The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

10 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

Also did Braun more good than harm at the time. A big part of his rise at the time.

Exactly. I think he's a little too goofy to be a straight-faced monster. They might as well lean into the camp and let him go over with a nod and a wink to how ridiculous it all is. Obvs WWE's idea of fun is usually horrific but a daft train horn and winning tag titles with a 10 year old stays on the right side of daft fun, IMO. 

ETA: even before that he was trying to kill Roman Reigns and there was that handicap match where his team mates tried to murder him. It's all a bit stupid but it works if it isn't treated like '98 Kane.

Edited by NotThePars

The Nicholas moment might have been even better if it didn't take place in hour 38 of the 40 hour show.

I don't see him as an entirely goofy character, I'd like to see them lean into the person he is.  There was that interview with him where he talked about his mental health issues, and pretty serious bullying as a kid, tearing up as he talks about it.  WWE do amazing work with their docs and showing the person behind the character, and I'd be well up for seeing Braun be a guy with sadness in his past, who channeled it all into turning into a monster who likes to throw heels around.  They could easily have done something like that with him and Shane.

Guest bernardblack
3 hours ago, NotThePars said:

someone’s made a thread out of an Andrade interview. The wildest thing alluded to here is Andrade apparently saying a WWE doctor has falsely told multiple women that they’re pregnant.

The Charlotte stuff is wild. 

Also he was on three million dollars a year?!

Braver man than me to walk away from that 

Some nice stuff in that interview, particularly the image that he was terrified of Ric Flair when they started dating.  Rest of the stuff is wild, particularly the doctor stuff.  For the female talent involved, if you're not planning that, it must be quite the news that you're potentially going to be putting your career on ice for a year at least.  And if you're someone who is trying, he tells you you are and then you're not?  f**k sake.

4 hours ago, Andre Drazen said:

Something has been lost in translation there. There's literally no fucking chance he was making that.

Can see it being the case. He was a huge star in Mexico and Vince McMahon chucking around cash to stop other promotions having big stars was in full swing. It's nothing compared to the cost of setting up and running NXT UK just because a shitty show that no one watched and almost no one liked (World of Sport) got on TV.

Guest bernardblack
31 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Can see it being the case. He was a huge star in Mexico and Vince McMahon chucking around cash to stop other promotions having big stars was in full swing. It's nothing compared to the cost of setting up and running NXT UK just because a shitty show that no one watched and almost no one liked (World of Sport) got on TV.

Yeah I was going to say it was around the time anyone and everyone was getting a chunky deal to keep them. 

On 30/03/2021 at 21:30, DA Baracus said:

On 30/03/2021 at 22:02, bernardblack said:

Yeah I was going to say it was around the time anyone and everyone was getting a chunky deal to keep them. 

I might be wrong but there was something released about salaries a couple of years back and I don't even think Cena was quite making 3 mill direct from the Fed. If he was then it was seriously limited to him and maybe one or two others.

There's been more interviews and turns out Andrade wasn't making €3M a year. Seems that he meant he would make that much over the duration of his contract, but it isn't stated how long that contract was and if the €3M is after tax and/or expenses.

Even if you take away all of the bullshit, this is an odd decision. It really felt like they were going to go all in on Ibushi and there's been no reason to go against that.

Add the bullshit, which NJPW are aware of btw, and basically you've got a terrible decision all ends up.