Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

2 minutes ago, orfc said:

Al Jazeera the qatari state funded TV station clearing the qatari state funded Hamas? Sounds legit 🙂

Meanwhile...

You frame your every comment on here as a gotcha on the person you're replying to. You need to realise that you're far, far too stupid to do that. 

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Doesn't matter. Israel will say it's Hamas and all those supporting Israel will believe it because they want to believe it. Hamas will say it's Israel and all those supporting Hamas will believe it because they want to believe it.

I think so and we'll only find out definitively months after the current war has ended. 

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Had a quick look back when I read your post and found this. I was no fan of Ron Paul but he's spot on here. From 2009 I think.

To be fair, this is the same man who used to write anti-Semitic pamphlets and posted such gems as this:

IMG_2547.thumb.png.fc6be97e04d5770873835bcd1ca39435.png

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I mistakenly selected back to the first page of this thread instead of 'previous' and on reading a lot of the posts there from 2008 it's obvious that f**k all has changed, never mind for the better, in the 15 years since.

It's a deadly and depressing situation but what gives me a glimmer of hope is that at my age I've seen seemingly intractable issues eventually alter - Vietnam, the Berlin Wall and (relative) peace in Northern Ireland being the obvious examples.

For the Israel/Palestine war to end though, a starting point must be an end to the unqualified support of Israel routinely parroted by the US, the UK and others, and the eventual establishment of a just settlement in the region.  It would be interesting to gauge Israeli public opinion on that, as opposed to their Government's narrative.  And all of it accompanied by the laying down of Palestinian arms.

If only it were that easy.

I recall talking to some Americans who say that American Jews are often embarrassed by what Israel does but it is Evangelical Christians who support Israel more because some book says the Jews should be there and if some "not-chosen ones" come to harm then that is unfortunate but maybe part of the master plan.

The same book has no mention of Vietnam, Berlin or Northern Ireland.

If there was any truth in this then it might explain why nobody is rushing to solve the situation.

21 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

To be fair, this is the same man who used to write anti-Semitic pamphlets and posted such gems as this:

IMG_2547.thumb.png.fc6be97e04d5770873835bcd1ca39435.png

Nobody is wrong 100% of their lives, I think he went properly deranged when Glen Greenwald started working for him. 

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I recall talking to some Americans who say that American Jews are often embarrassed by what Israel does but it is Evangelical Christians who support Israel more because some book says the Jews should be there and if some "not-chosen ones" come to harm then that is unfortunate but maybe part of the master plan.

If there was any truth in this then it might explain why nobody is rushing to solve the situation.

They're betting on Armageddon kicking off in Israel and they'll be wafted off to heaven while all the Jews, Muslims and Liberals burn in God's wrath. 

I guess the responsibility for the hospital rocket/missile has sucked all the attention and energy away from the actual indiscriminate bombing and ongoing targeting of civilians, so great job all round tbh.

20 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Don’t the Evangelical Christians believe that Jews and their homeland is integral to the rapture?

13 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Israel are b*****ds. They are bombing the West Bank and other civilians, they are not targeting Hamas. This is not the same as calling Jewish people b*****ds. It's also not an excuse for Hamas to carry out what they did. Ram your anti-semetic pish up your arse along with your "downvote me coz am an edgelord c**t" pish. 

Sorry to correct you but it is the Israeli government who are the b*****ds.

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Ehhh, about half of all Israelis didn't vote for Netanyahu or his allies. Not sure what you expect them to do tbh.

I’m not just talking about the current government. Palestinians have faced similar treatment long before Netanyahu was elected. Those protests earlier this year were about Israelis losing political rights. I can’t recall any protests of a similar size about Palestinians having less human rights than Israelis.

As for what Israelis could do, they could do a lot more to put pressure on the government when it comes to the treatment of Palestinians. They could take actions such as refusing to do military service en masse or boycott goods made in the West Bank settlements. 

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Sorry to correct you but it is the Israeli government who are the b*****ds.

Someone else picked up on that too yet surely now is not the time for policing folk on it as Israelis are not suffering under collective punishment. Instead they're enjoying collective solidarity. The most powerful man in the world just hugged their prime minister Netanyahu, well he's supposedly the worst of the lot yet he's getting hugs. Our taxes have paid for our PM to be over there just now doing similar. USA just vetoed a UN resolution to allow greater humanitarian aid into Gaza and UK abstained on the vote.

Little of this reflexive defensiveness is apparent when the Palestinians are discussed.  Al-Qassam Brigades become Hamas who become Gazans who become Palestinians. It all elides into one, no scolding happens over failures to differentiate there, and these folk in the ghetto get collectively punished. Deprived of drinking water, sanitation, electricity, food, and bombed. Lives lost, homes destroyed, communities ripped apart and any fledgling prosperity wiped out yet again.