The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

The WWE don't have to grant the release though. They could 'Neville' them the rest of their contracts.

Seemingly Mike and Maria Kanellis asked for their release as well. Had totally forgotten they were a thing. They were dead on arrival with that awful 'Power of love' gimmick.

Sitting on this ballot for the DAVE/WON Awards

“CATEGORY A" AWARDS. PICK A FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD PLACE FINISHER IN EACH CATEGORY. POINTS WILL BE AWARDED ON A 5-3-2 BASIS. THE WINNER OF THE AWARD IS DETERMINED BY TOTAL POINTS.

LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD
1. Hiroshi Tanahashi 2. Ronda Rousey 3. Kenny Omega

MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER
1. Khabib Nurmagomedov 2. Amanda Nunes 3. Daniel Cormier 

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER
1. Hiroshi Tanahashi 2. Tomohiro Ishii 3. Daniel Bryan

MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER
1. Daniel Cormier 2. Amanda Nunes 3. Khabib Nurmagomedov

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR
1. Violent Giants (Shuji & Suwama) 2. Strong BJ (Sekimoto & Okabayashi) 3. EVIL & SANADA 

BEST ON INTERVIEWS
1. Christopher Daniels 2. Daniel Bryan 3. MJF

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR
1. New Japan Pro Wrestling 2. All Japan Pro Wrestling 3. RIZIN

PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR
1. Omega vs. Ishii, Osaka, Aug 4th 2. Omega vs. Okada, Osaka, Jun 9th 3. Sugiura vs. Nakajima, Tokyo Oct 4th

MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR
1. Dustin Poitier vs. Justin Gaethje 2. Douglas Lima vs. Rory MacDonald 3. Robert Whittaker vs Yoel Romero

"CATEGORY B" AWARDS. PICK ONE IN EACH CATEGORY. WINNER CHOSEN ON THE BASIS OF FIRST PLACE VOTES.

UNITED STATES/CANADA PRO WRESTLING MVP Kenny Omega
JAPAN MVP Hiroshi Tanahashi
MEXICO MVP LA Park
EUROPEAN MVP WALTER
NON-HEAVYWEIGHT MVP Taiji Ishimori
WOMAN WRESTLING MVP Kairi Sane
WOMAN MMA MVP Amanda Nunes
BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW LA Park
FEUD OF THE YEAR LA Park vs. Rush
MOST IMPROVED Jay White
MOST CHARISMATIC Rush
BRYAN DANIELSON BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER AWARD KUSHIDA
BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL BEST BRAWLER AWARD Tomohiro Ishii
BEST FLYING WRESTLER Kota Ibushi
MOST OVERRATED Seth Rollins
MOST UNDERRATED Hideo Itami
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR Yuya Uemura
BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER Tirantes
BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER Nigel McGuinness
WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER Michael Cole
BEST MAJOR SHOW NJPW Dominion 6.9
WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR WWE Crown Jewel
BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER High Fly Flow
MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC WWE partner with Saudi Arabia
WORST TELEVISION SHOW WWE Raw
WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR Brothers Of Destruction vs. D-Generation-X
WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR Natalya vs. Ruby Riott
WORST PROMOTION WWE
BEST BOOKER Gedo
PROMOTER OF THE YEAR Takaaki Kidani
BEST GIMMICK LA Park
WORST GIMMICK Riott Squad (all tied)

19 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Seth Rollins most overrated is a bit much. He’s had a few stinkers this year sure, but he’s still fantastic in the ring and good on the mic.

Absolute blandlord,  not worth a huge push, he Ortons every feud he’s in, it may be a matter of presentation but I turn off whenever he comes on. 

58 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Absolute blandlord,  not worth a huge push, he Ortons every feud he’s in, it may be a matter of presentation but I turn off whenever he comes on. 

I’m not his biggest fan and his heel run as champion literally caused me to stop wrestling, but I think there’s far worse guys they could run with. My pick for Rumble winner.

I'd say that the first half of the year probably puts Rollins above some in that category, especially with some of the outstanding TV stuff he was doing. Being involved in a rivalry with the eternally bland Ambrose can't help either tbh.

Overrated... I'd probably go with Cody on that. Had highlights, and has a commendable star quality outside of WWE, but in the ring, he's been his usual bland most of the year.

28 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I'd say that the first half of the year probably puts Rollins above some in that category, especially with some of the outstanding TV stuff he was doing. Being involved in a rivalry with the eternally bland Ambrose can't help either tbh.

Overrated... I'd probably go with Cody on that. Had highlights, and has a commendable star quality outside of WWE, but in the ring, he's been his usual bland most of the year.

Also stunk the place out at Wrestle Kingdom the other week. One of the main worries I have about AEW is him main-eventing.

I've been watching old Raws on the Network and currently in January 98, just after the Rumble.

This NWA stuff is abysmal and the crowd could not care less. Jeff Jarrett is terrible and it seems like it was all done just to shut Cornette up.

The Rock and Roll Express are out now. They must have been a 'had to been there' thing because I've always thought they were fucking dreadful with the cross eyed one and the mullet one.

They're 40 here but look absolutely ancient. Look at the guys on the roster now who are 40 or near enough and the difference is indescribable. They're so utterly out of place here, but that might have been the point I suppose. Didn't work as they, and all the other NWA shit, were boring and a waste of time.

Edited by DA Baracus

In the 80s and early 90s, Rock N Roll Express were the absolute business. There's a match on the Allied Powers DVD set with Ivan Koloff and Krusher Khruschev which is probably my favourite non stipulation tag match ever. Their stuff with the Midnight Express is amazing and easy to find, but also features a god awful scaffold match. There's stuff I'm forgetting. Thinking about it, the Midnight Express were great too.

“The Mullet One”...f**k me rigid! Ricky Morton is one of the greatest  baby faces of all time! 

As noted above, their feud with The Russians and The Midnight Express in the mid-80s for NWA and Mid-South was absolute gold. I’ll also throw in the matches against the Sheepherders and The Heavenly Bodies. So much good stuff

I’d be up for a couple of Abyss matches tbh, definitely a Rumble entry but about a 1% chance of that happening sadly. 

Ronda in WWE could’ve been so much bigger. Made her basically just another member of the roster and the buzz around her died pretty significantly.