Pregnancy And Parenting

Just you wait - Cal refuses to sit in his buggy anymore (he's 21 months next week) - we took the dog for a walk today and he walked the whole way - about 2 miles. It's daft, but the good thing is, he sleeps ALL night. :) He was walking at 10 months and he's nae happy unless he's running about outside or at the park.

Ruairidh hasn't really used a buggy since the snow but we have the tandem out now and he happily goes in it and chats away to Niamh!

Thanks! It wasn't announced as such - neither of us have made a post declaring it or anything - but we've kind of mentioned it briefly in other threads. I'm 17 weeks now, due 28th Sept.

My birthday :lol::D

Thanks! It wasn't announced as such - neither of us have made a post declaring it or anything - but we've kind of mentioned it briefly in other threads. I'm 17 weeks now, due 28th Sept.

I saw you make a post last week about potential names for "the next one" but presumed it a general "when one comes along" remark rather than actual info.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

!

An odd thing for a non-Queens supporting couple to receive for a daughter surely. Though of course to be greatly encouraged. :D;)

My Dad was down at Palmerston for the schoolboys international the week before or thereabouts I was due and mentioned to Dave Ray that he hoped that I didn't go into labour until after the game! He then kindly gave dad the aforementioned gift to be passed on when baby did arrive. Which was very kind of him. :) And so long as it isn't the Old Firm my kids can support anyone they like!

Niamh weight dropped on Wednesday and my supply of milk did too, despite feeding marathons lots of tears later she's now on the bottle. Exactly the same happened at the same time with Ruairidh but I persisted longer with him. Just awaiting the midwife to weigh her again, she was static at 6lb 8 (7lb 11 at birth) on Friday so hoping shes gained a bit now. Been a hard and heartbreaking week.

Hi gang - wonder if you would be able to help me out... how often should you bath a child? One is 6 months the other is 20 months. (Not my kids btw - just a friend who is unsure).

As often as you like. As long as they're having a good wash around all the important bits every day, there's not much need to actually bathe them daily, unless they really enjoy it. For mine, it's part of the bedtime ritual and I find the routine helps him settle down easier because he knows what's coming. He's coming up for 2 and a half now. There have been evenings when he's had a late night if we've been out or something, and we'll skip the bath then, but I wouldn't do that regularly. My personal opinion is when they're in nappies, it's quite nice to give them a bath daily so their bottoms get a proper wash and airing every day. I don't know if it's just me that thinks this, but bottle fed babies smell a bit more "milky" than breastfed babies, and a bath helps with that too. Some kids really hate the bath though and don't enjoy it at all. Every other day should be plenty in that case.

Thanks Mrs M.

My sister baths her two every night and I was just wondering if it was a bit OTT it's not like they sweat or anything but maybe as you say it is just bedtime ritual etc.

Anyway hopefully a couple of years away from needing to frequent this part of the forum but good luck to all new and impending parents.

Thanks Mrs M.

My sister baths her two every night and I was just wondering if it was a bit OTT it's not like they sweat or anything but maybe as you say it is just bedtime ritual etc.

I've worked in hospitals where I've seen it done with elderly patients just to settle them down for the night. It works for all ages! :lol:

Thanks Mrs M.

Anyway hopefully a couple of years away from needing to frequent this part of the forum but good luck to all new and impending parents.

Ours are bathed every night also. I don't really see the absolute need for it but the wife thinks they should be so that's that! As it happens they both absolutely love the bath anyway. They are desperate to get in and not happy when made to get out.

Bathtime is my part of the routine. I take them away to bath them whilst Maureen gets 20 minutes peace! Hence I have to be home from work by 6:30 at latest this last two years.

My baby has had three dunks in the sink, mainly when she's pee'd without nappy on. Ruairidh goes in every other night unless he's particularly manky. I find it winds him up rather than calming :lol: Swim mummy swim! Splash mummy splash!

I pretty much agree with the above posters, but the official advice for the first few months is once every two or three days. We've bathed our baby every day from about 3 months.

Yup i can vouch for this. My son loves the bath but trying to get him out he is always unhappy coming out but its part of our routine and it works perfect.

When does one try potty training? I usually can tell when kyle is having a poo but thinking just to wait a we bit longer then try.

It's not so much when you can tell he's going that you need to look at, it's more his awareness of what he's doing when he pees or poos. A poo requires some effort on his behalf, but peeing at a small age is an involuntary thing. Babies don't exercise any control over it. When he stops in the middle of playing to pee and then carries on again, it's a good sign that he's learned some bladder control and it might be an idea to introduce him to a potty or toilet seat then. It's not really a bad idea to have one around anyway so that's not a "strange" object when he comes to use it. Now, I don't know what you think of the idea, but him seeing you using the toilet isn't a bad thing. That way he learns what it's for and how to do it and it's not strange to him, he's just copying Daddy. A child's book about using a potty to read to him can't hurt either.

A potty he likes to wear as a hat so far when i introduced it last week to him and yes he has seen me pee a few times, just make sure he dosnt come to close. Possibly give this a bash soon we a potty as i see signs of when he is away to poo its just being quick enough to introduce potty or be even near him if he is thinking about it. The face is always the key for him n his little crouch

:lol: I think all kids stick a potty on their head when they first see one! You're obviously aware of what happens if he stands too close to your when you're peeing as well. I do think that if it's just a poo that you're noticing, he may not be quite ready yet. As I say, poo requires him to make some effort, so you will notice when he's doing it. It's more his bladder control that you need to be aware of. When he's actively concentrating on trying to pee, he's gained control of those muscles in his bladder and will come to realise that he needs to go. Once he's learned what that means, you'll find it much easier to introduce using the potty.

With my eldest, when he started standing still and peeing, I had a free week where I'd get him up in the morning and just put pants on him. When he stood still or started to pee, I'd put him on the potty so that he'd start to learn the association. By day three, he never wore nappies at home again and by the end of the week, I could take him out without nappies as well.

I pretty much agree with the above posters, but the official advice for the first few months is once every two or three days. We've bathed our baby every day from about 3 months.

"official advice"? We were told to do what we were comfortable with. That there was no need to bath every night but it certainly wouldn't do any harm either as long as they weren't in too long in the early weeks.

When does one try potty training? I usually can tell when kyle is having a poo but thinking just to wait a we bit longer then try.

We're starting Thomas now with so far absolutely no success. He's 26 months now. My wife knows of a boy born the week before him who is fully potty trained so reckons it's time. I don't think he'll pick it up quickly though.

"official advice"? We were told to do what we were comfortable with. That there was no need to bath every night but it certainly wouldn't do any harm either as long as they weren't in too long in the early weeks.

That's what we were told and we were told that was the official advice - presumably from the NHS. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if different parents are getting different advice though. As you say, I don't think bathing a baby daily from birth is going to be a problem, so long as it's done sensibly.

I think with potty training you really have to wait until they are ready otherwise it just ends in tears on both sides (from my vast experience of course... :rolleyes: ). That's certainly the advice I've been given. If you wait until they're properly ready, they practically do it themselves.

post-909-0-10722800-1303851115_thumb.jpg

Had a scan on Saturday and everything is going smoothly so far. Having a bit of trouble with midwives so far and as a result our 12 week scan won't be until we're closer to 15 weeks plus so for peace of mind we went private for a dating scan. 2 arms 2 legs and a strong heartbeat :D

Edited to add : The wife had the scan, not me obviously :lol:

post-6361-0-24987000-1303851375_thumb.jp

Edited by Adolfo Rios