Pregnancy And Parenting

I started labour at about 6am in the morning,got to the hospital at about 10am,and didn't have my daughter untill 11.30pm that night.

It was a horrid experiance for me,but I know it's not the same for everyone.

When my mum had me she was in labour for 2 days. I hope, for my girlfriend's sake, that this one won't take after me :lol:

Baby will come along when he/she feels like it. Only advice I would give to your girlfriend is to sleep as much as possible in the run up. I went into labour at midnight - luckily it only lasted 12 hours, but I was knackered as I'd been up since 7am the morning before. Then you don't get much sleep on the ward. Then you don't get any sleep at home...

Yes. Sleep as much as possible,

Baby will come along when he/she feels like it. Only advice I would give to your girlfriend is to sleep as much as possible in the run up. I went into labour at midnight - luckily it only lasted 12 hours, but I was knackered as I'd been up since 7am the morning before. Then you don't get much sleep on the ward. Then you don't get any sleep at home...

When my son was born my ex said she needed a shite,The midwife looked down and said no you don't baby is here.She had been in labour for 21 minutes. :o

Indeed. She's trying, it's easier said than done though, struggles to get to sleep, then struggles to stay asleep. We'll have to get used to functioning on little sleep I suppose.

:lol: My first was 24 hours, my second was closer to 30. Bizarrely, I'd rather repeat either of those than the elective section I had with the third!

Labour is as bad as it gets. IMHO. Though it does differ from person to person.

I would have given anaything to have been given the choice of a natural birth or a sunroof birth.

Indeed. She's trying, it's easier said than done though, struggles to get to sleep, then struggles to stay asleep. We'll have to get used to functioning on little sleep I suppose.

It's a pain in the arse trying to get even remotely comfortable when you've a big bump to hurl over as well. Has she got plenty of pillows? I needed one to rest my bump on and a couple to put between my knees because my hips were knackered as well. Also, I needed a couple to prop my top half up because of heartburn and lying flat being so damn uncomfortable. It was like building a nest to sleep in!

Labour is as bad as it gets. IMHO. Though it does differ from person to person.

I would have given anaything to have been given the choice of a natural birth or a sunroof birth.

I had back labour with my first (he was facing forward instead of backwards), which was bloody agony, even in the early stages. The epidural was useless, gas and air made me sick but the pethidine was lovely stuff. Then again, some people just breeze through it all. I wish I was one of them.

I was quite glad that I needed the elective section with Charlie, right up until the point he was born when I wished I could have done it "properly". There's something strange about it in that it makes you feel like you're missing out on the experience of labour. I'm not planning on any more, but if I were, I'd be tempted to ask about going through the whole shebang again.

I remember bursting into tears shortly after my son came home through lack of sleep and frustration and not getting him down for hours.

Good luck. :lol:

I remember bursting into tears shortly after my son came home through lack of sleep and frustration and not getting him down for hours.

Good luck. :lol:

Yep, it can be brutal in the first few weeks.

You get used to it, and it's all worth it in the end.

It's a pain in the arse trying to get even remotely comfortable when you've a big bump to hurl over as well. Has she got plenty of pillows? I needed one to rest my bump on and a couple to put between my knees because my hips were knackered as well. Also, I needed a couple to prop my top half up because of heartburn and lying flat being so damn uncomfortable. It was like building a nest to sleep in!

I had back labour with my first (he was facing forward instead of backwards), which was bloody agony, even in the early stages. The epidural was useless, gas and air made me sick but the pethidine was lovely stuff. Then again, some people just breeze through it all. I wish I was one of them.

I was quite glad that I needed the elective section with Charlie, right up until the point he was born when I wished I could have done it "properly". There's something strange about it in that it makes you feel like you're missing out on the experience of labour. I'm not planning on any more, but if I were, I'd be tempted to ask about going through the whole shebang again.

Even pillows don't seem to help much, she got given a big sausage pillow thing from my next door neighbour, I think she's used it once.

I'm quite looking forward to having more room in the bed :lol:

I was the same with my first,she was facing backwards,and I was in agony all the way through,I had the epidural,that didn't work and I was given nothing but gas and air,wich did nothing for me.

That is why I would have rather gone through a sunroof birth instead. My Mum had two C Sections back in ther 70's,as she is a very small woman and couldn't have gone though labour. (though I think that was the norm back then?.)

Even pillows don't seem to help much, she got given a big sausage pillow thing from my next door neighbour, I think she's used it once.

I'm quite looking forward to having more room in the bed :lol:

I never tried the sausage pillows, but the wedge ones, V ones and just normal ones were great because they're smaller and can be stuck in where they're needed for cushioning or support. I don't think I ever got truly comfortable in the last stages of any of my pregnancies, but all the extra support did help. She has my sympathy! I'd suggest trying to remember that it's just a few more weeks discomfort for a lifetime of a child's love, but mentioning to her may result in a non-conventional use for that sausage pillow that may give you an idea of just how uncomfortable she is. These people that say "Oh, it'll fly by" need reminded that it only flies by once it's actually flown!

I was the same with my first,she was facing backwards,and I was in agony all the way through,I had the epidural,that didn't work and I was given nothing but gas and air,wich did nothing for me.

That is why I would have rather gone through a sunroof birth instead. My Mum had two C Sections back in ther 70's,as she is a very small woman and couldn't have gone though labour. (though I think that was the norm back then?.)

It did used to be that once you'd had one section, you would have elective sections thereafter, but depending on personal circumstances and the reasons for your first section, they'll often encourage you to deliver normally with your next. They did with me anyway. Then changed their minds after and told me not to try it again. :lol:

I never tried the sausage pillows, but the wedge ones, V ones and just normal ones were great because they're smaller and can be stuck in where they're needed for cushioning or support. I don't think I ever got truly comfortable in the last stages of any of my pregnancies, but all the extra support did help. She has my sympathy! I'd suggest trying to remember that it's just a few more weeks discomfort for a lifetime of a child's love, but mentioning to her may result in a non-conventional use for that sausage pillow that may give you an idea of just how uncomfortable she is. These people that say "Oh, it'll fly by" need reminded that it only flies by once it's actually flown!

I remember only being comfy laying on my tummy when I was in the final stages,and only then did the baby stop moving around so much at night.

Also when I was in labour being on all fours was the only relife I had from the pain,as the bay had fallen forward in the womb,I didn't give birth this way as the Dr said I had to get flat on my back to give birth,wich was painfull to say the least. :angry:

It did used to be that once you'd had one section, you would have elective sections thereafter, but depending on personal circumstances and the reasons for your first section, they'll often encourage you to deliver normally with your next. They did with me anyway. Then changed their minds after and told me not to try it again. :lol:

Something about the scar ripping with a natural birth. :blink:

My Mum had a running stitch with her C section and it got infected so when they pulled the stiches out it hurt like hell,and split open. :ph34r:

Something about the scar ripping with a natural birth. :blink:

My Mum had a running stitch with her C section and it got infected so when they pulled the stiches out it hurt like hell,and split open. :ph34r:

Yeah, they call it a TOS or a VBAC (trial of scar or vaginal birth after caesarean. Apologies if you're eating your dinner reading this :lol: ) and they monitor you closely throughout labour because of it. Bugger all chance of getting comfortable because you spend your labour stuck on the bed!

Yeah, they call it a TOS or a VBAC (trial of scar or vaginal birth after caesarean. Apologies if you're eating your dinner reading this :lol: ) and they monitor you closely throughout labour because of it. Bugger all chance of getting comfortable because you spend your labour stuck on the bed!

It's fine I already heard the details from my Mum when I was in labour.....Not the best time to hear about these things. :lol:

My Mum only had C sections because she is only 4ft 11" tall. I think myself and my Mum are the only two that are quite small in our family. :ph34r: