Pregnancy And Parenting

12 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My mum works in a school so I use her and just give her money to cover costs of extra food etc. Ruggy and I have also taken different weeks off to give my mum a break plus I work part time so she only has them 3 days a week. I know we are very lucky.

Our out of school club is about £50 a day for 2 children. 

We've had 5 of the grandchildren for over a week, due to 1/ one mother being hospitalised and currently recuperating and 2/ giving the other mother a break from her youngest 2 which has been extended a bit due to her putting her back out (work related).

We usually just have them at weekends and only have 5 of them every fortnight. if that.

22 hours ago, ICTChris said:

New report indicates that childcare costs during summer holidays have increased, with a survey finding the average cost is nearly £1000.

We are very fortunate as my wife is a teacher so will have all school holidays off and our son's nursery has a scheme where your fees for the year cover the summer holidays as well if you need to put your children in.

How are P&Bers covering childcare during the summer?

Sacked off work until next April.

Listened to The Jeremy Whine Show on Radio 2 yesterday where one of the topics was loosely "Are dogs more highly thought than children in the UK?".

Some of the callers and contributors were absolutely wild with their takes. Things like, "Dogs should have more right to be in shops/restaurants because they behave better than children. Kids run around and shout." Of course they do. They're kids ya moron!

There were also points about places having free dog biscuits etc but wouldn't think of laying anything on free for children.

I love dogs but couldn't believe what I was hearing.

7 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Listened to The Jeremy Whine Show on Radio 2 yesterday where one of the topics was loosely "Are dogs more highly thought than children in the UK?".

Some of the callers and contributors were absolutely wild with their takes. Things like, "Dogs should have more right to be in shops/restaurants because they behave better than children. Kids run around and shout." Of course they do. They're kids ya moron!

There were also points about places having free dog biscuits etc but wouldn't think of laying anything on free for children.

I love dogs but couldn't believe what I was hearing.

We were in a relatively nice restaurant at Christmas and these two ankle biter size dogs came in with owner.

Now, I love Shug and Shadow, but the last thing I want when I'm in a nice restaurant is some mawkit dug in too. 

Yesterday we had lunch at picnic tables outside a cafe after a walk which had water bowls for dogs out.

Also several places like Asda and Morrisons are doing buy adult meal get free kids one over the holidays.

I'd love to witness the carriage of a labradour in Asda........with those demanding more doggy rights having to buy anything slobbered on.

14 minutes ago, RH33 said:

We were in a relatively nice restaurant at Christmas and these two ankle biter size dogs came in with owner.

Now, I love Shug and Shadow, but the last thing I want when I'm in a nice restaurant is some mawkit dug in too. 

Yesterday we had lunch at picnic tables outside a cafe after a walk which had water bowls for dogs out.

Also several places like Asda and Morrisons are doing buy adult meal get free kids one over the holidays.

I'd love to witness the carriage of a labradour in Asda........with those demanding more doggy rights having to buy anything slobbered on.

Over here dogs are allowed almost everywhere. At a big indoor shopping centre on Sunday and we must have seen aye, over 100 dogs. There was one who we saw and heard barking with the owner doing nothing about it. For me, they should be ok to get in to those kind of places as long as they're quiet and not bothering people. 

There were people on saying that dogs don't answer back, unlike teenagers who always do. That's because they possess the power of language and are young adults.

47 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Over here dogs are allowed almost everywhere. At a big indoor shopping centre on Sunday and we must have seen aye, over 100 dogs. There was one who we saw and heard barking with the owner doing nothing about it. For me, they should be ok to get in to those kind of places as long as they're quiet and not bothering people. 

There were people on saying that dogs don't answer back, unlike teenagers who always do. That's because they possess the power of language and are young adults.

Silverburn allowed it recently but it was ditched fairly quickly.

https://www.shopsilverburn.com/dog-friendly/

On 18/07/2023 at 13:08, ICTChris said:

New report indicates that childcare costs during summer holidays have increased, with a survey finding the average cost is nearly £1000.

We are very fortunate as my wife is a teacher so will have all school holidays off and our son's nursery has a scheme where your fees for the year cover the summer holidays as well if you need to put your children in.

How are P&Bers covering childcare during the summer?

We’re fortunate that my wife works term time, so we don’t have to shell out a fortune each summer.

I’m not sure how fortunate she feels by the end of the work week when she’s had the 3 of them nipping her head all week, though. 

Youngest is now 6 months old and given the all clear yesterday to start trying solids, it's funny that when our first born started solids, we'd be sitting on the edge of our seats, ready to jump up and perform the heimlich maneuver at the first sign of choking. Now with our youngest, it's just "you alright? Good"  

Meanwhile our almost 3 year old has turned into a wee shite at times, won't stay quiet when sister is sleeping, does stuff anyway when we tell her no. I understand not being an only child anymore must still be a big adjustment for her, but I really miss the sweet wee little girl she used to be. Fingers crossed it's just the "terrible twos" and she'll grow out of it

SkyePie.jpg

59 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Youngest is now 6 months old and given the all clear yesterday to start trying solids, it's funny that when our first born started solids, we'd be sitting on the edge of our seats, ready to jump up and perform the heimlich maneuver at the first sign of choking. Now with our youngest, it's just "you alright? Good"  

Meanwhile our almost 3 year old has turned into a wee shite at times, won't stay quiet when sister is sleeping, does stuff anyway when we tell her no. I understand not being an only child anymore must still be a big adjustment for her, but I really miss the sweet wee little girl she used to be. Fingers crossed it's just the "terrible twos" and she'll grow out of it

Wait till she's 14...

3 hours ago, Torpar said:

SkyePie.jpg

Very similar situation to you right now, maybe just a month or so behind. Can definitely empathise with the terrible two's (approaching 3)

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2018 at 22:36, Rugster said:

Well. That was a bit of a day. After HSF's waters breaking two weeks ago she felt cramping this morning about 11am. Called hospital told to go in at 3pm. Baby boy born at 4.34pm weighing 2lbs 15ozs. From being wheeled into labour ward to him being born was about 20 minutes. Breathing on his own which is a good sign. He's in SCBU just now for up to 10 weeks so we're at the start of a long fight to get him fit enough to come home. Been an emotional last 14 weeks as it was with HSF pretty much couch bound in pain but now we've hopefully turned a corner on that front and we can concentrate on the wee man and his daily fight to get to full health. Hospital have been amazing. Thank f**k for the NHS. HSF been an absolute trooper and couldn't be more proud of her. Home now for some sleep and back in tomorrow to see her and the wee man. 

5 years later and he's going to school on Tuesday 😭

Is, or was, the bar for being a "Good dad" ridiculously low?

The amount of times I've heard from people "You're such a good dad" when all I'm doing is walking around with one or both of my kids. Or I'll take my kid(s) to a doctor's appointment or the supermarket, "oh giving mom a break eh?" How shite were fathers in the past, that just actually being a dad to your kids is considered expectational parenting!  

50 minutes ago, Torpar said:

The amount of times I've heard from people "You're such a good dad" when all I'm doing is walking around with one or both of my kids. Or I'll take my kid(s) to a doctor's appointment or the supermarket, "oh giving mom a break eh?" How shite were fathers in the past, that just actually being a dad to your kids is considered expectational parenting!  

"Aw is dad babysitting"

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

I’m finding it a little sexist just how unfathomable people find my being the one on parental leave and Mrs Mathematics back at work.

17 hours ago, mathematics said:

I’m finding it a little sexist just how unfathomable people find my being the one on parental leave and Mrs Mathematics back at work.

I guess most still assume that men earn more than women (which is generally true) so are surprised when the man stays at home. 

Been speaking to my wife about getting guardianship of my step daughter. Closest I can get to her short of adoption. I was wondering if anyone has done this before? 

I'm really just trying to find out how much it'll cost me for a solicitor and court fees etc.