The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

21 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, TheGoon said:
That’s thing. Ronda could legitimately murder anyone on either roster if she wanted to, think WWE need to remind folk of that a bit more. Perhaps why I hate her smiling, always happy character so much. 

I think lesnar may have the beating of her.

Forgot about him :lol: Here that’d be some fight.

Chat that Taker won't be involved at Mania. Not entirely unexpected.
Don't think I've posted this here previously...

Fantasy booking scenario:

Mania goes ahead without Taker and whilst it's notable that he's not there, the commentary team don't make a huge deal about it, only stating that despite rumours that have made the rounds, they have had no official notice that he has actually retired. The show ends with the ladies making history in the main event and presumably Becky beating Rousey or perhaps if it's a triple threat, pinning Charlotte so they can do a 1 on 1 match down the line.

Brock retains the Universal Championship against Rollins at Mania in a decidedly sketchy fashion e.g. Rollins having him beat but the ref is down, allowing Heyman to interfere. F5 on a chair or similar and Brock snatches the win. However, his next defense is a triple threat and in a similar situation to the ladies match before, he loses his title without being pinned when Rollins pins the other person in the match (perhaps Drew or even a returning Roman).

Balor (who has had a run of successive wins on TV) then challenges Rollins to a 1 on 1 match at Summerslam. They have a fantastic back & forth match with each performer pulling out all the stops. Eventually, Balor gets the better of Rollins and pins him, finally regaining his Universal Championship which he never actually lost.

After there being no mention or reference to Taker for several months post Mania (with him out doing the ITR tour and other non-wrestling appearances), we suddenly hear that he will return soon to make an important announcement. This ties in with Raw being somewhere in Texas, relatively close to where he actually lives (Austin I believe). Raw goes on as normal until the final segment. Lights go out and the bell tolls as is customary, however rather than the usual methodical death march to the ring, we suddenly hear the roar of an engine as a headlight emerges from the fog and he comes out on the bike in his street clothes (well, the way he dresses for out of ring stuff where he's still billed as Taker i.e. bandana, black cut off shirt etc). He addresses the crowd speaking normally and reflects on the past few years (i.e. post streak). Perhaps a bit like that almost forgotten transitional phase in late 99, post Ministry but before he came back as full on ABA. He says he will have one last match but does not yet have an opponent.

Cue weeks of different folk cutting promos about how they should get to face him in his final match. Ends up Balor offering to put his Universal title on the line to which the Phenom says "You're on". The match is set for Survivor Series. Maybe another couple of promos or packages (not overexposing him) in the weeks before from Taker still almost as 'Mark' but talking about how he will "channel the darkness one last time" and that whatever the outcome, he will be done at the end. They could even do an old school 'sit down' interview with Taker, perhaps getting JR to do it given the importance.

Naturally, the match main events Survivor Series. Despite his deteriorating physical condition, Balor still knows the gravity of the challenge and of course goes full on "demon" for the match, out of necessity but perhaps also out of respect for the Deadman, who would expect nothing less.

Things could start not dissimilar to Balor’s match with Brock in that he's out of the gate very quickly and is straight on Taker from the get go. Balor naturally doing most of the work, flying around on the attack and also selling for Taker. Few near falls without spamming finishers. Bit of mat work with Taker showcasing some of his MMA influenced submissions aswell as Finn getting holds on but neither man willing to tap. Chokeslam and Tombstone/Last Ride but Balor either kicks out or rolls out of the ring before he can be pinned. Ending could almost be like a reversal the 2nd Taker-HBK match went with Taker refusing to stay down. Balor eventually hits the Coup de Grâce multiple times and gets the 1-2-3 cleanly.

Quick celebration from Balor then a swift exit to give Taker the ring and allow him to take in the crowd for the final time. Taker then rides off into the sunset. Naturally he headlines the HOF the next year.

I gave up at him being fae Austin.  He's fae Death Valley ya speccy tube.

In all seriousness though, it's a decent scenario.  I think if it is indeed it for Taker, then it's been a bit of a shiter.  An absolutely embarassing main event at WM (not entirely his fault) and then a pointless return alongside Kane to pop some buy rates.  Forgetting everything other than who he is and what's he's given, I think he needs that one last match to give a proper send-off.

But, taking everything into account, that final match would likely need to be booked to perfection to not just be a repeat of the Reigns match.  He's a shadow of his former self, and even the chaotic no DQ style approach didn't do him much good in his recent matches.  I think he's just privately said to Vince that he's done, and he doesn't want that final one.  Fair enough, he doesn't really have anything left to prove.

26 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

So, Arn Anderson apparently got released for letting Alicia Fox work a house show drunk. Begs the question, why is she still employed?

I just thought that was her new gimmick that she stoated about acting plastered all the time.

1 hour ago, JamieStevenson said:

King Kong Bundy has passed away.

Shame. He was always quite insightful and well spoken every time I heard him in a shoot interview. 

Never came across as bitter or angry at the business, even when he talked about the times he was shit on, he did so in a quite reasonable manner, which was a refreshing departure when listening to 80s wrestlers.

Tomasso Ciampa out from amywhere between 6-14 months for neck surgery. Gutted for the guy, but could definitely see him being back on TV much sooner like Stone Cold was in 97. Hope so. 

31 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Tomasso Ciampa out from amywhere between 6-14 months for neck surgery. Gutted for the guy, but could definitely see him being back on TV much sooner like Stone Cold was in 97. Hope so. 

That's a real shiter on pretty much every level.