Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Canada sat back when the MLS started and declined the offer of teams at the start, they have joined in now but are years behind the US now, when previously they were much the better team.

It's massively complex. Canada have been a bit of a car crash from 2013 really. There has been so many Canadian rugby competitions over the past wee while too. They had the amateur cup competition which seems to have been stopped since 2018. 

They were only a year behind entering the MLR but it's only one team, the Toronto Arrows, which seems to be loosely related to the Ontario Blues team at provincial level but is a private team. I think Rugby Canada supports their participation, hence they got Rob Howley to come in some capacity through connections with Kingsley Jones. 

However, Rugby Canada's HQ is west coast and it really needs more teams in MLR to really improve. Vancouver must be a shout for one and there's always been strong rugby base in the Maritimes, hence Glasgow playing there once.

Edited by flyingscot

Tom English said in his recent article that a 4th game will be added to the 3 Tests in Argentina. 

I'd wager it'll be the previous weekend before the 1st Test to offer a warm up game. 

I'm hearing it'll be against Chile. They've got a 2 legged World Cup qualifier vs the USA so it's a good warm up for them too if it's true. 

3 hours ago, come on shire said:

Tom English said in his recent article that a 4th game will be added to the 3 Tests in Argentina. 

I'd wager it'll be the previous weekend before the 1st Test to offer a warm up game. 

I'm hearing it'll be against Chile. They've got a 2 legged World Cup qualifier vs the USA so it's a good warm up for them too if it's true. 

If it is Chile, that's a great decision by the SRU.

TBF to them (and I rarely am), we have always been one of the first to offer Test matches against the emerging nations.

14 hours ago, flyingscot said:

It's massively complex. Canada have been a bit of a car crash from 2013 really. There has been so many Canadian rugby competitions over the past wee while too. They had the amateur cup competition which seems to have been stopped since 2018. 

They were only a year behind entering the MLR but it's only one team, the Toronto Arrows, which seems to be loosely related to the Ontario Blues team at provincial level but is a private team. I think Rugby Canada supports their participation, hence they got Rob Howley to come in some capacity through connections with Kingsley Jones. 

However, Rugby Canada's HQ is west coast and it really needs more teams in MLR to really improve. Vancouver must be a shout for one and there's always been strong rugby base in the Maritimes, hence Glasgow playing there once.

Was it not 2 season before the Canadian team joined?

Anyway they were offered be joint partners I believe, to begin with, then were offered 2 teams in the inaugrial season but rejected both offers. The just dont seem to be producing players anymore, the majority of the test team last time I looked were all in their 30's, pretty much DTH and his age group with no one coming through to replace them. Its been coming as I know a lot of there fans didnt think they would qualify last time, and from memory only made it through the repachge, although I may be wrong. The likes of Chile and Brazil are improving and will be helped by the SLR so it may not be a quick turn around in fortunes for them.

Spain being back in, and hopefully 1 other new face through the repachge this time round will be good, as it does nothing being the same 20 teams every 4 years at the world cup, even if the organisers are doing there best to ensure that happens

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

Was it not 2 season before the Canadian team joined?

Anyway they were offered be joint partners I believe, to begin with, then were offered 2 teams in the inaugrial season but rejected both offers. The just dont seem to be producing players anymore, the majority of the test team last time I looked were all in their 30's, pretty much DTH and his age group with no one coming through to replace them. Its been coming as I know a lot of there fans didnt think they would qualify last time, and from memory only made it through the repachge, although I may be wrong. The likes of Chile and Brazil are improving and will be helped by the SLR so it may not be a quick turn around in fortunes for them.

Spain being back in, and hopefully 1 other new face through the repachge this time round will be good, as it does nothing being the same 20 teams every 4 years at the world cup, even if the organisers are doing there best to ensure that happens

Yeah they joined in the expansion to 9 teams. Didn't realise they were offered two teams, and joint partners, hadn't heard that before.

The advantage for Canada is now there are 60+ Canadian qualified players playing in MLR. If they could get another team (Vancouver would work as a market instantly) then they could start a recovery by regular professional playing time. Problem is Rugby Canada nor anyone else seems to want to pay the $4m fee to join. 

20 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Yeah they joined in the expansion to 9 teams. Didn't realise they were offered two teams, and joint partners, hadn't heard that before.

The advantage for Canada is now there are 60+ Canadian qualified players playing in MLR. If they could get another team (Vancouver would work as a market instantly) then they could start a recovery by regular professional playing time. Problem is Rugby Canada nor anyone else seems to want to pay the $4m fee to join. 

I had thought they had tried to put a deal together with the Seattle team as obviously close to Vancouver (from memoery which may be wrong) Im sure they had a Canadian coach and had lined up a large number of Canadian players for the franchise but that fell through. Having an additional 60 plus pro's is a step in the right direction, but if you think the US now has 200 - 250 extra pro's there always going to be playing catch up

The intelligent Scottish journalist thinks we need some sort of KPMG style of audit of the 6 Nations campaign. That sort of approach works so well for the English cricket and rugby teams. We lost 3 games, we won 2. It's sport that's what happens. 

How about they train harder, get better tactics and put down in writing exactly how much control the SRU have over downtime for contracted players and exiles?

Edited by Detournement

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

If it is Chile, that's a great decision by the SRU.

TBF to them (and I rarely am), we have always been one of the first to offer Test matches against the emerging nations.

We need to do that in the November tests more often. Traditionally we play 3 games. Usually 2 Tier 1 teams and a Tier 2 team. 

However last season we arranged a 4th Test at the start against Tonga. We need to do this going forward against a Tier 3 side such as Spain, Chile, Canada, USA or Uruguay. Playing away at a Tier 1 nation in front of their crowd will be hugely beneficial to them... 

26 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Glasgow sign another no.8 for next season.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60848215

Great signing, im just hoping it doesnt mean we are losing Dempsey or Fagerson.

Just to repluy on the 4th test, Chile, Brazil or Uruguay would be good choices for a 4th test. 

I heard that Ryan Wilson is retiring. If that's true that could be the reason. However Danny Wilson talks about creating "strength in depth". Not a phrase associated with replacing players. We'll see... 

4 hours ago, come on shire said:

Spain, Chile, Canada, USA or Uruguay. Playing away at a Tier 1 nation in front of their crowd will be hugely beneficial to them... 

All but Chile are Tire 2 sides (played at the RWC but not in the Six Nations or Rugby Championship)

15 hours ago, come on shire said:

The rumour about Chile... 

Screenshot_20220323_170811_com.android.chrome.jpg

Sounds like there is minimal chance unless we play on the 24th June which is the same weekend as the final of the URC. Either we are planning on failure that one of Glasgow or Edinburgh dont make the final or we are going to send a development 15 of players nort involved to play Chile then a separate squad flying over lataer for the Argentina games. Reading the article the hint at Canada not having any games in JUly makes it sound like we are bound to play again Canada on the way home on the 23rd with a 2nd string team 

18 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just watched England women murder Scotland by 57 - 5. Brutal stuff - no quarter given.

f they could send that England team out to Ukraine they would drive the Russians out of there in no time.

Not going to lie, that's better than I thought it would be

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just watched England women murder Scotland by 57 - 5. Brutal stuff - no quarter given.

f they could send that England team out to Ukraine they would drive the Russians out of there in no time.

Wouldn't read too much into the result, pretty sure England are a full time professional team in the womens game while Scotland aren't so just a bit of a mis-match

Edited by garybs

Edinburgh leading 7-0 at HT. Kinghorn scored a nice try on their only attack. 

Sharks have missed two pens and chose not to take easy points then made errors after the set piece three times. They are smashing Edinburgh up front, Ox and Bongi are ridiculously huge. Bongi is so big that he starts waddling up the touchline for the line out before the penalty has been kicked. 

Cherry, Phillips, Hodgson and Watson the pick for Edinburgh. 

Edited by Detournement