Rugby Union

kiwififer

Realistically making the Champions Cup quarter finals means two wins over Cardiff with at least one bonus so it's good they are regressing.

It's great to see the Italians stepping up a level. A few years ago I thought they would have been better off joining the French leagues and possibly settling in D2 but the conference format seems to suit them. Treviso also stayed competitive in Llanelli despite a red card.

Edit  - Lyon put 55 points on Montpelier so the CC is going to be extremely tough!

Edited by Detournement

To me it looks like, even this early, that Glasgow and Leinster will win their pools with Munster and Scarlets 2nd... Exactly same as last year. Glasgow really need to make a dent in the champions cup, I'd expect them to beat Saracens at home, Cardiff home and away and Lyon at home. Qualification will depend on the other 2 games but that might be enough. However we really need to make a statement and win all six, with home QF, hopeful home SF and home final. Leinster do this so we should too.... I predict a good year in Europe and I think Edinburgh may surprise too.

With a full squad to pick from it i'd say it's an even game. However there's not much depth in this Glasgow squad and Jonny Gray gets injured they might as well not bother as we saw in the QF.

Saracens have serious squad depth and quality. A back five of Itoje, Kruis, Burger, Rhodes and Billy V is gigantic.

With a full squad to pick from it i'd say it's an even game. However there's not much depth in this Glasgow squad and Jonny Gray gets injured they might as well not bother as we saw in the QF.

Saracens have serious squad depth and quality. A back five of Itoje, Kruis, Burger, Rhodes and Billy V is gigantic.

I think Glasgow will win by 7+ in Scotstoun. Mind you I thought that last year when Leinster (champions cup) and Scarlets (pro 14 semi final)arrived and we never showed up. More than capable we were.

We need to be aiming to win all our home games in Europe.  This is important if you want to be serious about winning silverware.

Lyon just won their 1st game of the season at home to Montpellier but still a tricky game.  Barring Sarries, our away games are winnable IF we show up.

Shame about Zander but this allows other players to step up in his place.  Siua Halanukanuka and D'arcy Rae will compete for the 3 jersey.  As for Scotland, it'll now be a battle between Simon Berghan and WP Nel for the 3 jersey.

On 9/15/2018 at 19:36, John Lambies Doos said:

Anyone know why Russell is not in Racing squad tonight. Be fantastic if he's being rested, hopefully not injured?

He wasn't even in France. Turned up at the Hawks game at Balgray. 

I thought Warriors were good in Bloemfontein. A bit too error strewn in the first half but showed their metal in the second. Cheetahs don't look as good as last year, but I fancy their home form to be excellent. Fagerson is a huge below, hopefully not as serious as it looked. 

Got to say I think Glasgow could do with a good 8 and another 10. Pete Horne has been off form this season to start.  

To me it looks like nothing has been learnt from last season, and this year is going to be exactly the same, blowing away most teams, but losing out to the big guns when it really matters.

Having Sarries up first in Europe sets the tone, as we have a good chance of beating them and Cardiff away, before Lyon away. Its a pit Lyon are at home to Cardiff in the first game, as if they had been away and lost, then lost to Sarries they would have probably thrown in the towel in Europe to focus on staying in the top 14. However if they are still in with a shout they will be targeting the first game vs Glasgow at home to stay in with a shout.

Im also slightly concerned about how small our available squad seems to be, in terms of players we have one of the biggest squads , however we've hardly made any changes to the squad over the last 3 games so Im assuming thats all we've got available which is worrying

Just to add to the comments on Australia, the Pacific league is getting closer to a reality, looking at an 8 team league, with the Force, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japanese teams and potentialy some of the Pacific Islands, with Forest pciking up the costs for 16 players per team and the clubs themselves the remainder.

ARU given them the backing as long as they dont overlap into the area's with Shute Shield teams

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/castle-gives-go-ahead-for-world-series-to-become-a-western-force-in-sydney-20180913-p503md.html

He wasn't even in France. Turned up at the Hawks game at Balgray. 

I thought Warriors were good in Bloemfontein. A bit too error strewn in the first half but showed their metal in the second. Cheetahs don't look as good as last year, but I fancy their home form to be excellent. Fagerson is a huge below, hopefully not as serious as it looked. 

Got to say I think Glasgow could do with a good 8 and another 10. Pete Horne has been off form this season to start.  

Blade Thomson of Scarlets has a Scottish bloodline. Wait a season then sign him after he gets capped. There’s your 8.

6 hours ago, honestly united said:

Im also slightly concerned about how small our available squad seems to be, in terms of players we have one of the biggest squads , however we've hardly made any changes to the squad over the last 3 games so Im assuming thats all we've got available which is worrying

I think there is obviously some forward planning with who plays when.

There are also a lot of injuries. Lee Jones, Big Brian, the Nuke, Kiran McDonald, Swinson and Sam Johnston.  Plus Rory Hughes and Matt Smith have both to come back into the squad and Adam Nicol will probably get an opportunity. Beyond that I don't expect much from Tagive, Masaga and Thomson. And obviously we need to wait and see with Tameliau. It would be handy if a couple more academy players stepped up.

Edit - Robbie Nairn is flying out to SA so he looks to be ahead of Rory Hughes.

Edited by Detournement