Pregnancy And Parenting

Lm were all of your subsequent baby c-sections? My last birth although induced was text book and I was pretty laid back so laboured well. I think in my own surroundings I'll labour better again. Also saves the worry of who's babysitting as i have a limited pool of people I'd leave my second with!

Ashley was a VBAC, but (and I'll try and spare the rest of you too much detail) it was that awful that I was told there and then not to do it again! I did ask with Harry what the chances were of another VBAC, but once they laid the risks out to me, I decided against it. I'm still really disappointed that I was able to do it "properly", but in my circumstances, it really wasn't safe enough for me to try. What I missed most, believe it or not, was labour and having the excitement of waiting for it all to happen naturally. I know anyone who's gone overdue probably thinks that's a bit mad, but I really would have liked that.

I think i worry more as my wife is diabetic and has rh- factor, and she never had the anti-d jab after our first as this was around the time of the issue of contaminated blood products, so subsequent pregnancies have always been closely monitored,

Currently she's getting 2 weekly scans which will go to weekly at 26 weeks to check a brain artery in the baby to check the blood flow is ok, and MC doppler scan.

She gets a shed load of blood taken at each clinic visit too, to check the antibody levels and that they dont start to crossover to the baby, and if this happens the only treatment is an in womb transfusion so it's quite stressful to say the least,

Also, Crosshouse maternity seem to have cut back on staff so every appointment turns into a bloody marathon day,

they give you an appointment for 1pm and you dont end up getting out till near bloody 6 o'clock!!!

I think with issues like that, I'd be bloody worried as well! In a straightforward pregnancy though, risks aren't all that great. A delivery pack is sent to the house a couple of weeks before the baby is due, so most things are actually to hand should they be needed.

As for staffing, it's one of my biggest annoyances. Maternity services seem to be struggling to cope with numbers (in my experience, but then I only seem to have babies during particularly busy times!), but staffing levels and funding for training new staff is being cut all the time due to a drop in birth rate, apparently! This only applies in Scotland though. From what I gather in England, birth rate is increasing where staff levels aren't.

I think with issues like that, I'd be bloody worried as well! In a straightforward pregnancy though, risks aren't all that great. A delivery pack is sent to the house a couple of weeks before the baby is due, so most things are actually to hand should they be needed.

As for staffing, it's one of my biggest annoyances. Maternity services seem to be struggling to cope with numbers (in my experience, but then I only seem to have babies during particularly busy times!), but staffing levels and funding for training new staff is being cut all the time due to a drop in birth rate, apparently! This only applies in Scotland though. From what I gather in England, birth rate is increasing where staff levels aren't.

As far as staffing levels go, it was no where near as bad with our youngest, who's just turned 1, there seemed to be plenty of midwives and auxiliary staff around then, but this time in the same department, it honestly looks like they have halved the number of staff, it seems quite ridiculous as it's been very busy each time we've been so far this time, though that could be due to the staff cutbacks?!!

Re homebirth. I wish I'd done it last time. I honestly think the problems I had were caused by being in hospital. I laboured for about 5 hours at home before going into hospital and was 8cm dilated with no pain relief by the time we arrived. Then it all went tits up and I ended up with an instrumental delivery which has caused problems resulting in the boy suffering a neck injury (which was not sorted until 4 months as it was assumed his chronic screaming was caused by colic) and for me needing a caesarian for any future births. I can't say for sure that things would have been ok, obviously, but maybe things would have ended better. Kind of ruined the first 4 months of his life for me (I was in a lot of pain, he was in a lot of pain etc).

Must admit in ninewells ( one of the biggest in scotland, possibly europe?) we have had plenty midwifes when both times in. Either we have been lucky both times or there doing alright. Maternity ward in ninewells hospital is excellent

We had a brief time in the ninewells maternity ward a couple of weeks before josh was born, I thought, in comparison to perth, it was pretty horrible. the midwives were really nice but the actual ward wasn't.

Cheers G_Man.

It feels good to have him and Mrs MB home now. This is his first night in the house so I'd better get to bed now and try to get some kip!

Well, that didn't work out very well. The little bugger gurned all night and consequently Mrs MB and I got virtually no sleep. I'll cut him some slack as he's not yet three days old! How did we manage the first time around?!

20 week scan tomorrow. Can't wait to see the wee yin again tomorrow.

Only thing is, Mrs The_Craig is determined she's going to find out the baby's sex but I want it to be a surprise.

Tbf, it's the only thing we've fought about. Nausea has settled and she's developed a love of Curries Red Cola. I bought her Barrs Red Cola once...ONCE!!!

We had a brief time in the ninewells maternity ward a couple of weeks before josh was born, I thought, in comparison to perth, it was pretty horrible. the midwives were really nice but the actual ward wasn't.

What's the Perth unit like DHD? That's where we'll hopefully be.