The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

She's an abysmal person. Plus I don't think we've seen the last of her on TV or in creative.

I don’t see her involvement as a bad thing. Heel Steph is excellent at being that person and in that sense, yes she is very much Vince’s daughter. 

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Massivd Trump supporter and donor. Said that philanthropy is the future of marketing. Claiming credit for the 'women's revolution'.

She's very much Vince's daughter.

As is the case with 99% of folk and their day jobs, the political leanings have very little if any bearing on them as a person or what they do at work. 

I also don’t think she’s too wide of the mark with her views on philanthropy either.

25 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I don’t see her involvement as a bad thing. Heel Steph is excellent at being that person and in that sense, yes she is very much Vince’s daughter. 

As is the case with 99% of folk and their day jobs, the political leanings have very little if any bearing on them as a person or what they do at work. 

I also don’t think she’s too wide of the mark with her views on philanthropy either.

I hate her heel character. It's awful. She's portrayed as someone who belittles folk and never gets her comeuppance for it. Vince constantly got humiliated by Stone Cold and battered by him and others. 

Can't agree that someone being a Trummp supporter can really be a decent person, likewise if someone is a Tory.

On the Philanthropy line...well, she's not really wrong is she?  It's still a pretty odious thing to say, but better a company funneling large amounts of money into philanthropy for less than pure philanthropic reasons, than doing nothing at all.

The rest, aye fair enough.  Although I would give her more time in the role to see how she does on her own.  Previously it didn't really matter who was in these roles as Vince would do what he liked regardless.  There's a chance that she ends up being markedly different. Or worse.

EDIT: And just to add particularly on the character stuff from the previous post.  That's spot on.  She was a great at being hated, absolutely, but like you say, Vince was that too but was still willing to lose and put someone else over in the process.  He got his comeuppance.  Steph has very, very rarely gotten that.  Obviously you're unlikely to have a male talent beat the shit out of her (minor points for Reigns spearing her, but I think everyone had fallen asleep by that point), but it was rare she even let the women do that.  Rousey did it, but it's vanishingly rare she was ever actually put in the position where it was possible.  Brie Bella was the only other time as far as I can remember, and big Steph went over.

I think if she did come back as an on-screen character (which she won't) and she leaned more into the Vince side of getting comeuppance, she'd be brilliant as a heel.  But of course that spot should be taken up with someone more deserving.  

Edited by forameus

Aye, she clearly knows that side of things well enough, and can be completely separated and allowed to do just that.  Nick Khan gets to continue to crush dreams and grow share prices.  Trips gets to solely concentrate on the booking and the roster.  Much better set up than the two former doing those jobs under the maniacal and senile gaze of Big V

Say what you want about Steph (and most folk have) - she was absolutely adored as an on screen face whilst GM of Smackdown and going up against Bischoff.

She was probably one of the biggest faces in the company at that time though I've no doubt that was helped along by the fact that she was looking as good as she ever did before or since in her time on TV.

I mean, a cold open of a WWE show with this is never going to get you heat, it is it?!

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I hate her heel character. It's awful. She's portrayed as someone who belittles folk and never gets her comeuppance for it. Vince constantly got humiliated by Stone Cold and battered by him and others. 

Can't agree that someone being a Trummp supporter can really be a decent person, likewise if someone is a Tory.

She is a tremendous heel. You’re kinda pissing on your own “case against” here because the belittling of folk with little or no comeuppance is prime means for drawing heat.

As for the political stuff - In terms of kayfabe it might be worth a punt if a character were to lean one way or the other politically as part of the charade if it’s to get over/draw heat from the live crowd and viewers. 

But having a gripe with their on screen ”character” where politics isn’t part of it based on their political views away from wrestling is just silly talk.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

As for the political stuff - In terms of kayfabe it might be worth a punt if a character were to lean one way or the other politically as part of the charade if it’s to get over/draw heat from the live crowd and viewers. 

Nope. Can't go with that at all.

In the current climate in America that is every bit as bad an idea as putting a guy in a Rangers top and giving him a 'staunch' gimmick in the West of Scotland.

Also it ages dreadfully. Some of the worst stuff WWF ever done was the skits with a paid Bill Clinton impersonator back in the mid 90s and having him fight 'Rosie O'Donnell'. It was shite at the time and is even worse now with nearly 3 decades behind it. 

Though did I completely dream up that there was a Liberal or Politically correct character in the plans a couple of years ago that got swiftly binned after less than two weeks? 

Edited by djchapsticks

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In the current climate in America that is every bit as bad an idea as putting a guy in a Rangers top and giving him a 'staunch' gimmick in the West of Scotland.

Also it ages dreadfully. Some of the worst stuff WWF ever done was the skits with a paid Bill Clinton impersonator back in the mid 90s and having him fight 'Rosie O'Donnell'. It was shite at the time and is even worse now with nearly 3 decades behind it. 

Though did I completely dream up that there was a Liberal or Politically correct character in the plans a couple of years ago that got swiftly binned after less than two weeks? 

It wasn’t a literal suggestion for a character gimmick. Maybe could’ve worded it better. I was more trying to emphasise that Steph’s on screen character and her political viewpoint are two totally separate things. Disliking her on screen persona partly due to her off screen political stance is daft. 

I mean, wrestling is hardly known for its good guys. Pretty much the vast majority are utter scumbags. The one's that aren't are definitely in the minority. It's very much a carnival atmosphere.

Only really changed for the better in the last decade or so.

Saw it said that Vince is now up to 4.7 WCWs in terms of missing money.  Some going.

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think stuff like that could have a place, but perhaps not in a company like WWE, or even AEW.  I'm sure there is - or at least was - a Tory character in some indie fed here called Strong and Stable (although googling it, it seems the podcast I listened to maybe made him up, as all I get is either British Strong Style or Roderick Strong).  I think as a tool to get heat, if you do it smartly it definitely has a place.  If it's dumb as shit - which WWE will often be - then not so much.  As for liberal/PC characters, remember Daniel Bryan wanting to save the planet?  Heel.  I imagine Sami Zayn would probably have pitched his current character more towards the face side, but he's a filthy liberal who likes charity, so obviously a heel.

And I think you're misremembering the Rosie O'Donnell stuff.  It was actually Rosie vs Donald Trump, with big Don obviously going over.  It was indeed fucking brutal to watch.

Edited by forameus

32 minutes ago, forameus said:

And I think you're misremembering the Rosie O'Donnell stuff.  It was actually Rosie vs Donald Trump, with big Don obviously going over.  It was indeed fucking brutal to watch.

Yeah. I'm mixing two things up.

The Clinton stuff was toe-curling as well.

35 minutes ago, forameus said:

Saw it said that Vince is now up to 4.7 WCWs in terms of missing money.  Some going.

I think stuff like that could have a place, but perhaps not in a company like WWE, or even AEW.  I'm sure there is - or at least was - a Tory character in some indie fed here called Strong and Stable (although googling it, it seems the podcast I listened to maybe made him up, as all I get is either British Strong Style or Roderick Strong).  I think as a tool to get heat, if you do it smartly it definitely has a place.  If it's dumb as shit - which WWE will often be - then not so much.  As for liberal/PC characters, remember Daniel Bryan wanting to save the planet?  Heel.  I imagine Sami Zayn would probably have pitched his current character more towards the face side, but he's a filthy liberal who likes charity, so obviously a heel.

It was Joe Gacy I was thinking of.

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/celebrity/wwes-woke-wrestler-joe-gacy-already-cancelled

37 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There was a lad in ICW who did the whole Tory/Sevco/Unionist pish.

One of the things (in tandem with increasingly rubbish matches and booking and the very obviously bloated egos of the main players in the company) that put an end to me giving them my money, in advance of finding out they were full of raging perverts. I think he's still doing that terrible gimmick. 

18 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

One of the things (in tandem with increasingly rubbish matches and booking and the very obviously bloated egos of the main players in the company) that put an end to me giving them my money, in advance of finding out they were full of raging perverts. I think he's still doing that terrible gimmick. 

Aye, likewise.

2 hours ago, Tiger Driver said:

Worse, there's two of them. Jason Reed & Thatcher Wright.

f**k sake.