Anti-Virus Software

Mik

Anyone have any recommendations of security software? It's been a while since i've really used any paid-for as i've used a lot of free ones in the past. However, i've had a bit aof a breach lately and don't really feel comfortable anymore. Swarming around some of the usual suspects;

McAfee

Norton

BitDefender

Zone Alarm

Kaspersky

AVG/Avast etc...

I'm really tempted by Bitdefender. They seem to get some high-praise from PC Mag.

So, what do you use and what would you recommend?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avast Free. Does the job nicely, and blocks a lot of shit from dodgy websites. Can't say I care about all the add-ons; haven't had a security scare since that 'Happy New Year' trojan of 1999 that would display a wee fireworks display while attaching itself to all your outgoing emails :angry:

I used to use AVG until it stopped being free; it did the job just as well. Norton turned into a nightmare that tried to take over your whole computer about 15 years ago, which put me right off it - I think it's become less Orwellian since then. Tried McAfee back then too, which seemed OK, but wasn't a patch on the Dr Solomon program that they killed off :angry:

None of which compare to Ultimate Virus Killer on the Atari ST, which killed 100% of viruses stone dead, and repaired game disks that had been damaged by virus infection :thumsup2

Currently use Mcafee as it was free with my laptop but will be binning it as the firewall is causing internet problems. Seems to be a fairly common problem with no concrete fix which is enough for me to go elsewhere once my free trial is up.

Norton - used to be far too processor intensive and as has been mentioned took over half your computer. It would take a lot of decent reviews for me to ever consider going back.

Microsoft Security Essentials - at one point had a decent reputation but recent reviews suggest its no longer fit for purpose. i think this is because Windows Defender is now Microsoft's virus/firewall solution from Windows 7 onwards.

Avast - hated the daft voice and it eventually caused slow startup with black screen/mouse pointer on my old Vista laptop so it was binned. `

I use Malware Bytes and Super antispyware which both work well for, well, malware.

Avast - hated the daft voice and it eventually caused slow startup with black screen/mouse pointer on my old Vista laptop so it was binned. `

This one? :P

(skip to 4:44 to avoid the video guy's annoying voice)

I completely forgot about Sophos too - used to use it on an old Windows 2003 server before it died, as most of the popular anti-virus programs don't/didn't work on server versions of Windows. Can't say I ever got a virus, but that's not saying much. It required you to write a batch file to check for, and install updates too, which I wasn't mad keen on; that's what you'd expect back in the twentieth century.

• 1 month later...

Having been "forced" to reinstall W7 after downgrading from 10 I decided to look for a new AV too

I've gone with Bit Defender. It isnt free but so far it looks really good. Nice easy interface and unobtrusive. And, with the family license, I can install on as many devices as I want and set up things like parental control and control each PCs settings remotely

Archived