Rugby Union

kiwififer

Sad for Welsh. Scottish had the same fate a over a decade ago and became a more sustainable outfit. 

Talking of packing it in, Craig Joubert has also quit refereeing for a job teaching refs! 

Well that's another irony meter gone.....in other news howley Borthwick n farrell are announced as other lions coaches......farrell......

Tbh. I couldn't give one flying fuk about the Lions. Wish they'd disband it.

Yeah I'm pretty much with you. It's lost the appeal it used to have. It's very much a commercial exercise more about sky n the corporate sponsors than the rugby now. Haven't enjoyed a tour since 97 and the way that scottish players are now routinely frozen out for inferior English or Welsh players doesn't help.

Also I get that it would be a great honour for whoever was selected, however I'd prefer Townsend had access to a full squad for his first tour as Scotland gaffer.

Yep agree.....being token picks on a tour where the Lions are gonna be thumped won't do much for player development especially with such a mediocre coaching team.

Laidlaw surely in with a shout? Ross Ford?

Neither should be in scotland team tbh...ford can't throw or hook n laidlaw whilst a good leader n kicker has a painfully slow pass on him. He was dire against Argentina. Laidlaw might be a dirttracker pick to bring the Scots contingent up to the token 3 or 4 but I wouldn't bet on it.

Seymour could make it. Ford is desperate

So probs, Hogg, Seymour, Nel, J Gray. Hogg the only starter unless injuries, although with saying that, gatland will probably start halfpenny

If it was someone other than gatland I'd be confident for Seymour but it'll more than likely be an English or Welsh winger picked. I also suspect hogg will be warming the bench sadly.

Eta can see nel being overlooked too....He shouldn't be but after the way grant was treated last time out n Murray prior it wouldn't surprise me. The injury time off or some such nonsense is a possible excuse.

If it was someone other than gatland I'd be confident for Seymour but it'll more than likely be an English or Welsh winger picked. I also suspect hogg will be warming the bench sadly.

Eta can see nel being overlooked too....He shouldn't be but after the way grant was treated last time out n Murray prior it wouldn't surprise me. The injury time off or some such nonsense is a possible excuse.

You are probably right.. that's why I canny stand the Lions. Depending on team etc... I can see myself rooting for NZ. Sad but true

You are probably right.. that's why I canny stand the Lions. Depending on team etc... I can see myself rooting for NZ. Sad but true

Am bout same. Used to love the Lions as well. It very nearly died prior to 89 tour, but it re energised itself after the late 70s / early 80s when cronyism had ruled selections . I'm wondering how much enthusiasm there is for it now outside of England n Wales. It's certainly lost its original ethos n has returned to a very biased selection process. If nz really go to town in the tests I wonder what will happen in the future.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Seymour could make it. Ford is desperate
So probs, Hogg, Seymour, Nel, J Gray. Hogg the only starter unless injuries, although with saying that, gatland will probably start halfpenny

I don't rate Halfpenny at all but unfortunately he'll start despite being horrendously overrated.

Got to agree with a few other posters regarding the Lions these days. It's dying on it's arse and I'd rather our guys didn't bother. A guy like Jonny Gray for example is statistically one of the best second rows around right now. Great ball carrier and a colossus in defence. Hasn't missed a tackle in about 700 mins of rugby, yet would anyone honestly be surprised if he missed out on the tour altogether, because a couple of second choice English locks and some off form Welshmen got picked instead?

Hogg as well should be a shoo in at fullback, but who would be surprised to see him get punted about in different positions in the warm up games so Gatland could justify picking Halfpenny instead? Considering the injury potential, and how long it makes the season, it might be a blessing for our guys to be ignored completely rather than get taken and fucked around because they were never going to be considered for starting the tests anyway.

Got to agree with a few other posters regarding the Lions these days. It's dying on it's arse and I'd rather our guys didn't bother. A guy like Jonny Gray for example is statistically one of the best second rows around right now. Great ball carrier and a colossus in defence. Hasn't missed a tackle in about 700 mins of rugby, yet would anyone honestly be surprised if he missed out on the tour altogether, because a couple of second choice English locks and some off form Welshmen got picked instead?

Hogg as well should be a shoo in at fullback, but who would be surprised to see him get punted about in different positions in the warm up games so Gatland could justify picking Halfpenny instead? Considering the injury potential, and how long it makes the season, it might be a blessing for our guys to be ignored completely rather than get taken and fucked around because they were never going to be considered for starting the tests anyway.

Exactly this

Im in 2 minds over the lions, on one hand it would be much better if Townsend had a full squad of players to pick from for this Quadrangular tournie in Aus, but I always remember the interviews from the old Scottish players, who went on Lions tours. Basically you had the media bigging up the english and welsh players so the Scots and Irish always felt inferior, until they went on the Lions tours and realised that they were just as good as anyone else, and the next 5 nations the Scots always did really well as they knew not to fear the English and Welsh so having 7 or 8 players on the tour may be a good thing and would also require blooding a few new players on the scottish summer tour.

But its Gatland picking the team so we will have slim pickings. Even if we were to win the 6 Nations I still dont think we would have many players in the squad as our best players dont suit how Gatland wants to play.

Im in 2 minds over the lions, on one hand it would be much better if Townsend had a full squad of players to pick from for this Quadrangular tournie in Aus, but I always remember the interviews from the old Scottish players, who went on Lions tours. Basically you had the media bigging up the english and welsh players so the Scots and Irish always felt inferior, until they went on the Lions tours and realised that they were just as good as anyone else, and the next 5 nations the Scots always did really well as they knew not to fear the English and Welsh so having 7 or 8 players on the tour may be a good thing and would also require blooding a few new players on the scottish summer tour.

But its Gatland picking the team so we will have slim pickings. Even if we were to win the 6 Nations I still dont think we would have many players in the squad as our best players dont suit how Gatland wants to play.

In summary, gatlands a c**t