Rugby Union

kiwififer

That's it started with the push for all Are Boys to be in the Lions starting line up
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-9374271/Ireland-vs-England-throws-subplot-Johnny-Sexton-vs-George-Ford-Lions-battle-No-10.html
Finn Russell is being effectively classed as second rate by this shower.  More to come as the tour, wherever it ends up, gets closer.
Not sure there is much of an argument tbh. Russell has shown nothing in 6 nations to have him starting for Lions (especially a Gatland Lions Team). Only criticism is that there is an obvious slight in back row where I'd have Watson. But ultimately we really don't deserve much Lions representation.

2 hours ago, hearthammer said:

That's it started with the push for all Are Boys to be in the Lions starting line up

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-9374271/Ireland-vs-England-throws-subplot-Johnny-Sexton-vs-George-Ford-Lions-battle-No-10.html

Finn Russell is being effectively classed as second rate by this shower.  More to come as the tour, wherever it ends up, gets closer.

I don’t think Russell is, on current form, a better selection than either of those players.  Certainly not for a Gatlandball team.  And he was absolutely dreadful against Ireland.  Crappy timing, granted, but he needed to step up and ended up looking headless.

Edit: that being said, I’d watch Russell play at 10 every day of the week ahead of either of those other two if it meant not watching Warren Gatland’s team.  Pragmatic is one thing.  Mind achingly one dimensional is quite another.   Townsend’s team is most definitely Townsend’s team, for good or for ill.

Edited by Savage Henry

51 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Not sure there is much of an argument tbh. Russell has shown nothing in 6 nations to have him starting for Lions (especially a Gatland Lions Team). Only criticism is that there is an obvious slight in back row where I'd have Watson. But ultimately we really don't deserve much Lions representation.

After our win at Twickenham, and also after the Wales game, he was down as nailed down starter for the Lions by all the pundits. I think he will go, but wont start as Gatland will want someone to kick to the corners etc.

For me Hogg, Russell and Watson are already on the plane.

Potentials are Grey (if Exeter do well he's in with a shout), Zander would be but his red has dented his chances, Ritchie and Maitland / Duhan.

The players are lucky that the France game has been moved back as it gives them a last chance to shine while the rest are not playing. If we can get a win in Paris (where we would finish 2nd in the 6 Nations) would probably be enough to give some of the others a chance at getting on the plane.

I personally couldn’t give a f**k about the Lions but Finn Russell seems to be judged against completely different standards to anyone else playing 10. All Sexton did was blooter the ball up in the air for 80 mins behind a dominant pack. He also missed a penalty to touch at the end of the first half and a reasonably easy conversion but the entire narrative is that he schooled Russell, on the basis that FR missed a penalty kick and a touch kick, ignoring the fact he was camped in his own half for most of the 1st half with pretty much no decent 1st phase ball behind a pack that was getting it tight.

Predictably Tom English pushed this line but quite a few folk on his Twitter thread calling him out on it. The problems v Ireland weren’t Finn Russell, who was pretty average  for the part of the game he actually played.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

And there he is! Price, Turner and Harris all dropped as well. Very attacking team, obviously wants to make a statement after the two losses.

20210318_140338.jpg

Looks like they’re going to chuck it about all over the shop... which will either result in a 50 point win or an Italy win and knock ons left, right and centre.

Don’t think the loss of Russell should really necessitate a switch of Hogg, but desperate times, I guess.

All we have to do is be solid in defence for the first 20 minutes and we will win. If we get any ball at all we will rip them to shreds, and giving Hogg a chance of game time at 10 is no bad thing if it allows different options on the bench. ie normally we would have a 2nd 10 on the bench to cover then a centre / wing to cover everywhere else, but if you have Hogg that can step in gives more scope for options of the bench. 

If its not going to plan Jaco is more than capable off the bench. Against anyone else I would be saying van der walt should be starting, and going forward we have Russell, Hastings that should be ahead of him, and Thompson and Chamberlain will hopefully be vying for that 3 spot shortly so probably wont have any other opportunities to start.

Glasgow team has just been released for Sunday. Adam Hastings is playing fullback. Why did we not just pick him for Scotland at 10? Does his ban include the Italy game, and therefore served in time for the Glasgow game?

Glasgow team has just been released for Sunday. Adam Hastings is playing fullback. Why did we not just pick him for Scotland at 10? Does his ban include the Italy game, and therefore served in time for the Glasgow game?
The Italy game is the last game of his ban and he is free to play from the Sunday (not sure how it would have worked if both games were the Saturday)

I read that no decision has been made yet to release the English bassed players.

2 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
17 hours ago, Left Back said:

I read that no decision has been made yet to release the English bassed players.

That's what I read as well. English clubs asking for more money, or possibly refusing completely. We were always going to get shafted here.

That's what I read as well. English clubs asking for more money, or possibly refusing completely. We were always going to get shafted here.
They will definitely be looking for more money to release the players. I don't see the SRU paying it but the Six Nations or the FFR should.

2 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
11 minutes ago, GAD said:

They will definitely be looking for more money to release the players. I don't see the SRU paying it but the Six Nations or the FFR should.

I think some teams might refuse altogether to be honest. For a team like Exeter, that aren't even guaranteed a playoff spot at the moment, maybe having Hogg, Gray and Skinner available is worth more to them.

I think some teams might refuse altogether to be honest. For a team like Exeter, that aren't even guaranteed a playoff spot at the moment, maybe having Hogg, Gray and Skinner available is worth more to them.
We are definitely getting fucked over