Good performance, but by the definition of "bottled it" we bottled it. The game was there for the taking (again) and they lost it (again).

Against 14 men as well remember.

Edited by S7C

We didn't bottle it at all there. That was a great game but we didn't have enough in the tank at the end and the early injuries meant we couldn't freshen up the back row.

Yeah agreed, I'm usually first to criticise the lack of bottle from this Scotland side to finish off tight games but this wasn't the case here.

2 minutes ago, S7C said:

We did. Good performance, but by the definition of "bottled it" we bottled it. The game was there for the taking (again) and they lost it (again).

Against 14 men as well remember.

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about in all honesty. 

We can't use the injuries as an excuse, that had a few too. We went ahead and as soon as they had go forward ball we went into our shell and into survival mode even when they went down to 14.

When they went down to 14 had absolutely zero territory management, Finn smashed one straight to the full back instead of finding touch, gaining territory and relieving the pressure. Visser also, but at least he was trying to beat a forward on the outside which is fair enough.

Anyways, we did play really well in parts and it was a good game to watch. It just had that familiar finish where we show nothing late on while defending a lead for our lives and losing another close but 'glorious' defeat.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

Agree but we do get a serious lack of luck

Definitely today, there were one or two other things that could've went in our favour such as the conversion, but it was an encouraging display, we looked strong defensively for the most part and looked dangerous in attack. There's not many players I enjoy watching more than Hogg right now, brilliant to watch!

It's a big step up in performance from the Japan games and whilst it's frustrating to lose at the death again, it's worth remembering that not so long ago we were getting thoroughly scudded in games like this. We aren't a million miles from being a very good side and I'd expect further improvement when toony takes over (not least because we will have a coaching team that toony rather than soundbite Johnson has picked). I'm still not overly convinced by cotter. Hasn't been a lot of consistency and don't think he's getting as much out of these guys as the embra n Glasgow coaches do. Still wonder what we'd be like if Robinson had access to the sort of backs we have now. He had the pack playing superbly but he had no ammo to work with behind the scrum.

We can't use the injuries as an excuse, that had a few too. We went ahead and as soon as they had go forward ball we went into our shell and into survival mode even when they went down to 14.

When they went down to 14 had absolutely zero territory management, Finn smashed one straight to the full back instead of finding touch, gaining territory and relieving the pressure. Visser also, but at least he was trying to beat a forward on the outside which is fair enough.

Anyways, we did play really well in parts and it was a good game to watch. It just had that familiar finish where we show nothing late on while defending a lead for our lives and losing another close but 'glorious' defeat.

In Russell's defence that kick was made under immense pressure from three incoming Aussies.

I'd say the stupid penalty given away by Barclay (who FWIW was outstanding) when he inexplicably played the ball on his back at the formation of a ruck was the main catalyst for the resulting implosion. Can't be too harsh on Horne as Kuridrani was running at some pace on the outside of his weak shoulder, very difficult tackle to make as you would know if you play(ed) rugby. All in all, shit happens. Even with 14 men teams like Australia are capable of producing moments like that, I'm content (for now) to be just competing with them like that after the shambles that was 2000-2014.

So, as GAD said not necessarily a bottle job, I'd argue the infamous QF involving Joubert was more of a bottle job as we had the simplest of tasks in securing our own line out to make it through. Regardless of the appalling refereeing that followed, making that big a mistake at that point of the game is inexcusable and far more of a 'bottle job' IMO.

15 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

It was a solid performance today. If Laidlaw had his shooting boots on we would have won.

That Hamish boy looked the weakest link.

Hamish Watson? Only thing I can remember him doing in a Scotland shirt is getting binned along with Ben Toolis when we chucked it against Italy a couple of years ago.

He didn't get binned today so it's progression.