The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

34 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, that's probably the closest, but I'd still say the deathmatches have far more context in what they're trying to do.

Aye, that's what bothers me. What she did could easily have been used in a sort of "this is how much I hate this woman that I'd degrade her like this". Instead she's made it clear it was played for laughs. I wouldn't even want to see it in that context, but it'd at least be understandable and I don't think I'd take much issue with it.

EDIT: Worth noting that Priscilla Kelly is using this new found infamy to try and raise money for charity, which is about as constructive a use of this whole thing as you could imagine.

Edited by Principal Flutie

6 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Just me who thinks AEW will fail due to the Young Bucks, Cody & Omega getting too big for their boots?

Think "too big for their boots" is a harsh way of putting it. It's a bunch of guys with ambition.

My main concern is that there's a lot of competition for their fanbase with NJPW expanding, ROH doing well, WWE providing solid wrestling products on the Network. They'll need to provide something a bit different to what's already there, or book some seriously good shit to put them above the norm. 

I think at the very least they'll be at the size of a successful indy. Whether that's enough for them or not is another matter.

Most of the initial speculation around AEW and their trademarks have proven to be true. So Tuesday Night Dynamite has quite a bit of validity around it. They must be pretty sure of a decent TV deal to have gone with a name like that. Try and pick up the fans used to wrestling on Tuesdays when Smackdown goes to Fridays on Fox.

They're doing a live rally in just over 15 minutes. Expect announcements! It's available on Twitter, Facebook and various sites.

Apparently one of the announcements will be the signing of Pac.

Good wee watch. Joey Janella and Penelope Ford confirmed as well. Also MJF and SCU (SCU!).

Jericho though! Top stuff. Guy is one of the best of all time. Nice wee dig at the 'E as well with that "changing the Universe' line.

Really looking forward to AEW and I’m a big fan of both the roster and some of the things coming out of the presser yesterday. Can’t help but feel they’ve given themselves too much to do too soon however. They’re immediatly positioning themselves as a competitor to WWE without even having a TV deal secured. The events will sell out, easily, but they’ve a long way to go before they can “take over the universe” as Y2J said.

Well, they've certainly got WWE rattled. They probably know that's where Omega is going now too, and are taking the huff over that as well. I don't think Omega is as important to any competition between those two as some might think. As far as competing with ROH though, having Omega could be huge.

AEW kinda implied they could end up working with NJPW in the future as well. That'd benefit both parties a great deal.