Rugby Union

kiwififer

It is getting reported that Gatland will be the next Lions coach. After he was spotted in Edinburgh in a Lions polo outside the venue for today's announcement

df8f5d6800278eb8f4a31265b2192d8d.jpg

Ugh.....well least our players will be fresh for the season after it. It'll be the usual England / Wales select with 3 token irish players johnny gray and Stuart hogg to be water carriers.

Ugh.....well least our players will be fresh for the season after it. It'll be the usual England / Wales select with 3 token irish players johnny gray and Stuart hogg to be water carriers.

I think Scotland are playing Australia or some of the Pacific Islands sides during the summer? There will be three Scots in the Lions squad one to sit on the bench for every game

If that's the case.. Scotland should pull out of lions. Farce

There's been years when we didn't justify a lot of players being included but the last tour was crazy. Ryan grant for one example was arguably best lh prop in nh that season having torn apart all black n sa opponents and likes of vuinipola n Stevens all called up ahead of him. Scrum coach rowntree subsequently admitted he hadn't even bothered to watch grant playing live. I've little faith we will see a fair selection this time. Gatland very nearly threw away last tour against a pish Australia. Will be much harder this time around.

I'd guess now at gray hogg and a scrum half.

It will be Nel

If that's the case.. Scotland should pull out of lions. Farce

we have went on tour or played friendlies in 2 of the last 3 Lions tours ( a tournament with South Africa, Samoa and Italy last time round. We played Romania and the Ba Bas in 05)

There's been years when we didn't justify a lot of players being included but the last tour was crazy. Ryan grant for one example was arguably best lh prop in nh that season having torn apart all black n sa opponents and likes of vuinipola n Stevens all called up ahead of him. Scrum coach rowntree subsequently admitted he hadn't even bothered to watch grant playing live. I've little faith we will see a fair selection this time. Gatland very nearly threw away last tour against a pish Australia. Will be much harder this time around.

He sat on the bench for the 2nd test and was the only front row player not to get used as the scrum got destroyed

He sat on the bench for the 2nd test and was the only front row player not to get used as the scrum got destroyed

It was shocking stuff. Thought hogg being dicked about at ten was poor too. Just meant he wasn't gonna get a fair cracking at 15. For me right now, dickinson, nel, both grays, strauss, hardie, Russell, horne, Seymour should all be right in the mix. Dunbar, Scott, maitland, visser would be contenders albeit more for squad more than the test xv. I suspect it won't be more than 3 in the whole squad.

I think the problem is there was nobody else. If Schmitt, Cotter and Jones didn't want it then Gatland would appear to be the only choice, and he has won a tour to be fair, although he was exceptionally lucky against a shit team.

I think this will be a big problem for the Scottish boys though. The guys I think have a strong claim for a test spot right now are Nel, Hogg, Seymour, J.Gray, but with each of them having a Welsh counterpart with a reputation, I think there is a chance these guys might not even tour.

59 minutes ago, dogmc said:

It was shocking stuff. Thought hogg being dicked about at ten was poor too. Just meant he wasn't gonna get a fair cracking at 15. For me right now, dickinson, nel, both grays, strauss, hardie, Russell, horne, Seymour should all be right in the mix. Dunbar, Scott, maitland, visser would be contenders albeit more for squad more than the test xv. I suspect it won't be more than 3 in the whole squad.

Hogg getting dicked around at 10 last time was a disgrace. It felt like the only reason for it was so he'd be shite so Gatland could easily justify not giving him a chance.

I know Gatland was successful in 2013 but look at what he has done in more recent times which is really very little.  At last year's WC, he got Wales knocked out by a Southern Hemisphere side (South Africa) in the quarters.  Then in June, he took Wales for a 3 Test tour of New Zealand which was arguably the acid test as a potential Lions manager.  However, they got beat 3-0 and even copped a hiding vs a weakened Chiefs side.

I can't see why they couldn't have recruited from further afield.

Re Scotland they tour Australia in June 2017 which Toony will be managing.  Hoping for a game in Melbourne as I have friends/family there.

Edited by come on shire

Euan Murray on the 2009 tour springs to mind too. Arguably the best tight head prop in world rugby at that time and tamed the Beast during the previous Autumn Internationals. Murray played the midweek before the first test and got crocked, which resulted in the Beast absolutely destroying Phil Vickery.

Euan Murray on the 2009 tour springs to mind too. Arguably the best tight head prop in world rugby at that time and tamed the Beast during the previous Autumn Internationals. Murray played the midweek before the first test and got crocked, which resulted in the Beast absolutely destroying Phil Vickery.

Forgot about that....sure they were planning to start with vickery anyway. It was a colossal doing that he took as well.

Just seen the itinerary on ssn.....can see this tour being a brutal hammering. Gatland hinting it will be more or less same backroom team as before...great. 4 wins out 41 against sh teams and facing arguably best nz side of all time...what could go wrong?

Closer to home Adam Ashe was recovering from foot surgery after getting injured vs Connacht at the end of last season. Now he needs surgery on his hip. That'll be him till after the new year [emoji20]

Poor bugger. Him n grant gilchrist have been horribly unlucky with injuries.

Poor bugger. Him n grant gilchrist have been horribly unlucky with injuries.

Do any of you guys know where Richie Vernon is re playing, he missed the majority of last season and wasn't included in the squad last weekend?