Rugby Union

kiwififer

13 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Should never have needed reviewed. They may as well say on field referees no longer give red cards.

This is right.  That should have been a straight red which the officials could have decided on the field.  Blatant.  I guess the default is to give yellows and shift the burden - and speed up the game.  But I quite like the deliberation process - it’s refereeing out in the open. 

36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

This is right.  That should have been a straight red which the officials could have decided on the field.  Blatant.  I guess the default is to give yellows and shift the burden - and speed up the game.  But I quite like the deliberation process - it’s refereeing out in the open. 

That's effectively what the protocol is.

If the ref sees it live right in front of him, he'll give a red. Anything that requires TMO intervention is a yellow with a bunker review.

As much as Fat Billy's effort yesterday was a clear red on the first replay, the fact it wasn't clear to the officials live meant he couldn't show the red card there and then

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Don't think so.

There were plenty in Super Rugby that remained as a yellow though

Which suggests that Test level refs are using it when they're pretty sure it's red and just want someone to check their working

While in Super Rugby they're using it for things that they think are probably just yellow but someone else may as well have a quick check just in case

But it's a small sample so it might not mean anything

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Which suggests that Test level refs are using it when they're pretty sure it's red and just want someone to check their working

While in Super Rugby they're using it for things that they think are probably just yellow but someone else may as well have a quick check just in case

But it's a small sample so it might not mean anything

There were at least 2 over the weekend that went to bunker review and remained a yellow. The one in the wales game I didnt even think it was a yellow as the player was already being tackled and fell into his shoulder and he was already fairly low

29 minutes ago, honestly united said:

There were at least 2 over the weekend that went to bunker review and remained a yellow. The one in the wales game I didnt even think it was a yellow as the player was already being tackled and fell into his shoulder and he was already fairly low

Well I can discard that hypothesis in response to more data then

I know referees are sometimes a touchy subject on this thread, but appointments for the RWC pools are up:

SA v Scotland - Angus Gardner

Scotland v Tonga - Karl Dickson

Scotland v Romania - Wayne Barnes

Ireland v Scotland - Nic Berry

Jaco Peyper has the opening game.

No Matt Carley is a huge bonus, as is no Reynal

We had Nic Berry for the 2nd France game, I thought he was ok (was he?)

Angus Gardner for SA, not sure if that is good or bad

Edit to add Gardner did the Italy game is 6Nations so will be re-watching that also

Edited by honestly united

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

No Matt Carley is a huge bonus, as is no Reynal

We had Nic Berry for the 2nd France game, I thought he was ok (was he?)

Angus Gardner for SA, not sure if that is good or bad

Edit to add Gardner did the Italy game is 6Nations so will be re-watching that also

I thought Berry was pretty bad in the second France game, but in a "bad for both teams" kind of way.

24 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Karl Dickson should be nowhere near the RWC refereeing panel.

I’d be tempted to prevent him attending any of the games as a spectator as well tbqhwy

The one thing about Dickson is that I'm pretty sure he's a big team ref who will happily f**k over the Tongans all day because he assumes it's all their fault.